Background practice/study -- my own studio drawn by me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background practice/study -- my own studio drawn by me

The lampshade isn't following the same perspective as everything else.
    Read my webcomic, "1980"

My Deviant Art page

Comment

Nice, very clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Middle Weight * WINS: 08* LOSSES: 14 * KO: 04 * Months Champion 3 lightweight

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...=1#post1384552

Comment

Interesting.. for some reason, the dead line weight and high vanishing point make this uncomfortable for me to look at. ...or.. that could be the cold medicine..

Lampshade was already mentioned. You have some edges and corners that are still squared off that should probably replaced with chamfers/filets. The air vent louvres don't line up. Whatever all the rectangles on the wall are, they don't have depth. The things around and under the desk don't feel like they are following the same vanishing point as everything else in the room. It might just be me but it feels like their planes are just off.
        Otherwise, kudos, this is a really detailed scene. Putting characters in it with that particular perspective might be odd since we would be slightly above them but as a study it's a good showing.
        I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
        my sketchbook

Comment

Solid stuff, man! One quick thing- is the drafting chair meant to be off to the side, rather than in front of the drawing table?
          Downer IllustrationTumblrTwitterDeviantArtDracula The Unconquered

Comment

Thanks for the crits. A couple points:

1. the perspective on everything but the lampshade is correct, because it was all done with the perspective rulers in manga studio 5. So the depiction of the objects may be off, but the planes are all correct for the one point perspective.

2. good call on the lampshade. That's out of whack in more ways than one.

3. The chair in front of the drafting table was meant to be in front of the drafting table but as you point it out I see how it looks off to the side.

4. Most of the rectangles on the walls are posters so they really don't have depth. The two on the wall facing the viewer are cork boards with stuff posted on them.

Comment

Originally posted by ccicconi View Post
              the perspective on everything but the lampshade is correct, because it was all done with the perspective rulers in manga studio 5
              WARNING, WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
              The perspective on everything is not correct. Manga Studio means Manga Studio only; Correctness is in no way implied, inferred or included. Place blind trust in a computer at your peril.

I have to vote with MLaw. This is smack in the middle of the Uncanny Valley. If printed in blue and inked freehand, this could be a time saver. Were this the final product on a book cover, I wouldn't pick it up or look inside, I'd just keep walking. Check the manual for the "suck the computer look out of the drawing" button.
              PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Here's a rough placement of the vanishing point based on basically everything in the lower half of the room.
                Because of a thing called orthographic projection that the computer does, it does not mimic perspective as the eye sees it.

I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
                my sketchbook

Comment

Thanks for the drawover/example with the vanishing point. I did know where it was. I put it there. The high angle shot was intentional. I wasn't attempting to draw from standing eye level. I was attempting to draw a dramatic "down-shot" looking into the room.

That being said, I'm still not seeing flaws with the general perspective. The scanner on the table to the left of the computer monitor may be slightly off, but other than that and the lampshade, I still see the perspective as pretty much correct to my eye. Using Manga Studio's perspective tools or not, I was taught to draw 1 point perspective by placing a vanishing point and making all the lines taper to it, which this drawing pretty much does as far as I can tell. Is there another way to draw 1 point perspective that would be more "accurate?" If so, please explain. Is the crit that choosing this high angle skews the perspective such that the shot is not interesting or useful, or "good" or that the lines on this page are not correct 1 point perspective for this camera angle?

Comment

I was attempting to draw a dramatic "down-shot" looking into the room.

This shot is way to sterile to have any drama. You need to rotate your viewpoint to add some diagonals or change it to a 2 or 3 point perspective.
                    Read my webcomic, "1980"

My Deviant Art page

Comment

Got that, RonB. But the follow up question goes to those who were saying the perspective was "incorrect." That I don't get and was looking for an explanation on. Sterile/lacking drama is not the same thing as incorrect perspective.

Comment

Got that, RonB. But the follow up question goes to those who were saying the perspective was "incorrect." That I don't get and was looking for an explanation on. Sterile/lacking drama is not the same thing as incorrect perspective.

You should ask Smitty to elaborate if he has time. I'm sure he will be able to explain it better than most others (including myself) on this board.
                        Read my webcomic, "1980"

My Deviant Art page

Comment

Here's a small sampling of the mistakes using a cursory examination at reduced opacity. Full exam at full opacity would undoubtedly reveal more.

Parallels going to a single VP is not perspective, it's the frame on which perspective is built. Perspective involves scale, spatial relationships, alignment etc. Doing it "on the computer" is more likely to be wrong because of peoples' misconceptions of the computer. The computer is perfectly happy to execute an incorrect command. At that point the computers only advantage is it will be wrong really, really fast.

The lamp is boo-booed altogether.

By your own admission the chair at left is mis-located.

The table at left, how is it standing up? It only has one proper leg. I suppose the back could be bolted to the wall but only one front leg reaches the floor.

Both chairs are smurfed. The backs do not line up with the pans.

The chair at the monitor is marklared to the point of being 5D. The brace between pan and back does not relate to the twisted, mis-located back.

Seat posts connect to the pan rear of center. Your's connect at or in front of center.

Monitor has no depth.

Shelves under the monitor? Where do your feet go? Whether the shelves exist or not I'd remove them from the drawing just so the reader has a place for their feet.

If you printed this in blue on Strath and inked it free hand, you could double the mistakes and the worst folks would say is, "For freehand that's damn close." Make the mistake in the computer version and it screams like a banshee. The viewer won't know what's wrong, they won't know they're in the Uncanny Valley, they'll just know that they're creeped out.

This isn't to pick on you but simply to more firmly illustrate that you trust a computer at your peril.

PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Smitty,

Thank you for the detailed crit with full explanation. I appreciate it. Very helpful.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X