Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15

I purchased a used laptop from Ebay over the holidays and wanted to write a quick review.

This is one amazing machine for art.

Pros

Wacom EMR at 15 inches so no line jitter. You can put a ruler up to the screen and make a perfect line

Beautiful display panel

Laptop/tablet 2 in one

16 gb ram with an I7

Super thin, and weighs about the same as a macbook air.

Really good battery life, I get around 4-6 hours of drawing in Photoshop easily.

Great for working on the go if you have to travel to conventions etc.

The outdoor mode is spectacular, it's as bright as a light-board so you can put a piece of paper right on the screen if you want.

Outdoor mode also doesn't compromise blacks or contrast so digital comics on this pc are the best I've ever seen.

Built in Pen with 4,096 levels. Although Im using a Staedtle Noris Digital Pencil. It looks exactly like a real pencil. Best pen for these devices by far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tons of real estate, and split screen mode. So you can have Pshop open in one window, and Google search in the other.

I'ts the best laptop I've ever used.

Cons

Gaming its fair Its about equivalent to a ps4 in power. So not really a con per say, just saying you should be aware this is not running the newest games at 60 fps with everything on high.

I was able to snag mine on Ebay used with a 512 gb ssd for only 800 shipped.Standard price for a new unit is around 1200. My recommendation wait for Samsung to release their new notebooks which should be very soon, and snag one for under 800.

Before I bought this, I did my research on all the different machines, and anything without a wacom emr had problems with line quality. Surface books/pros etc.

The mobile studio from Wacom isn't even practical. Its huge, doesn't fold up, no keyboard, weak hardware etc. And the touch is abysmal on those unit. No way I could work on a plane ride or a convention with that thing.

In closing, this is the only laptop/tablet right now I would trust with pro work, and the weight makes it a joy to have on you while traveling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFT4ZM_wfLY

Discover the latest features and innovations available in the Notebook 9 Pro 15 inches (16GB RAM). Find the perfect Windows Laptops for you!
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Hey, 50. How about some snippets of what linework this can achieve on whatever program you use. Whether it be clip art studio or photoshop. I'm not really up to date on digital drawing tool anymore and would like to see this stacked up to whatever is out on the market.

Comment

Dri, I use a Surface Pro 4 with Clip Art Studio, if you wan to check my stuff on deviantart or my recent posts here, you can see what it looks like. But, I'd like to see some work done on the notebook pro as well. Might put this on the list for a possible upgrade in the future.
      DeviantArt is the world's largest online social community for artists and art enthusiasts, allowing people to connect through the creation and sharing of art.
      DeviantArt

Comment

Hey Dan. Not interested with the msp4. Not at the price point anyway. I'm curious as 50 has rated the msp in the past. I was on the brink of putting down a lot of money down on a wacom mobile studio pro but rethought it as the value isn't there. The larger cintiqs are still better for art creating. The smaller form factor drawing tablets are just more easier to use and carry around.

I'll most likely sell the ipad pro 12.9 and buy this if the wacom emr tech is legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dri View Post
          Hey, 50. How about some snippets of what linework this can achieve on whatever program you use. Whether it be clip art studio or photoshop. I'm not really up to date on digital drawing tool anymore and would like to see this stacked up to whatever is out on the market.
          Are you looking for something specific that I can post? Most of my line quality in manga studio comes from Frenden pencils, and brushes. I guess why I'm saying that is I can make any of the Tablets look like I've used a real pencil or brush.

I think the biggest thing between wacom emr and the surface pro is you get no line jitter. So if you get line jitter its basicaly your fault which is what you want.

The absolute best experience you will have is the small 13 inch cintiq combined with laptop( windows or mac), or mobile studio pro ( which is really exspensive). Problem is those portables are really only good for while you are in a hotel etc.

For me the Wacoms have the superior screen to draw on, and pen. You're not going to get that with any of the current tablets and laptop 2 in 1's if that is what you are looking for. Even the Ipad doesn't come close to that feeling.

This laptop is more of a niche thing. If you want to work on a flight, or move it around easly to a coffee shop etc. Then it's really good because it's light and has a good battery life with some power behind it.
          “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Comment

Just post whatever. Nothing specific. Maybe to your workflow. How you use real restate.

It may seem like I'm asking a lot with either screenshots and photos but years ago I did the same when I got the Companion 1 and 2. I showed what it was capable of for a life drawing class but I was only using PS at the time.

I also agree you can make things look a particular way but Companions and Mobile Studio Pros, given their large size are impractical for travel. Battery life being a factor because of the larger screen and cpu.

This info is not only for me but to steer other artists to the right direction.

Comment

Yeah no problem. I just realized I have no clue how to post images now. The old tags do not work so I'm just going to give the links at the end so you can click on.

My pipeline is doing at least one traditional step somewhere in the process. Usually it's the finished pencils and inks

So if I do thumbnails in Clip Studio, I'll print that off ,and lightbox it for finished pencils. Then I will ink it traditonally, or Digitally. Depends on how fast I need it done, and If I want to sell the orginal.

But I almost always do thumbnails in the computer because it's too easy to move around a composition that way.

Also I can't stand looking at perfect white backgrounds. So I scanned in paper to put on my background layer so I always have I slightly off white to work against.

The side bar is Tablet Pro, its a touch screen layout for your computer. You can make it look any way you want.

https://i.imgur.com/cfJLhnF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U2sPnJl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GM9Yh4H.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DLTtE1w.jpg

One last thing if anyone wants to buy one I would wait till they refresh the line. I believe that is the next month. It will drive the ebay prices way down on this unit, and you can probly pick one up for sub 800.
              Last edited by 50%grey; 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the great review and also thanks for posting those screenshots. Keep em coming
                "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
                |LHW Bottomfeeder|
                PJ Sketchblog
                petethacreepofficial

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X