Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accidental Plagirism: Should I redo these pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental Plagirism: Should I redo these pages?

I've been working on my webcomic Oi! for about a year now, but the past two months I have been kind of unsure if I should start it up again.
    Chapter II starts here: http://oi.thecomicseries.com/comics/26/ just for reference, not as a spam ad.

It's not because I've lost passion for the project or dont know where the story goes, I have it planned for a very long time.

I got 6 pages in to Chapter 2 and then hit a brick wall. I found out about this comic artist named Becky Cloonan, her work is amazing and she draws exactly how I wish I knew how to draw. She's done stuff for Conan and worked with Brian Wood and self published her own stories.

It was after purchasing one of her self published stories, Demeter, that screwed up my own comics progress. Ive kept churning out pages for different stories but havent felt able to continue Oi. Don't get me wrong, Demeter is incredible. The problem is, reading through it, there are so many similarities to my issue 2. Only of course her story is much more interesting and better drawn.
    Examples:
    -both stories take place with a girl living on a house on a cliff by the sea. The coasts look almost identical IMO.
    -both involve a man coming from the sea and several panels of the two holding eachother.
    -The girl is blond and wears similar clothes to the one I was drawing.

My story is just a story within a story of the history of the founding of the village my comic is set in. Becky Cloonan's is an awesome gothic fantasy romance.

Anyone who knows both works will definately assume I just ripped her off.

VISUAL EXAMPLES:
    Cloonan:

Me:

Cloonan:

Me:

Yeah I really feel like I need to start over and redraw or something. In my mind they are too eerily similar, and it just looks like I ripped her off, even directly ripping off some of her panels. That's the only reason I havent felt able to continue with Oi, and have been spending the past months on other projects. On a side note, everyone who doesnt know Becky Cloonan should check out her work, also Wolves and The Mire. For me she's the best artist in comics today.

But anyways yeah, even though the plagirism is accidental and I did it unknowingly, to me it still feels like I ripped her off. Do you think I should redraw the chapter so far?

This is just a boy meets girl story at sea. You two aren't the first to write such a tale.

There is no ripoff going on here, it does feel like hype for your strip.

Also there are no tips or techniques being given or to be gained here, so this should not be here. You're just asking for an opinion.
    Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute Book is free to download.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Comment

I have no idea what makes you think this is any kind of plagiarism. On the generous basis that you're not trying to use this as a sideways attempt at hyping your material, do kids these days just not know what plagiarism is? I hear the goofiest shit out of DevArt kids sometimes.

I'm looking for a reason not to move this to the Bulletin Board, where promotional posts go. Is there a discussion to be had regarding what qualifies as plagiarism?
      ONLINE PORTFOLIO
      DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Comment

This thread could be an attempt at promoting his strip, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and think he more wanted reassurance that he wouldn't be accused of plagarism.

I see where he's coming from. It would suck to be working on something and then read a book for the first time and see a lot of simiarities. And while other people probably wouldn't think anything of it, since you're the one drawing it, you're going to be concerned with it. Or I would be at least.

But ultimately, no, I don't think anyone is going to accuse you of plagarism. As Symson said, neither of you are the first to do something like this. Cloonan's has her stamp on it, for sure. Yours may to, but this is the first of your stuff i've seen, so I couldn't say for sure.

But, and this also could have been a reason for the post, I do really dig your art style. I get a Barnaby Ward vibe.

Comment

Concepts need to have a LOT in common before they can even be referred to as derisive. For actual plagiarism you have to directly lift the text itself (I think), or at least some portion of it.

On a related note, copyright extends to the use of an image itself, not the concepts of the image. Trademarking covers a broader range of stuff that people usually attribute to copyright (such as names and the use of concepts within certain contexts), but it also requires a more stringent process to enforce.

But mostly, I just wish folks would worry less about what ANYONE else is doing or has done. Focus strictly on your own creation, get it done and get it out into the world, and don't worry about the rest. If you're not actually copying content from other creators wholesale, nobody is going to care if you share common elements with other stories. Hell, in some cases it's a massive selling point ("if you like that, you might also like this").

