• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadman2000
    Back from the Lurking Abyss
    • Jun 2006

Are these better?

Dark Force sketches. I was asked to be more dynamic so here we are:

I'll do many more things like this later.

C&C welcome!

sadman2000
    Sorry, no time to talk. I'm busy drawing my books and stories! ;P

dA:

sadman2000.deviantart.com

My Blog:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...?t=71674<br />
  • Wo-Nellie
    VIP Member
    • Oct 2006

I had no problem with them the first time.
    But yeah, I like these even better.

Comment

• hadesillustrations
      • Jul 2008

Better, but you're still thinking 2-dimensionally. Foreground shots are wonderful because you can get impact from a close-up shot and you don't even have to draw the full character. This works great for the "brick" type character, as they eat up a lot of space when you're trying to fit their whole form in.

I dunno man - just keep messing with it. Check out a few comics you like the art in and analyze WHY you like them. You'll find it often has a lot to do with design.
      Cheers, Alex

Comment

• dfbovey
        Runs with Scissors
        [Moderator]
        [Administrator]
        • Jun 2001

Yeah, this is better as far as the poses go. They have an attitude to them and a bit of motion and that is good.

I think there is a lot you could do to play with camera angles and perspective which would be the next step in your evolution I think. Even though these are more energetic, they are still very straight forward... chest pointed straight toward the viewer.
        See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
        DeviantArt

Comment

• spidey976
          When you aren't happy with it ... ERASE IT!
          • Aug 2007

Hey there Sad

Firstly, I am glad to see yo take everything that people are saying and applying it. However, there are a few things that I see right away.

Your proportions are a bit hinky ... right now your sizes are all over the place. You have two jumping pigmies ... a midget Iron Clad (I know that isn't his name ... but it is the first thing that comes to me) ... and your main bad guy looks like giant man right now.

You have the same thing that some of the guys were talking about going on in your finished piece going on here. Two of the 4 characters are looking directly at the camera, and a third is very close.

Sad I am going to try to get some good C&C ready for your sequentials ... but it will have to wait until tomorrow I think.

Good to see you pushing yourself m8.
          "The next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me REAL hard" -Batman
          http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80062
          The only person I need to out draw is myself!

Comment

• sadman2000
            • Jun 2006

Thanks everybody!

Wo-Nellie - Thanks man, I'm glad you like what I'm doing. You can look forward to much, much more.

hadesillustrations - Yeah I was really working on poses for these sketches I'll be adding fore and backgrounds at a later date and start some 3-D thinking.

dfbovey - After I turn one of these into a finished piece I'll be messing with some perspective. All in good time man.

spidey976 - I don't too many proportional issues (save an overinflated leg or two), as these little sketches aren't supposed to be in relation to each other if they were their sizes would much more in line save Steel Fist who is a brute of a character at 10 to 12 feet while the rest are about 6 to 7 feet. These are just doodles and not meant to be viewed as a whole. As far as heads go none of them are perfectly head on (and I will not apply it to my forehead) the top is looking downward as we go lower there's a profile then a subtle left, and a right downward tilt. And to be honest, I don't feel I'm pushing myself just yet, I was surprised how a quick change in attitude (and a little reference) changed my work so much. And I still have more in me, I finally feel like I'm stepping out of the box and reaching out a little I just had to imagine how these guy would run around and do their thing in real life and it hit me. One more thing, who the heck is Iron Clad?

Thanks again everybody!

dA:

My Blog:

Comment

• spidey976
              • Aug 2007

Ah ... okay ... I was a lile uncertain ... and I am SO glad that you are starting to use refernces.

IronClad ... well he is this guy .. http://www.comicvine.com/ironclad/29...6632/?offset=4 ... he is a member of the U-Foes ... a group of Hulk's enemies.

Comment

• hadesillustrations
                • Jul 2008

I still draw Ray all the damn time - I love the U-Foes.

Sadman, what I was referring to for foreground was placing a character in the foreground.

