Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sample Pages from my Graphic Novel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    battlewraith makes a great point but the problem I have with the pages provided here is these pages are visually boring and confusing and the few bits of text or dialogue are boring as well . The reveal of the mechanical man for example , the visuals don't tell me its impressive and the script doesn't tell me anything, yet the audience is clapping? l have a very off beat taste in comic art but storytelling is story telling. Show don't tell is a great phrase for artists, but for cartoonists (writer, artist) maybe it should be "if you don't show, you have to tell" ?
    http://barcsdoodles.blogspot.ie/

    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/eoinb

    @barcswow on twitter and instagram

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Spiffychicken View Post
      A long time ago I had a cartoonist named Klaus Jansen as a teacher. The greatest thing he taught me was this:

      You should be able to draw a 3 page comic with no words at all and hand it to someone who’s never read a comic before. If that person can’t get the jist of the story, you have failed as a storyteller. I’ll never forget that.

      My point is, you’ve got it backwards. In comics, the images come first not the words. The words aid the pictures not the other way around. Even if it’s a wordy comic, the images are still doing a hefty amount of the storytelling lift.
      .
      Hey, I had Klaus Jasen at SVA as well!

      The thing that always sticks in my mind from him is akin to yours but it boiled down to "Assume the reader is a moron." You can have a complicated story but the storytelling itself needs to be so clear an idiot can follow it.

      artSTATION | deviantART | instagram | penciljack blog

      Comment


      • #33
        "Have the humility to ask for feedback, but don't take it as gospel", from a text message I got back from Gary Vee when I screen shot some of my work and texted it to him, although not sure if it was really him replying. Lot's of great feedback here. It's up to you how you apply it.
        Rene ArreolaPatreonOnline Store

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by D.C. View Post

          Hey, I had Klaus Jasen at SVA as well!

          The thing that always sticks in my mind from him is akin to yours but it boiled down to "Assume the reader is a moron." You can have a complicated story but the storytelling itself needs to be so clear an idiot can follow it.
          Lol, a more blunt way to put it, but same idea.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Rene A. View Post
            "Have the humility to ask for feedback, but don't take it as gospel", from a text message I got back from Gary Vee when I screen shot some of my work and texted it to him, although not sure if it was really him replying. Lot's of great feedback here. It's up to you how you apply it.
            Really good advice.
            Deviant Art | Youtube

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by D.C. View Post

              Hey, I had Klaus Jasen at SVA as well!

              The thing that always sticks in my mind from him is akin to yours but it boiled down to "Assume the reader is a moron." You can have a complicated story but the storytelling itself needs to be so clear an idiot can follow it.
              This is advice often given in design in general, especially interface design and development(day job). Less harsh alternative spin Is to design to the lowest common denominator.
              Deviant Art | Youtube

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Maulsmash View Post
                This is advice often given in design in general, especially interface design and development(day job). Less harsh alternative spin Is to design to the lowest common denominator.
                This is true. Though I also seem to spend a lot of time pointing out to people that they're assuming their audience are all thicker than they are. I'll send a piece of work off, and someone will say 'I'm not sure people will recognise X' or 'I don't think people will know what X is meant to be', and I say 'But did you get it?'. 'Yes'. Well... are you really that special that only you can figure it out?

                Sometimes it's good to put stuff out there that requires some interpretation. Probably not so much with interface design.
                HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

                Comment


                • #38
                  Yeah, the idea is to not overcomplicate things or recreate the wheel...however, like in all creative rules, there are times to break those rules, but you do have to understand why those rules are there first. (I use rules loosly here)
                  Deviant Art | Youtube

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X