Shredder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredder

Hello everyone! This is my entry for this month's PUMMEL match. Any and all feedback and critique is much appreciated. Thanks again for your help!!

https://www.deviantart.com/nygma85

This is solid Elliot, good work. The cape looks stiff, specifically on page right, whereas the left side flows and sells it being fabric. I cant help but notice you've hidden Shredder's feet. Love the background detail, and the varied surface textures.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback man, it's much appreciated. You indeed pinpointed some of the weaknesses of this drawing, thanks for the good eye. I'll be more careful with the linework for capes next time, they're a bit tricky, but I have to get them right. I didn't even notice the feet being missing, it wasn't an intentional "I can't draw feet/Rob Liefeld" kind of thing, I just thought to put in the easter egg of the defeated turtles around him, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I was probably more focused on that than the his feet being there. Now that I think about it, I could've had his right foot rest over one of the turtles, that would've helped. I'm glad you liked the background, I tried to through in some tidbits to fill up that space. Thanks again for the feedback man, I appreciate you taking the time!

Comment

Hey man, really great piece! you draw a mean shredder! a few anatomy issues ( his right fist (our left) and the legs mostly) but really i think some line weight variation would really help this! lighten the background lines, thicken the line around the hand coming towards us and your piece gets some great depth!

i think i remember you saying your photoshop skills where lacking for lightening up the background so maybe try some screen tones? i hear theyre expensive but could help you make stuff pop!

again, really great work here!
        http://barcsdoodles.blogspot.ie/

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/eoinb

@barcswow on twitter and instagram

Comment

The lack of perspective is killing you. You don't have to draw an horizon first but, you can't draw it any later than third. As soon as you draw two items, the horizon has been set as those two items could not be "there" UNLESS the horizon is "here." Once "here" has been established, everything else can be properly set. Posters go at eye level. Shredder, hunched over as he is, has "lost" 2-2.5 heads off his height. Starting 2 heads above Shredder we draw a line through the top of the poster to the baseline of his feet which places the horizon at the bottom of the page. This means the shot is an extreme up shot... but it's not. So, either Shredder is completely wrong or everything else is completely wrong, take your pick.

The left foot points in the wrong direction. Wait? The left foot doesn't show. Doesn't matter, the knee shows and the knee points the same direction as the foot and the knee is in the wrong direction so the foot is too. If the figure faces front, then both feet will point "outside" Turn the figure 3/4 (which you did) and now both feet point to one side. In order to see the street we have to raise the horizon so we can look down. If we look down on the street we look down on the feet which means the right foot has to come up.

PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Thanks for the feedback man, I really appreciate. I don't think I have any background lines thicker than the Shredder figure, but I'll be more careful with the lineweight to make sure that the figure stands out from the background, same for Shredder's left hand, thanks for pointing that out.

Originally posted by crazyjedichicken View Post
            a few anatomy issues ( his right fist (our left) and the legs mostly)
            If you don't mind, could you show me what went wrong here? I'm not sure what you mean.

Originally posted by crazyjedichicken View Post
            i think i remember you saying your photoshop skills where lacking for lightening up the background so maybe try some screen tones? i hear theyre expensive but could help you make stuff pop!
            I've never used Photoshop and I didn't use any digital tool for this drawing. This drawing was done traditionally and most of my artwork is actually traditional artwork, I seldom use any digital tools. I think your lineweight idea would help to make the figure pop and would provide a nice alternative to the screen tones idea that you mention. Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedbak Smitty, I really appreciate it. I learn so much from your advice, thanks for taking the time to help me out. There are some questions that I had though, because I don't quite understand what you're explaining with the perspective issue.

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
              The lack of perspective is killing you. You don't have to draw an horizon first but, you can't draw it any later than third. As soon as you draw two items, the horizon has been set as those two items could not be "there" UNLESS the horizon is "here." Once "here" has been established, everything else can be properly set.
              I remember this piece of advice from before. You mention that the first two things that I draw are correct and that everything else that I draw will be correct ONLY if it properly aligns with the first two things. In this case, for this drawing, what would be the first two things? As I drew this, I started with the head, then I did the rest of the figure and then I did the background last. I fixed the background around the character, which is normally what I do. I don't know if that's correct or not, but that's normally how I approach a drawing. Since I did this process, how would I know where the horizon line would need to be in relation to Shredder?

Posters go at eye level.
              Since posters go at eye level, does that automatically make it the place where the horizon line goes? I put the posters there to fill up the negative space that would have been there had I not added them in. I didn't put them there to help me map out the perspective of this drawing, so I never took them into consideration when drawing the horizon line or when aligning the background to Shredder. Should I not have put them in?

Shredder, hunched over as he is, has "lost" 2-2.5 heads off his height. Starting 2 heads above Shredder we draw a line through the top of the poster to the baseline of his feet which places the horizon at the bottom of the page.
              If you don't mind, could you show me how this would look like? Sorry for all the trouble.

This means the shot is an extreme up shot... but it's not. So, either Shredder is completely wrong or everything else is completely wrong, take your pick.
              I would assume that since I started this drawing with Shredder, then that wouuld mean that everything else (the background) would be completely wrong. Let's say for the sake of this drawing that my pick is that the background is wrong. How would I fix it to line up properly with Shredder?

In order to see the street we have to raise the horizon so we can look down. If we look down on the street we look down on the feet which means the right foot has to come up.
              I'm assuming that this would be the solution. That I would have needed to raise the horizon line so that we could look down at his feet, even if slightly look down on his feet. Would this be right? Again, sorry for all the trouble and thanks for your help!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X