Ah, the memories....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, the memories....

So, for the "Sword and Sorcery" themed Grand Championship contest this month, I'm doing a D&D-thing. Some of my fondest (and earliest) memories of true sword and sorcery involved a dimly lit basement, doritos, and mountain dew.

Here was the original marker sketch (done on a lunch break)..

and here are the early (early) pencils for the two seperate sections which will be blended together in the coloring process:

I'm not terribly happy with the imagined "fantasy" section yet, but I feel okay about the basement scene so far.
    Any tips?
    PUMMEL Light Heavy: PRM Wins: 9 | PRM Losses: 1 |Knockouts: 11 |Street Fights: 4/2 |Months Champion:2
    STATS!

Read Sacred Pie !

Instant Hell Murder Crew, reprazent!

The basement scene is great, yeah. There feels like there's still a lot of dead space in the top picture though.

I've just noticed the wizard in the top image though - so maybe you're intending for his magic-casting to have some kind of 'widespread' effect? Maybe some kind of elliptical energy field or coloured tornado thing which could reflect the ellipse of the table in the basement half of the pic?

I think it would be nice to have 'some kind of reflection' between the two pics, if you know what I mean? Nothing exact or mirror imaged -- but some repeated shapes might help to tie the two halves together more successfully.

Just an idea. I'd be interested to see what others think.

ps. Your new, high detail pieces are really getting good, Bob. They really seem to suit your style -- and you look like you're having fun with them
    Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

The basement scene is really really amazing.
      i wish i could draw like that and your work is not even finished yet

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Beastie- That's a great idea to pull shapes (maybe even colors) down into the basement scene. I want to have some sort of geometric configuration in the wizard's spell; maybe I can mimic the look/colors in the stained glass light in the bottom image.
        I had originally intended for the fantasy characters to resemble the players a bit more to tie the images together, but I thought it'd be more appropriate for their alter-egos to be the opposite of who they are: the skinny kid is a beefy barbarian, the chubby kid a slender elf, and the last geek I think I'll give a just-coming-in moustache and maybe fluff up the dwarf's beard a bit.

MatroXX- Thanks! I really appreciate the praise, but remember that I'm an old man....I've got, like, 10 more years of practice under my belt. Well before you're my age I'm sure you'll blow stuff like this out of the water! Just keep drawing!
        PUMMEL Light Heavy: PRM Wins: 9 | PRM Losses: 1 |Knockouts: 11 |Street Fights: 4/2 |Months Champion:2
        STATS!

Read Sacred Pie !

Comment

Looking at the basement scene again - the guy in the sacred pie t-shirt's neck feels like its a little bit off centre. In fact, looking at the width of his shoulders I might even be inclined to make his entire head a tiny bit bigger - and give him a slightly less scrawny neck.

Comment

I'm sure you'll be adding this stuff, but the table needs a lot more junk all over it - papers, pencils, LOTS of dice, cups for those 2 liters, etc. The transition from basement to fantasy scene could be achieved with some dramatic lighting from the hanging lamp - the ceiling could fade to black, then put a rough drybrushed black border around the fantasy scene. Overall I love this idea - it brings back memories.
            Cheers, Alex

Comment

Very, very nice.
              I agree with Hadesillustration- needs more junkfood and clutter. When my friends and I played back in the dark ages, many moons ago, each of us had a binder with our character stats typed up, each had their own bag of dice, and pizza and pepsi where the order of the day. Maybe have a couple of empty pizza boxes on the washer in the background.

One small thing that throws it off for me... you have four characters but only 3 players plus the DM. Presumably someone is playing 2 characters or one is a NPC, but I think it would match up a little better if their were 4 players.

As to bringing the two images together, how about having the ground around the archer go from grass to dirt and the dirt be similar in color to the roof of the basement?

Comment

Originally posted by McNiel View Post
                One small thing that throws it off for me... you have four characters but only 3 players plus the DM.
                Hmmm. I took it that, because the DM is wearing a wizard hat -- that he became the wizard in the fantasy half of the pic....

Comment

Originally posted by Beastie View Post
                  Hmmm. I took it that, because the DM is wearing a wizard hat -- that he became the wizard in the fantasy half of the pic....

Yes. I finished the pencils this weekend (but haven't scanned yet) and the wizard on top has a similar pointy hat.
                  STATS!

Read Sacred Pie !

Comment

oooh are you posting these in an art-blog so to show history an progress?...This could be treasure stuff..
                    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

*Phew*

Inks are finally done....I've added a few more things to tie the images together without being TOO overt about it (things like the washing machine and dryer broken obelisks in the top image, and the warriors helmet/geek headgear are about as clever as I could get). I plan to do a lot of transitioning during the coloring process; most of the ceiling in the basement will be faded to black (and cropped, too when the two images are combined).

Any other tips/crit's before I get into it?

Ps- Thanks for all the help so far, guys, it's really helping me push my (already small) envelope.
                      STATS!

Read Sacred Pie !

Comment

The parallels in the scenes are so subtle one might miss them, but I think you did a beautiful job - looks awesome!
                        Roger that, let's run like hell

Comment

Looks very very good! Looking forward to seeing it coloured.

Is the warrior supposed to be holding his sword in both hands? From his pose it looks as if though he is, but judging from the sword he only holds it in his left hand.

Comment

Since shadows are minimal here the color is what's going to set these off Lots of hard work here.
                            Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X