Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUNDAY MORNING JUSTICE: Despoitze Chapter 0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SUNDAY MORNING JUSTICE: Despoitze Chapter 0

    It was a crazy stressful weekend but we finally finished and printed the first issue of our zine. We took a trip to a convention and got to see first hand what a big world it is out there.

    I know I still have a lot to learn and I want to keep getting better so I can reach my dream!

    Please let me know what you think!














  • #2
    Probably your style is influenced by manga,but I see a lot of Paolo Bacilieri vibe in it. If you don't know him this is a sample
    http://www.google.it/imgres?q=paolo+...98&tx=30&ty=33
    Simone Guglielmini
    http://www.simoneguglielmini.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Caimano View Post
      Probably your style is influenced by manga,but I see a lot of Paolo Bacilieri vibe in it. If you don't know him this is a sample
      http://www.google.it/imgres?q=paolo+...98&tx=30&ty=33
      Ah, I hadn't heard of him but man that's a cool art style. I hope I can do stuff like that someday. A lot of my influences are manga artists but I can appreciate all kinds of artists. My style mainly comes from dealing with the tools I have at my disposal. I use printer paper and ballpoint pens to ink. I don't have
      any formal training; I want to go to art school but money is an issue.

      Do you have any advice for me, based on my pages? No matter what I do I can't get any responses.

      Comment


      • #4
        My personal suggestion is, next time, post just the sequential pages and not the others, because this is the sequential section.

        About you pages: I suggest you to use more reference for your drawing, for istance the guy inside the car panel can be improved, but also the office where the guy talks to the cell can be done more interesting, realist and less flat. Don't be afraid in using reference for all the things need to look in the right way. As far asI know Manga artist using them A LOT! at least the manga I read.

        Second try to use a variety of camera angle and not just the flat shots. I suggest you to really give a look at the Wood 22 panels suggestion:
        http://joeljohnson.com/images2/wallywood22panel1600.jpg
        Simone Guglielmini
        http://www.simoneguglielmini.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          My personal suggestion is, next time, post just the sequential pages and not the others, because this is the sequential section.

          About your pages: I suggest you to use more references for your drawing, for istance the guy inside the car panel can be improved, but also the office where the guy talks to the cell can be done more interesting, realistic and less flat. Don't be afraid in using reference for all the things need to look in the right way. As far asI know Manga artists use them A LOT! at least the manga I read.

          Second try to use a variety of camera angle and not just the flat shots. I suggest you to really give a look at the Wood 22 panels suggestion:
          http://joeljohnson.com/images2/wallywood22panel1600.jpg

          Hope it helps!
          Simone Guglielmini
          http://www.simoneguglielmini.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            I think you've got some interesting pages here, ShinuZERO. I agree with Caimano in his crits of your pages, and think there are a few things you can do to make them stronger and more interesting. The hatching you are doing with the ballpoint pens is an interesting technique and there is a LOT of detail on every page, but some of it feels like too much detail and its detracting from the artwork and the story. On the page where the guy is flipping the bird all that hatching makes the page feel very "busy" and my eye keeps jumping around the page. Other parts are done very well, like the unconscious guy and the next two panels which are very interesting to look at.

            I think you could save yourself some time and potential carpal-tunnel syndrome () if you would reduce some of the hatching and replace some of it digitally. I can see you have a scanner, and are using something to resize the images and add your speech balloons, so you have a computer to work with. Not sure what programs you are using but there are a few free ones out there and others that are low cost (I use a freeware program called GIMP to do my own pages). You could use your computer to digitally "tone" your pages like manga pages are done professionally. Not only would your art look less busy, but it would probably save you a bunch of time when you got used to it?

            Good luck with your project!
            HW(ret.):W42/ L29/KO16

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Caimano View Post
              My personal suggestion is, next time, post just the sequential pages and not the others, because this is the sequential section.

              About your pages: I suggest you to use more references for your drawing, for istance the guy inside the car panel can be improved, but also the office where the guy talks to the cell can be done more interesting, realistic and less flat. Don't be afraid in using reference for all the things need to look in the right way. As far asI know Manga artists use them A LOT! at least the manga I read.

              Second try to use a variety of camera angle and not just the flat shots. I suggest you to really give a look at the Wood 22 panels suggestion:
              http://joeljohnson.com/images2/wallywood22panel1600.jpg

              Hope it helps!
              Yeah, I guess I was just trying to let everyone see the concept we were going for. And I worked kind of hard on those other pages too, lol. So I wanted to post them. :P

              I will start using more reference in my work, thanks a bunch for the suggestion. I've used references before but I guess I've been a little lazy lately. No more half-assing! I'll put my life on the line for my comic!

              Thanks for the link too, I'll remember it forever. I appreciate you taking the time, I won't let you down!

              Originally posted by scmarooney View Post
              I think you've got some interesting pages here, ShinuZERO. I agree with Caimano in his crits of your pages, and think there are a few things you can do to make them stronger and more interesting. The hatching you are doing with the ballpoint pens is an interesting technique and there is a LOT of detail on every page, but some of it feels like too much detail and its detracting from the artwork and the story. On the page where the guy is flipping the bird all that hatching makes the page feel very "busy" and my eye keeps jumping around the page. Other parts are done very well, like the unconscious guy and the next two panels which are very interesting to look at.

              I think you could save yourself some time and potential carpal-tunnel syndrome () if you would reduce some of the hatching and replace some of it digitally. I can see you have a scanner, and are using something to resize the images and add your speech balloons, so you have a computer to work with. Not sure what programs you are using but there are a few free ones out there and others that are low cost (I use a freeware program called GIMP to do my own pages). You could use your computer to digitally "tone" your pages like manga pages are done professionally. Not only would your art look less busy, but it would probably save you a bunch of time when you got used to it?

              Good luck with your project!
              Thanks for the advice, I'll take those words to heart. I don't want to quit hand toning though, I like the way it looks and I think that it lends to my style and story.

              Comment


              • #8
                I got to say that I like hand done stuff better than digital when it comes to screentones. I can always tell the difference. It's worth doing stuff manually by hand if it's the look you want. It's cool that you got your zine and yourself out there. A color cover or some pages would be a cool addition next time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gloomly View Post
                  I got to say that I like hand done stuff better than digital when it comes to screentones. I can always tell the difference. It's worth doing stuff manually by hand if it's the look you want. It's cool that you got your zine and yourself out there. A color cover or some pages would be a cool addition next time.
                  Appreciate it! Yeah, I want to stick with this style at least for now. I did a lot of experimenting in my prototype that went on for a few years and I want this re-imagining to be more consistent.

                  We will definitely at least have a color cover for the next issue. I want to do a color page or two if time permits.

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X