But nobody should stop creating just because they found out someone else "already did it". Figure out why you're doing it, and work through to that purpose.
          Last edited by Inkthinker; 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM.
          ONLINE PORTFOLIO
          DevArt

Comment

Originally posted by Inkthinker View Post
            I have no idea what makes you think this is any kind of plagiarism. On the generous basis that you're not trying to use this as a sideways attempt at hyping your material, do kids these days just not know what plagiarism is? I hear the goofiest shit out of DevArt kids sometimes.

I'm looking for a reason not to move this to the Bulletin Board, where promotional posts go. Is there a discussion to be had regarding what qualifies as plagiarism?
            im not trying to hype it. I genuinely dont feel comfortable proceeding because after I read Demeter mid September I felt like a ripoff and assumed others who knew Cloonan would call me a ripoff. Maybe its all in my head though. Mods please delete, or move it to the Bulletins board, I wasnt sure which forum to post it in, I wasn't trying to break rules and no I am not trying to give fake adverts for my webcomic, sorry everyone.

The story is way different from Cloonans, it was just the visual similarities that really messed me up in the head, in both the girl is blond, the cliffs they live on look almost the same etc etc.

Thanks for the advice and assurances.

Comment

No plagiarism here, Odesosa, don't worry, be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkthinker View Post
                But mostly, I just wish folks would worry less about what ANYONE else is doing or has done. Focus strictly on your own creation, get it done and get it out into the world, and don't worry about the rest.
                Best advice right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ddesosa View Post
                  im not trying to hype it. I genuinely dont feel comfortable proceeding because after I read Demeter mid September I felt like a ripoff and assumed others who knew Cloonan would call me a ripoff. Maybe its all in my head though.
                  It's all in your head. Don't let those little voices screw with you, power forward! You know whether you have anything to feel guilty about, and I think you'll be surprised how many people either won't make the connection, or won't care.

Yes, there may be some idiots who give you flack for it (more if you point it out), but what have they produced? They're clueless, and I expect their opinions won't be shared by anyone who actually does the work themselves.

I reckon we can keep it here for the nonce... if nothing else, it serves as an example of what plagiarism is NOT. It is not similarities in theme or even design.

-EDIT- one solution to make yourself feel a little better: the dress. Put a pattern on yours, or a tone, or add some details so that it's not so plain. You've got tons of space around the bottom of the skirt, work something into it (something small, don't overdo it!) and spice it up. If you can work it in digitally (not sure of your process) you could even give her some shoulder ruffles or sleeves or add something to the decolletage.
                  Last edited by Inkthinker; 11-07-2013, 04:35 PM.
                  ONLINE PORTFOLIO
                  DevArt

Comment

Jason Brubaker has an article about exactly this topic. The long & the short of it is, don't worry about it. You and Cloonan are different people with different storytelling styles. Although there are surface similarities, the stories are likely to come out very different. (See Mouse Guard vs. Mice Templar if you don't believe me).
                    Check out Hootie Comics, a funny-animal strip cartoon updated every Thursday and Sunday

Comment

Thanks for posting that link, Bloozit! Reading that article is really helpful for me as well.

And I know how you feel, Ddesosa. But I honestly see a good difference between the stories themselves, and your style is very much your own. I honestly don't see how the cliffs are exactly the same, either.... a cliff is a cliff, and they've both gotta resemble an actual cliff (and therefore each other) for them to be recognisable to the reader.

As an aside, don't feel like you have to draw exactly like Cloonan! I think that your inking style is much more interesting than hers in these examples, tbh.... just keep at it, strengthen your fundamentals as much as you can, and the rest will take care of itself ^_^ But no, if you really have lost all passion for the project and have another you'd rather do, then don't force it.
                      PJ Sketchblog | caperandcrow.tumblr.com | Instagram
                      *Commissions are open!*
                      Pummel Stats: LHW: KO-4/W-3/L-0 ~~ HW: KO-0/W-2/L-0 ~~ SF: KO-1/W-0/L-2

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X