Copyright filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright filing

I plan on turning comic books I’ve made on my iPad Pro into pdf’s and submitting them electronically to the US copyright office before submitting them for sale to Gumroad.

My question involves the front and inside front cover and inside and rear back cover, how do I get them to stay where they are supposed to be in the pdf? If I have page numbers like 01 and 02, they stay in numerical order, but what about the cover files? I want them where they are supposed to be.

Does anyone here have experience with this?
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

I've never filed with the Copyright office, but are you worrying about your PDF document page number matching your publication page numbering? I would be surprised if that matters, but again, I'm not an expert on that.
    Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Originally posted by pell View Post
      I've never filed with the Copyright office, but are you worrying about your PDF document page number matching your publication page numbering? I would be surprised if that matters, but again, I'm not an expert on that.
      I hope you’re right. Should the cover be numbered with a smaller number than the first page number?

Edit: so in other words, if the comic was 48 pages long and there was a front cover, inside cover, inside rear cover and inside back cover, the total pages would be 52? So page 1 of the comic would actually be page 3 of the pdf?
      Last edited by Ace Corona; 05-16-2021, 02:45 PM.
      The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

If I were filing I would do more research than I've done to reply to you (which is none, actually, though I've researched it a little over the years), but I'm saying that I doubt the copyright office cares if the number of pages of art you are copyrighting matches the page numbering system you are using within the publication. In other words, if you have a total of 52 pages including all the cover pages, then copyright 52 pages. I'm saying that I doubt the copyright office cares what number is printed on the pages themselves for publication purposes. But again, you may want to ask the copyright office before submitting.

Edit: Do I remember right that there is a limit of 50 pages for a single submission? In that case, if your inside covers are not anything you care about all that much, then why not drop them from the submission to avoid extra expenses? If it's a table of contents or something like that, if someone wants to steal that for some reason, hey, knock yourself out, right? In that case, make sure you can have non-copyrighted pages within a publication. Or just two random non-consecutive pages that wouldn't do anybody any good anyway? I mean, if money is an issue here...
        Last edited by pell; 05-16-2021, 11:35 PM.
        Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Originally posted by pell View Post
          If I were filing I would do more research than I've done to reply to you (which is none, actually, though I've researched it a little over the years), but I'm saying that I doubt the copyright office cares if the number of pages of art you are copyrighting matches the page numbering system you are using within the publication. In other words, if you have a total of 52 pages including all the cover pages, then copyright 52 pages. I'm saying that I doubt the copyright office cares what number is printed on the pages themselves for publication purposes. But again, you may want to ask the copyright office before submitting.

Edit: Do I remember right that there is a limit of 50 pages for a single submission? In that case, if your inside covers are not anything you care about all that much, then why not drop them from the submission to avoid extra expenses? If it's a table of contents or something like that, if someone wants to steal that for some reason, hey, knock yourself out, right? In that case, make sure you can have non-copyrighted pages within a publication. Or just two random non-consecutive pages that wouldn't do anybody any good anyway? I mean, if money is an issue here...
          Can you link to where you read that 50 pages is the limit? And thank you for taking the time to respond.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

I remembered that there was a limit and I was wondering if it was 50 based on your concern about 52 pages. I checked and saw that the limit is 10 "unpublished works", but I would guess that the pages of a comic book are all part of one unpublished work. I suppose I'm still not sure about what you're worried about, since filing copyright is about proving ownership Here's the link to the copyright registration page:

https://copyright.gov/registration/

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X