poppy i disagree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poppy i disagree

not really comic related. but i drew it on a comic board. poppy.

"when there's no more room in hell...the dead will walk the earth."

my drawings
    my crazy music
    my facebook

i traced the basic outline. here is what i swiped to get this finished product.

my drawings
    my crazy music
    my facebook

Comment

Is tracing the outline considered cheating. I wanted the shape accurate and could have done a complex grid and spent a couple hours that way. But opted this method.

my drawings
      my crazy music
      my facebook

Comment

I presume she's the "art installation/singer" Poppy... a very "interesting" personality to say the least. As for minimal tracing or photo reference I don't really have an issue with it. I'm not an artist per se, but have occasionally shown art. One piece I put here for review was of a white tiger that I traced the outline of an actual white tiger, but the interior was maze-work. I recall it getting absolutely savaged by some of the pros here due to it being a "copy", although 99% was my work. So there will be people who have an issue with it, but I no longer get my dander up about homage theft or even more stupidly pose theft or color combo theft.

Comment

If this were a professional work, I'd imagine that tracing would be a copyright violation if you do not have rights to the original image. To post it here, as long as you acknowledge the tracing/copying I think you're OK. By the way, artwork here does not have to be comics related.

I like your shading.
          Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

thanks for commenting. well. i drew it on a comic board. i only traced the basic shape so it wouldnt come out lop sided,

my drawings
            my crazy music
            my facebook

Comment

Aside from copyright issues, I think the general concern is that by tracing the basic proportions like this you are cheating yourself. You said you traced the basic shape so that it wouldn't come out lopsided. Well, if you freehand a drawing and it comes out lopsided, that means that there is an issue you need to address. It might be something perceptual, or it might be a lack of anatomical knowledge, or fine motor skills, or something. Taking a shortcut like this means that you don't necessarily work on the issue and learn to address the problem.

The other concern is that maybe you put less of your own artistic stamp on the work. I don't see a lot of overt outlining/tracing, but I have seen that people doing photorealistic pencil renderings on DeviantArt will do something similar. They'll put down simplified construction lines that they traced over a reference image, and then build the drawing off of that, They end up with something that looks like a photo. It's impressive in terms of accuracy and detail, but less of the personality of the artist comes through. Sometimes something that isn't so exact can be a lot more expressive and sometimes an artist's imperfections are like a discernable fingerprint that makes them recognizable and unique.
              sketchbook thread

Comment

For the areas that aren't photo referenced, it looks a bit flat. Mainly the hand and the hand proportions. The padlock doesn't have the right perspective either.

It's a decent study that can be improved by always referring to the source material. Study the hair that falls on her shoulders and chest Long continuous strands for the outline. Hair is time consuming, but if you put the time and effort to do the collar you can keep the consistency of all the elements in the drawing which will elevate it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X