Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorblind Halftones

First upload, don't hurt me!

I've been messing with coloring since I want my next comic to be in color. I'm colorblind, so I've basically spent my whole life avoiding it.

I've always liked the way old comics look with the ben day dots instead of the newer, slicker color. So I found a company that makes brushes that mimics it and I've been playing with it the last couple of weeks. Took a while to understand it and get it working right.

Any thoughts on it would be great. Whether you like it, hate it, would read a whole comic done that way etc. I will say that some of the panels aren't done drawing-wise and one panel I'm going to re-do entirely. It's an old scan. Really, I'm just curious what people think of the coloring.

Thanks.

Last edited by Spiffychicken; 04-20-2021, 11:48 PM.

sigh. I see what people mean about trying to link images on this site : /

I used imgbox, spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure it out

EDIT 2: This is SO FRUSTRATING

EDIT 3: fixed thanks to Smitty!
    Last edited by Spiffychicken; 04-20-2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Find the address of your IMAGE (not imagebox , not your imagebox page, your image) and then place it between img tags [img][/img]. The address of your image is: https://images2.imgbox.com/76/a4/ydnaNVsP_o.jpg

PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
        Find the address of your IMAGE (not imagebox , not your imagebox page, your image) and then place it between img tags [img][/img].[/URL]
        THANK YOU! That distinction needs to be stickied somewhere.

Comment

looks good!
          http://barcsdoodles.blogspot.ie/

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/eoinb

@barcswow on twitter and instagram

Comment

I like it, but that's my sort of look – I'm with you on not being a fan of modern colouring. Works for your art too. I'm also colourblind, and also hate colouring. Did you know that Mike Allred's colourblind? Kinda handy he married a colourist ;-)
            HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

I like it too! Maybe a little too much yellow, but what do I know.. I suck at colors.. Keep posting please!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                I'm also colourblind, and also hate colouring. Did you know that Mike Allred's colourblind? Kinda handy he married a colourist ;-)
                I didn't know that, but I LOVE X-statix' art! I've also heard that Tim Sale is colorblind.

I like it too! Maybe a little too much yellow, but what do I know.. I suck at colors.. Keep posting please!
                Fair enough about the yellow. This was a quick test page to figure out how to use the halftones. I bought some books on color so hopefully months from now when I start coloring pages for real, I'll be a little better at it. I just wanted to see if people liked the idea of the look or if I should abandon it.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

I think it looks great - and really suits the style, too. Gives it all a slightly soft, loose feel, I think it's really well done. I like the somewhat soft/pastel colors, too (and when in doubt I use a lot of yellow, too actually...). Very nice - I've never really got the hang of halftones on computer (either too big or too small to be of use), but this inspires me to try some more.

Comment

Originally posted by shaw View Post
                    I think it looks great - and really suits the style, too. Gives it all a slightly soft, loose feel, I think it's really well done. I like the somewhat soft/pastel colors, too (and when in doubt I use a lot of yellow, too actually...). Very nice - I've never really got the hang of halftones on computer (either too big or too small to be of use), but this inspires me to try some more.
                    Thanks!

I got the halftones from here:

https://www.retrosupply.co/products/...b-for-affinity

I had a hard time using it for days until I saw Smitty's post on the dots in your Laughing Gas post. Then it all clicked. As for the dots being too big, in Colorlab at least, you can adjust the dot pattern size to be bigger or smaller based on your image size. For the page above, I had to make the dots twice as small as the preset to make it look right.

They also have Duplitone which is basically grayscale dot patterns that you can place over any color. I plan to get that too at some point.

Comment

Retro supply has a tutorial on youtube for their "horrific halftone" pack:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvqKhLuQa0

In the description for the video, there is a link to download two free Photoshop brushes. One is pressure sensitive--meaning it will create a darker halftone pattern the harder you press or the more you stroke over an area. The second is more of a fill effect--it doesn't seem to respond to pressure or layering strokes, which is great for simply filling an area with even distribution of dots using the brush. With both of these brushes you can change the size of the dots: open the brush menu in Photoshop. The third item down from the top of the attribute list is texture. Click on it and you should have access to a scale slider on the right that will allow you to change the size of the dots.

By the way, I've been looking at the Photoshop resources on their website, but they list Photoshop CC as a requirement. I'm using CS5, but both of these free brushes worked although a bit slowly at very large size, which is typical for fancy brushes.
                      sketchbook thread

Comment

I love the art style and the colours are fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by battlewraith View Post

By the way, I've been looking at the Photoshop resources on their website, but they list Photoshop CC as a requirement. I'm using CS5, but both of these free brushes worked although a bit slowly at very large size, which is typical for fancy brushes.
                          That's REALLY good to know. I have CS5 on my old macbook. I got Colorlab on my new computer with Affinity Photo because the requirements said CC only. Might risk the money to try it on CS5 someday.

Affinity isn't as good as photoshop but I refuse to pay Adobe on a subscription basis.

I love the art style and the colours are fantastic!
                          Thanks!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X