Faerie battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faerie battle

I'm really liking this so far this is digital yes?
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

I think there are some perspective issues hurting this piece. By the lines on the bed i would say your H.L. is half way, we should see the elypses on the lamp, and the characters on the foreground seems to be in a different plane or very big. Characters look great.
      Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
      LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
      http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Yeah, we should definitely see the lamp from the bottom, in fact the entire night stand is in the wrong perspective. We should also be able to see the bottom edges of all the picture frames on the wall.

Also, I know this piece is in a very early stage, but your work tends to have a very clean look to it, so be sure to add some texture and character to your clean digital edges. Little nicks and dimples in the wood of the furniture, the picture frames, the wallpaper, etc. Just to add a nice lived-in quality to your environment. Otherwise your finished drawing looks like a coloring book page.

I don't believe that snake is a threat of any kind. The characters in front of it seem to be recoiling, but it looks like it's made of rubber.

Turn the cat's head to the left, so we can see more of its features. Right now it doesn't seem to be reacting to the battle, or even looking at anything in particular.

Can't wait to see your progress on this, it's a cool piece.
        Dino Nebitt
        LHW: 3W-1L-0KO
        SF: 1W-1L-1KO

Comment

Cool page, but there are some possible improvements.

First - 1 point perspective won't work here. You really need 2 point perspective to sell the size issues. The pictures head on might work if you were standing at the foot of the bed and about 5 feet tall. Being closer to the ground, angles appear, and you should see the bottom of the frames as well.

Second - Always try to separate the back, mid, and fore grounds. Right now the mid and foreground creatures are too similar in size. Enlarge the foreground so you feel like your right in the thick of that group. Also, the mid ground creatures should vary in size as well. it will help make the small figures in the background on the lamp table, floor, and bed feel more in proportion. The energy blast could also be used to show size difference. Small from the hand and large in the foreground.

I did a drawover to illustrate.

Last edited by Veritas71; 03-29-2015, 04:40 PM.
          OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
          My Blog
          My DeviantART Page
          PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Some changes I made before Veritas' comments were seen:

1. Changed the lamp. This story is supposed to take place in 1930, so the lamp style didn't work anyway.

2. Turned the cat's head a bit.
            3. added bottom and sides to the frames.
            4. Tightened up the FG figures and added wings to the female.
            5. Added a ledge to establish that the extreme FG is on a different plane from the floor characters. The ones in the FG are about to leap down to the floor to charge towards the bed.

Comment

The elypse on the top of the lamp should be more open then the one on the bottom. Imagine a stack of paper, your eyes are aligned with the bottom one (H.L.), you just see a line. If you were to draw equal elypses in all sheets, the one on top would be the more open elypse of the bunch from your point of view.Just in case you dont know this. I have a petrol lamp just like that.

Comment

Wow! I was thinking make believe ..any thing goes...I was not looking for ....accuracy in Dream Land....( I'm slacking in my old age ) lol
                Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan E.Warner View Post
                  Wow! I was thinking make believe ..any thing goes...I was not looking for ....accuracy in Dream Land....( I'm slacking in my old age ) lol
                  It´s like you said, to make believe believable, get those damn elypses and perspective right.

Comment

More fixes:

1. changed entire background into 2 point perspective.
                    2. Moved the rightmost flying figure forward, made her larger.
                    3. Fixed the ellipse on the top of the oil lamp.
                    4. Changed sword in right hand of foreground figure.
                    5. Inking begun, background to foreground.

Comment

I'm enjoying seeing the development of this.
                      Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Just curious, are these pieces splash pages for a comic, or illustration inserts for a novel?
                        OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
                        My Blog
                        My DeviantART Page

Comment

Veritas,

These pages are a sort of proof of concept. I'm currently working with a writer on a creator owned comic, but while I do, I'm also starting the writing on what I hope will be my next project, which will be this faerie story I will both write and draw. As I am fleshing out the story, I'm also (in between doing pages on the sci fi book I'm drawing now) working up these images to help me visualize the look and feel for my faerie story. Call them proofs of concept, splash pages, potential issue covers, whatever.

Here's my progress on the image, with more progress on the inks.

Comment

Cool! Looking forward to more.
                            OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
                            My Blog
                            My DeviantART Page

Comment

Yep! what Chris said....Very Cool..
                              Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X