Halo Jones 2000AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halo Jones 2000AD

Halo Jones for a 2000AD art competition.
    Pencils, Inks, Colours - Matt Rowe (Me)

Comments and Criticisms are welcomed, thank you.
    Last edited by MattRowe; 01-14-2020, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Nice. Very dynamic composition and use of color and blacks. Which brings me to the main critique I would give, how boring her right leg is posed in an otherwise very active composition. Just a little bend of the knee would have gone a long way.
      Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Originally posted by pell View Post
        Nice. Very dynamic composition and use of color and blacks. Which brings me to the main critique I would give, how boring her right leg is posed in an otherwise very active composition. Just a little bend of the knee would have gone a long way.
        Thanks pell, I appreciate the feedback more than you know. I had trouble with the legs.
        I will keep that in mind next time I'm struggling with the leg poses. Cheers!

Comment

Great work! I like what you were going for here. I agree with Pell, however, and that the right leg is a bit off and stiff I would say, or if anything, not as dynamic as the rest of the drawing. One recommendation that I would give would to try out gesture drawing to help out with poses for figures. I'm currently working with it myself and I think it's helped a lot with putting the limbs in the right place and helping out with motion with figures. I was surprised to find out that even when standing, there's a motion present in the characters. That's just my two cents though, keep up the good work!
          https://www.deviantart.com/nygma85

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot Rodriguez View Post
            Great work! I like what you were going for here. I agree with Pell, however, and that the right leg is a bit off and stiff I would say, or if anything, not as dynamic as the rest of the drawing. One recommendation that I would give would to try out gesture drawing to help out with poses for figures. I'm currently working with it myself and I think it's helped a lot with putting the limbs in the right place and helping out with motion with figures. I was surprised to find out that even when standing, there's a motion present in the characters. That's just my two cents though, keep up the good work!
            Thanks Brother,
            It's funny you mention that, I've always found my work very stiff. I've been through a lot life drawing and gestural drawing classes. I've never been able to draw much from my shoulder, its always been a wrist/ forearm action for me. Which I know "classically" is wrong. But it's just not something I've been able to break practically.

Anyone else draw more from there lower arm?

Comment

My two cents is... I learned from this forum and Smitty that it's really not about one leg straight or not.. but about the weight distribution. As Smitty often suggests, assuming the pose yourself and feel will solve a lot of issues, I found. If you assume that lady's pose, you will most likely find that it's not possible to stay like that unless your left foot is somewhat directly under the body(not in front as you have it) and support the most weight.
              I really like your bold inking and colouring.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRowe View Post

(snip)

Lately I've been learning the classical way of drawing that teaches using the arm instead of the wrist. You'll still draw from the elbow when you're sitting, and sometimes when you're standing, but you try to minimize bending the wrist except for small details.

It's hard when, like me, you grew up drawing with the same grip and motion that you use to write. But you can learn if you practice. This past summer there was a period of several weeks where I drew 50 circles, 50 ovals and 50 rectangles of various sizes every day, seated or standing, using the whole arm on a large pad of newsprint. It was very uncomfortable at first, but by sticking with it with a mind to improve, I found I was making serviceable shapes by eye and hand with lots of control, even with my weak hand (my arm would get tired so I'd switch hands to keep the rhythm going).

I moved shortly after that period and I'm just getting my space set up for traditional drawing and painting again, but I find I've retained a lot of that muscle memory. I'm even experimenting with using the graphics pad on an easel to draw or paint digitally with the same technique:

Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Love the background, composition and colors. I tried to push the pelvis back by changing the ellipse on the belt, to give the pose more of a S shape. " Life is a S ". Hope it helps

to fight stiffness i try to apply this rules...

Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
                  LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
                  http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Excellent drawover Josem. By the way, I'm just noticing how similar are you guys' styles. When you make it big,

Edit: I just realized I left a partial comment that I meant to remove. But since I left it in, it was supposed to be something like "When you make it big, you should hire the other one to ghost for you and make twice the money."
                    Last edited by pell; 01-25-2020, 11:52 PM.

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Originally posted by MattRowe View Post

Thanks Brother,
                      It's funny you mention that, I've always found my work very stiff. I've been through a lot life drawing and gestural drawing classes. I've never been able to draw much from my shoulder, its always been a wrist/ forearm action for me. Which I know "classically" is wrong. But it's just not something I've been able to break practically.

Yeah, no problem man. I think it's all about practicing and practicing. I'm not immuned to the "stiffness" problem and I'm trying to fix that problem myself. What I can tell you is that there have been two things that have worked for me. Number 1, practice and practice and Number 2, this gesture drawing idea that I mentioned. I personally have felt that it's helped me out a lot with positioning a figure on the page the way I like it and it's also helped me with proportions. What I've done now in the last two or three drawings is I thumbnail like 20 different poses for the character that I want to draw and then when I find a pose that I like, that I think works well with the character, I use that thumbnail as a reference and then begin drawing on a new sheet the pose that I have just finished drawing.

Another part of the drawing comes during the inking process, where you have to keep that looseness in tact as you're doing the line work and making the proper strokes across the page. I feel that my artwork tends to get stiff when I start putting the ink on the paper, but I've realized that I have to keep as loose as I was with the pencil thumbnails as I do with the pen strokes during the inking phase, which brings me to what you just mentioned about drawing from the shoulder as opposed to the wrist or forearm.

I have that same problem as you do. I tend to draw from my wrist a lot, but since I've been working with this gesture drawing idea, I've noticed that I've been freeing up my hand a bit more and I've been leaning on my forearm area a bit more, just as a natural transition and one I didn't think about until you mentioned it here. I think you should work with what suits you the most, but it would be a good idea to lean off the wrist a bit, it may help loosen you up a bit. I hope this helps, but either way, keep up the good work!
                      https://www.deviantart.com/nygma85

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot Rodriguez View Post
                        Thanks! I appreciate the feedback, making a character feel like they have weight is tricky sometimes.
                        Sorry for the late reply.
                        Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by pell View Post

Lately I've been learning the classical way of drawing that teaches using the arm instead of the wrist. You'll still draw from the elbow when you're sitting, and sometimes when you're standing, but you try to minimize bending the wrist except for small details.

It's hard when, like me, you grew up drawing with the same grip and motion that you use to write. But you can learn if you practice. This past summer there was a period of several weeks where I drew 50 circles, 50 ovals and 50 rectangles of various sizes every day, seated or standing, using the whole arm on a large pad of newsprint. It was very uncomfortable at first, but by sticking with it with a mind to improve, I found I was making serviceable shapes by eye and hand with lots of control, even with my weak hand (my arm would get tired so I'd switch hands to keep the rhythm going).

I moved shortly after that period and I'm just getting my space set up for traditional drawing and painting again, but I find I've retained a lot of that muscle memory. I'm even experimenting with using the graphics pad on an easel to draw or paint digitally with the same technique:

Muscle memory is important for sure, I've never tried the shapes thing.
                          For years all I would draw is rough anatomy, different angles of it, size, proportions, and accuracy. Just getting it all down like you.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll be looking for that book!
                          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Josem View Post
                            Love the background, composition and colors. I tried to push the pelvis back by changing the ellipse on the belt, to give the pose more of a S shape. " Life is a S ". Hope it helps

to fight stiffness i try to apply this rules...
                            I'm very late with my reply's, but I did see this at the time you posted it, it was and is very helpful and i'm honestly blown away you took the time to go over my drawing like that. I really appreciate it and looked into what you're saying how to fight stiffness with the "S". Great feedback.

Thank You!

Comment

I'm just blown away with all the help in the comment section, thank you all again!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X