Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Design Concept: Kil'lian

Hello everybody,

This is my first time on the forum and I am excited to meet everyone. Since today is my first day I wanted to share my art with you. It's a work in progress for my webcomic I'm working on. It's still a work in progress, but I want to take my time and develop the story and characters to the best of my abilities.

To start I wanted to show what I have been working on for a character design. His name is Kil'lian. When I was sketching him, I didn't have anything planned, but as I worked on the sketch I thought, I want to try giving him a wicked look. I drew the mouth sort of in a snarl, then thought why not have him biting an apple? I also wanted to draw him in clothes I felt he would wear. He lives in a country in the desert which is prone to sand storms.

I am not very strong with hands so I was determined to try and get better with it and forced myself to draw both. I definitely need to draw them more.

Lastly I wanted to draw him with a scarf. As I put that in I thought, what if his scarf can transform into a raging cobra during mid strike lunging towards something?

That is what I have so far for this image. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hey welcome to penciljack. I thought I would comment on here since it doesn't look like you're getting much attention (and I know I hate when people don't comment on my work).

So I think my favorite part about what you have here is the colors. My second favorite part is the guy's hair.
    I think you should make your image size (on photoshop) bigger so you don't have to crop so much out of the picture, let's see the whole guy's body. He looks like he's going to be awesome so let's see it all.
    I think you do good on his hands, better than I can do in some cases. It's a good thing you decide to draw them because the more you do the better you'll get.
    For my personal taste i don't think I like the way his face looks eating that apple. I think it would show more character to give him a snarl as you said you had originally done.
    Lastly, The foreshortening on his left arm is off. Either push his bicep back to where we can't see it, or bring his hand forward, because right now it looks like he has a four-inch forearm.

Good luck with your web comic, by the way. I think if you have a bunch more awesome characters like this then it will at least be a feast for the eyes.
    Last edited by Neddypoteddy; 10-03-2011, 02:50 AM. Reason: I'm so "business" I forget to be polite
    - Jordan Sampanes
    ---Proud to be a PJ Member---
    Pummel stats: LW W-1 L-0 KO-0

Interested in my work? Mail me:[email protected]

Comment

Only thing I don't like is the flat hands. Definitely need a little more practice on that. I suffer from the same thing. lol So I bought a book specifically on hands. There was 100 or 1000 drawings of hands. Also drawing from reference if you don't have a book. Have someone grab an apple and act out your drawing/sketch and use your cellphones camera to take a quick pic of it. It will help with the flat hands and you can get lighting ideas to boot.

The rest I think is awesome. Very clean too. I like it!
      You may have over done the freckles though.
      || DeviantART || PUMMEL Stats || XLIVE & PSN: clarkspark

Comment

Originally posted by Neddypoteddy View Post
        Hey welcome to penciljack. I thought I would comment on here since it doesn't look like you're getting much attention (and I know I hate when people don't comment on my work).

So I think my favorite part about what you have here is the colors. My second favorite part is the guy's hair.
        I think you should make your image size (on photoshop) bigger so you don't have to crop so much out of the picture, let's see the whole guy's body. He looks like he's going to be awesome so let's see it all.
        I think you do good on his hands, better than I can do in some cases. It's a good thing you decide to draw them because the more you do the better you'll get.
        For my personal taste i don't think I like the way his face looks eating that apple. I think it would show more character to give him a snarl as you said you had originally done.
        Lastly, The foreshortening on his left arm is off. Either push his bicep back to where we can't see it, or bring his hand forward, because right now it looks like he has a four-inch forearm.

Good luck with your web comic, by the way. I think if you have a bunch more awesome characters like this then it will at least be a feast for the eyes.
        Thanks so much for the feedback. When I started this illustration it was just random didn't have any exact purpose. I think I will rework his mouth again. I am starting to learn Kil'lian's mannerisms and will change it to something else that I feel will fit him better.

I wasn't planning on drawing out his entire body, but what the hell it could be interesting and fun to create his entire outfit.

As for the arm, I though it was off, but when you look at something for so long you can't see the errors as easily. I have some ideas that I want to incorporate so I'm still in the slight planning stages of this illustration. Thanks so much for all of the input and the warm welcome. I will work on this again this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Baltar View Post
          Only thing I don't like is the flat hands. Definitely need a little more practice on that. I suffer from the same thing. lol So I bought a book specifically on hands. There was 100 or 1000 drawings of hands. Also drawing from reference if you don't have a book. Have someone grab an apple and act out your drawing/sketch and use your cellphones camera to take a quick pic of it. It will help with the flat hands and you can get lighting ideas to boot.

The rest I think is awesome. Very clean too. I like it!
          You may have over done the freckles though.
          Hello Dr. Baltar,

Thanks so much for the advice! I definitely know what you mean. They look like flat outlines at the moment don't they? I usually add a lot of detail using color and haven't really completed adding the highlights and shadows to them as of yet. But I will definitely pay closer attention to the shading from the references that I used to define the shapes properly.

Oh and I'll definitely use an alpha gradient to make the freckles better. :P

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X