Laughing Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laughing Gas

A year or two ago I read Craig Yoe's collection "Reefer Madness" and felt inspired to try something like some of the comics included in that collection. I roughed it out a year ago but left it laying around til I re-read the book and thought I'd work it out further (and finished it late last summer). Not too serious, was fun to draw.

Edit: not sure why I can't see the pictures... I used IMG tags but the pages don't seem to show up.

Another Edit: Ah, it was just a spelling mistake on my part.

Last edited by shaw; 04-02-2021, 05:54 AM.

yeah idk why but they're not showing up ... looking forward to seeing them though; sounds interesting
    My Instagram

Comment

I see them now (3 pages) - so I hope others can see them now, too (I had a spelling mistake in the names and fixed it).

Comment

"Even his moustache was stoned! He had become an utter worthless piece of human trash."

Modern day Shakespeare. Great job man!
        sketchbook thread

Comment

masterpiece! love it; has that old EC comics feel with a comedic/modern take. Really cool. Kudos sir
          My Instagram

Comment

Loved it! Nice art, and that includes the colors. And the story is hilarious. Nice job!
            Antonio Rocha

Comment

These are great! Especially the colors!

anywhere special you learned to color? As a colorblind, I’ve mostly stayed away from it my whole life but I’m going to have to learn to tackle it soon.

Comment

Thanks for taking a look and the comments - perhaps there's a bit too much text here and there, but it was a lot of fun to write.

Spiffychicken - I used to like to paint (years ago...) but gave it up because my colors always came out wrong, I never really understood how to mix them. I'm not colorblind but just don't "see" them like others seem do (some people seem to almost have an "instict"for mixing color, I never understood how they do it).

About 12 years ago I learned about the old "64 color" palette they used to color comics in the golden age, and since then I've been using it as the basis for almost all my work. I love the old comics and figured if they used those colors, I might as well try them, too. For a number of years I only used those colors. The choice is a bit limited and the colors are not exactly subtle - so it was fun and a bit of a challenge. See how a pink sky looks, or color the grass yellow - then see how you can balance that in the rest of the picture without looking too crazy.

Now I use them as a soort of template - if I want a few more browns or reds or blues, etc. (for highlights/shadows) I'll use the 64 palette brown as the mid-tone and adjust it for the other things.I've found that on the computer that the palette can look far too intense - I generally tone down the red and yellow (and often the oranges, greens and purples). In print it's pretty intense too, but really pops out on the page. I'll sometimes change most of the colors a bit, but almost always use the 64 color palette as the basis when I color something.

Not sure if it's a help or something that you'd want to try - but I never really liked coloring and it made it a little more fun for me.

Comment

This is really good, like someone else said, the writing was like modern Shakespeare. I like your art style and the colors, very vibrant.
                  The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by shaw View Post
                    About 12 years ago I learned about the old "64 color" palette they used to color comics in the golden age, and since then I've been using it as the basis for almost all my work. I love the old comics and figured if they used those colors, I might as well try them, too. For a number of years I only used those colors. The choice is a bit limited and the colors are not exactly subtle - so it was fun and a bit of a challenge. See how a pink sky looks, or color the grass yellow - then see how you can balance that in the rest of the picture without looking too crazy.

Now I use them as a soort of template - if I want a few more browns or reds or blues, etc. (for highlights/shadows) I'll use the 64 palette brown as the mid-tone and adjust it for the other things.I've found that on the computer that the palette can look far too intense - I generally tone down the red and yellow (and often the oranges, greens and purples). In print it's pretty intense too, but really pops out on the page. I'll sometimes change most of the colors a bit, but almost always use the 64 color palette as the basis when I color something.

Not sure if it's a help or something that you'd want to try - but I never really liked coloring and it made it a little more fun for me.

I love that idea! Where can I get/find that palette?

Comment

Whew. I'm glad I don't do drugs. Look at those young boys, only 1 year older than Sam.

Enjoyed it very much. Very publish-worthy.

Comment

Always Enjoy your stuff man
                        Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

Nice. Very well-written. I like the classic comics style too. Before you publish anywhere, on page two panel two, should "spams" be "spasms"?
                          Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Thanks for the comments and reading the comic - and thanks for the correction, pell! And Humble-tomato - ha, yeah, the bad kids grow up pretty quickly. I almost suspect the one with the moustache may have repeated a grade (spent too little time studying and too much time shortening his sweaters..).

Spiffychicken - if you google it, you shoud find several places that discuss those colours. Somewhere on-line you should be able to find the rgb values to make a palette - if not, I could take some time soon and make a list of them (then I'll post it here).

Comment

Is this it??

https://www.comicsbeat.com/piskors-c...ring-is/?amp=1

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X