Lettering my comics with InDesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettering my comics with InDesign

Does anyone else letter with Adobe InDesign? I created a video on how I letter my comics using InDesign. For years I used Illustrator, but I feel that in the past year, using InDesign has helped to speed up my process. Feel free to check it out here at my blog: https://realm-ethereal.com/how-i-letter-my-comic-book/

By the way, I want to apologize for the video because at somewhere around a little over half way-through to 3/4 of the way through the video, the audio and video are off-sync. I'm not sure how that happened. A glitch with my software, I suppose.
    Rene Arreola

InDesign can be used to letter comic books, but it is really designed for the final stages in production. Illustrator is the tool most used for professional comic book lettering.

Sean Glumace (http://letteringcomics.com/) has two wonderful tutorials on YouTube that explain in detail how to letter comics books using Illustrator. The tutorials come from a presentation he gave in 2015, if I remember correctly. They are both about 45 minutes long, but it is time well spent since he covers not only the lettering process, but the assembly of the pages for print.
    CyberLord
    Smashing 37 arch-villains into raisins with his bare-hands since 1971!

Comment

For years I did use Illustrator to letter my comics and you are correct, it is the professional comic book letterer’s choice for lettering. I think the biggest advantage to me lettering directly in InDesign is fewer overall files to manage. I don’t have to manage .ai files. Admittedly, this is the first time I have lettered my comics using InDesign. I guess the proof will be once I go to print with the first issue of my Realm Ethereal comic book and I can judge the results in print. Thanks for the Sean Glumace website link. It’s always good to get another perspective or a refresher for lettering.
      Rene Arreola

Comment

If managing files is your concern, just use Photoshop to letter your comic. Illustrator is really over-powered for comic book lettering purposes. Howard Chaykin's comic "The Divided States of Hysteria" was lettered in Photoshop and I would not have noticed if I had not been told.
        Last edited by CyberLord; 10-23-2019, 11:56 AM. Reason: Corrected the name of the comic.
        CyberLord
        Smashing 37 arch-villains into raisins with his bare-hands since 1971!

Comment

Lettering in Photoshop would be the same as lettering in Illustrator to me. As an example, 22 pages of lettered comic book pages, be it in Photoshop or Illustrator, is still 22 individually lettered files. In InDesign, I'm essentially laying out and lettering an entire comic book in one, multi-page indd document. And, I can work in reader spreads, which is a real plus for me personally.

I would personally never letter with Photoshop if I could help it. I have too many years working in the commercial printing industry as a prepress department manager and graphic artist to know that I want my fonts to remain vector as much as possible. That being said, I can totally appreciate that there's more than one way to letter a comic book and get it printed. And no doubt, more and more digital illustration/print/drawing programs are getting better and better at producing print-ready files.
          Rene Arreola

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X