Printer / Scanner help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer / Scanner help!

I've been trying to search this topic for a week but my ID didn't work, so I'm calling for help here.

I'm split to buy between

Brother MFC J6930dw (11x17 Scan/Print)
    Canon Pixma Pro 100 (13X19 - Printer only- no scanner)

My main purpose will be doing layouts digitally and printing bluelines on bristol. But I may sometimes want to scan a inked page and color in photoshop.

I'm leaning toward Canon's superb print quality as I will surely enjoy printing photos & art prints at home as well. But was wondering if I really need 11x17 capable scanner (I have Letter size scanner).
    Will I be fine with stitching sections in photoshop if I want to buy Canon printer ?

I stumbled upon this info that Smitty is using Epson 1280. That means even pros are fine with stitching in photoshop without a big scanner?
    Last edited by humble-tomatoF; 12-01-2017, 01:00 PM.

It's up to you.

I never really enjoyed piecing together individual scans. There would always be some skew to the image, so it would require adjustment. Then there would be inconsistent lighting from the scanner I had, so one end would be slightly darker than the other. So an 11x17 scanner was a gift from the heavens.

Now, I've been focusing on digital work 100%, so I might just go with the higher quality printer in order to produce merch to sell, without paying a third party. Ultimately you want these neat toys to pay for them damn selves.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Thanks Pencilero. I guess I will need the both big scanner and big printer to keep the both world happy

Comment

I've never had issues with stitching scans, though I did have similar issues with one scan being darker than the other. Skew issues can be avoided as long as you keep the page level when scanning - at least it worked for me.Once you convert the line work, the mismatched scan tones are moot since you'll be filling the background with white.

that said, if you can afford both a large format scanner and printer, go for it. Brother's are typically pretty good workhorses imo.
        Check out Film Grouch!

Wanna be uncool? Unhip? Unhung? Join the Monkey Revolution!

Amadarwin's unauthorized, unscathing, unfinished biography.

Comment

If you don't need to print high quality prints, you don't really need a Pixma Pro-100. I have one, and it's solely for printing business cards, art print, postcards, and photos on good paper. It's a great printer.

If all you want is to print bluelines on Bristol, it's a waste of money to get something like a Pixma Pro series printer. A good desktop inkjet that can handle tabloid/11x17 paper will do. I have a Brother MFCJ5720DW all-in-one that can handle 11x17 printing. The scanner/copy bed is only legal size. The printer is okay; I print the interiors of ashcans on it. I'd try another brand next time, likely Canon.

I have a separate 12x17 Microtek 9800XL scanner that I use for scanning. I hated stitching together artwork in Photoshop when all I had was an 8.5x11 scanner, but it worked until I could afford an large scanner.
          Artist. Writer. Creator. Designer. Imaginator
          Phillip Ginn

Comment

Originally posted by humble-tomatoF View Post
            I stumbled upon this info that Smitty is using Epson 1280. That means even pros are fine with stitching in photoshop without a big scanner?
            The 1280 was a printer not a scanner.

My scanner is an Epson 836XL. The only time I stitch pages is if I work "twice up". At 12.25" x 17" the bed's too short to scan 12" x 18" pages in a single pass. Stitching is a @#$%! pain in the @#$%! but, when you care enough to go twice up, it's the price you pay.

If you do go with the letter sized, here's a tip: NEVER turn the pages!!! The scanner will most likely have a "lip" or raised edge on one side for use as a registration bar. If it doesn't, or it's on the long side (you want the short side) you can build your own. Slap the page flush to the bar, scan the "top" and slide the page up to scan the "bottom" half. The idea that your art boards sides are perfectly parallel are slim to none. Turning the page will rarely result in a true 180. Sliding allows for better alignment. Stitching in the gutters isn't always an option.
            PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Ignore this post please.
              Can't remove a link once it's attached.

Comment

Great tip Smitty. My scanner has raised edges on all four sides. (Epson perfection 3490)

I guess I will have to build a registration bar on one side. What do you mean stitching in the the gutters isn't always an option.

Comment

Long before comics went cuckoo for coco-puffs, bleeds and overlapping panels, panels were separate entities with clear open spaces between them. These spaces are called "gutters". Not all pages have them, splash pages being a prime example. Even pages with gutters will not always provide one horizontally all across the page. Those that do will rarely have one at the halfway mark as the most common horizontal divisions are thirds. When you make cuts in the gutters, no lines are split; Cut through the art and ALL lines are split.

When I double scan a page (1A/1B) one scan is missing the top inch, the other misses the bottom inch, leaving me with 17" of overlap to play with. I can stitch at the 1/3 mark or 2/3 or 3/5 etc. You'll be scanning in halves, you'll be lucky to get 2 inches of overlap. Unless you scan pages 3-4-5 times, the vast majority of your seams will be right through the middle of your art! EEK!

Even when sliding between scans, halves will rarely matchup perfectly. If your seams are a straight cut, they'll stick out like a sore thumb. Seams should wind like a river, a sine wave, or the cuts of a jigsaw puzzle: over Cap's head, under Thor's boot, through Iron Man's belt as you cut across the image.

PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Thanks a lot. now I know what those are called. And I never thought about using gutters as a seam, which I will try to do whenever I have a chance. And the wavy seam is great tip too. Brilliance!

Comment

I have an A3 Brother multi-function, the printer part is actually really high-quality, you can make photo quality prints for sure if you don't care about the cost of ink. The scanner part is documents quality, forget about scanning paintings or even magazines because it doesn't capture color faithfully.

Comment

Ah great. Thanks for the info..

Comment

If you want an high quality scanner for your art you need to get one that is CCD (and preferably one with a fluorescent lamp and not LED) and not CIS, even if you have to scan in parts it's better because it has more depth and you can even scan 3D objects like a pencil (just an example). For comic-book line-art either pencils or inks without shading the more common CIS works perfectly fine.

http://www.canon.com/technology/now/input/scan.html

https://www.tavco.net/wide-format-pl...r-technologies

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X