Proportion lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proportion lineup

Alright, here is my sum of proportion studies. I learned a lesson about perspective, and s curve on spine. And I can see the left 3 guys' left fist pose is weird, but I still can't tell if their S curve is too subtle. (Except for Logan who I know is too stiff)
    Any C+C welcome of course.

This is something every artist should do for their files. It's not required that all artists agree with your proportions but you want to be consistent within your own work. Hulk and Logan are perfect end pieces; the giant and the shrimp, everyone else is somewhere in-between.

I submit you didn't think this all the way through (or I've misunderstood your use of "proportion") If we peg Hulk at 8 feet (which would make your Colossus about 7'5" which fits the Marvel Handbook specs) we can now plot out 7', 6', and 5'.

Your Wolverine is over 6', your Kal is over 7'. Personal style and preferences only cover so much. I submit Wolverine is 5'4", Cap is 6'4. Personally I see Kal as a bit shorter than Cap. Cap is the height of human physical perfection; Kal's just a guy under a yellow sun.

Some PURELY subjective notes: I'd bulk up Colossus and de-bulk Kal and Cap. Peter can be lean but Colossus should be... Colossal-icious. Cap and Kal are borderline musclebound. Slim them up and you'll have someplace to put villains without pumping them up to Hulk territory... but, that's PURELY subjective and what the hell do I know.
    PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Wha.., I had no idea Colossus is supposed to be that tall. I just guesstimated their height. Learn new things everyday. Thanks!

I think I saw it somewhere, but do you have a trick to make a quick perspective lines for standing figures? Do we just eyeball them if we want to be quick and dirty and try to meet deadlines?
      (For example, for your rough perspective lines for the recent Jonah Hex overlay)

Comment

As Big John Buscema once said, "Learn to draw and, uh... draw faster."

The Hex orthogonals are "made up" and slapped out at hyper-speed. This comes from practice. The first time someone looks at a perspective book, they might as well be looking at kanja or calculus. Over time it begins to make sense until you get to a point where NOT seeing the perspective takes conscious effort.

At that point we ask, who has the power? No one, the characters or the reader? If the horizon is in the shot, the reader is on equal terms with the character. Raise the horizon above the shot and the reader looks down like god or the bully. Drop the horizon below the shot, the reader becomes the child or the bug about to be squished.
        PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Got it. Thanks!

Comment

Reminds me of this one by the great Russ Heath, for the X-Men Animated Series that never was.

http://chcomicart.blogspot.com/
            https://www.instagram.com/chris.haizlip/

Comment

Perfect example of 'life is curves' except for the front on view.

Comment

Originally posted by humble-tomato View Post
                Alright, here is my sum of proportion studies. I learned a lesson about perspective, and s curve on spine. And I can see the left 3 guys' left fist pose is weird, but I still can't tell if their S curve is too subtle. (Except for Logan who I know is too stiff)
                Any C+C welcome of course.

I didn't get a chance to talk about this earlier, but this is great! I love what you did here, the idea behind this is something all artists should take into consideration when drawing these characters.

I do have some discrepancies about the sizes and heights of some characters, but this looks great, I'd like to see it finished. Great work!
                https://www.deviantart.com/nygma85

Comment

Appreciate the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH View Post
                    Reminds me of this one by the great Russ Heath, for the X-Men Animated Series that never was.

I'd always scratch my head when I'd see comparison charts like this. If you're comparing heights and/or proportions, wouldn't you want the characters all standing straight up, facing forward with their legs together like in the typical x-heads-high canon charts? If nothing else, at least have them in the same pose.
                    Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X