Nyergh - I'm just gonna draw it.
                Cheers, Alex

Comment

• krikkit13
                  • Mar 2005

Definitely better, but I think you ought to push it a bit more. Have you read How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way? There's a bit in there about how a punch really looks, and then it shows how it should look in a comic. You really want to sell stuff by exaggerating it a bit more than it should be.

I particularly like the attitude of the two bigger guys in your sketch. Much more personality than in your other sketches. It's good to see you taking people's advice.
                  Artblog!

Comment

• hadesillustrations
                    • Jul 2008

OK - first of all, don't copy this cover idea - I want you to learn from this - copying is just memorization, I want you to understand the principle.

Noticw the big guy up front. He'll be very thick lined and his features are primarily lit with reflected light only. This makes him look more ominous. He is in the foreground.

The next two characters are in approximately the same plane - middle ground area. It would be a good idea to place some sort of rubble or smoke in this plane as well. These characters look slightly less forboding due to less dramatic lighting.

Your main big bad-ass is in the top center background. He is well lit with maybe a kirby crackle or speed lines or something helping to display his power. He is in a commanding position. The pose (outstretched arms) is one of omnipotence and also makes him look larger as the lats make the "Y" shape of the body. His lines are thinnest, but the lighting will bring him out.

The three planes used he create depth. The twisted torsos of the three minions create motion. The use of lighting creates drama.

For more information on the use of these tools read Comics And Sequential Art by Eisner and How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema. There are books that provide far more depth, but these are an excellent starting point and they're really all I ever read.

I hope that helps.
                    Cheers, Alex

Comment

• sadman2000
                      • Jun 2006

Thanks Guys.

spidey976 - CRAAAAAAP!!! He looks almost exactly like my guy! But I guess with characters like Super Patriot and Rip Claw I should have too much to worry about given my dudes background and personalities all totally different.

hadesillustrations - I got want you meant, I'm going to have some guys firing at the lower right characters to shown depth but I'd love to see what you can come up with! EDIT: that is an awesome sketch I'll work on trying some of that stuff next.

krikkit13 - Thanks man, I've read it once but it didn't quite reach me, however I have over a dozen book on the medium to show action like punches, kicks, lunges and so on. I'm glad to be taking some advice a little more quickly too.

Thanks everybody!

dA:

My Blog:

Comment

• spidey976
                        • Aug 2007

Yeah ... sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I had TOTALLY forgot about him until my son bought me the big guide oh Hulk for my Bday. I would probably make some small changes if I were you. It would be far easier to avoid trouble from Marvel. Superpatriot and Ripclaw were furthe.r away visually from the Marvel equivalent (aka Captain America, and Wolverine). I know your designs are a huge to you ... but legalities suck ... and Ironclad has been around for years. Cover your tush.

Comment

• hadesillustrations
                          • Jul 2008

Just make him blue and call him Stainless. It's more of a hero name, but the irony could work.
                          Cheers, Alex

Comment

• sadman2000
                            • Jun 2006

the name Steel-Fist must stand, I am tweaking his designs and making him a more gun metal tone rather than chrome (he did used to be a warlord after all before Set-Fate visited his planet... err, I mean threatened it's destruction) and articulating every individual strand of muscle on him to create a unique texture on him. It should give him a more evil appearance while distancing him from marvels look. Thanks guys!

dA:

My Blog:

Comment

• sadman2000
                              • Jun 2006

Okay so here's the tweaks with Steel-Fist:

Here's the texture tests for his skin:

And here's a thumb for a new piece:

So I guess the big questions are how do these look? Am I messing with his design enough? And how are the dynamics of the thumb? I tried to put in a fore, middle and backgrounds that would help the piece as well as lowering the camera and adding some urgency to the picture, 'cause hey, who would want to be facing certain doom to a 15 foot warlord with every intention of killing or enslaving you with no mercy. C&C is welcome PJers, tell me what you think!

dA:

My Blog:

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X