Iron Man vs. Mandaring for the Draw Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Man vs. Mandaring for the Draw Off

Hey guys, let me just start by saying this thing was a TON of fun to draw. Until this piece I NEVER drew Iron Man and when I saw the draw off I thought "hey, first draw off on a character I'm drawing for the first time ....why not?" and so this piece was born.

Before anyone says it I know the foreshortening on his left arm looks a bit strange...I use a reference of myself doing the action but I guess in all the excitement I messed it up a bit. Sorry about not much more detail on Mandarin, like I said I never drew these characters before and finding a decent reference of mandarin was easy enough but it was still tough drawing him having never took the time to do it before.

Please forgive the fact that Mandarin's hair and clothing are moving in two different directions ( I only noticed this after I was done and couldn't really do anything about it short of redrawing the entire figure )

Lastly I didn't render it much at all because I was so pleased with how the damn thing looked without rendering I decided to go "anime" with it and stick with just the line weights and minimal rendering detail.

Well hope you guys enjoy it I know I did. Let me know what you think good, bad or ugly

BTW guys, I need a bit of help, I posted this work in the relevant Draw Off thread but is that how to actually put an entry in or do I need to PM a link to someone....I looked on the Challenges area to find some rules but that's all I found...rules not how to submit an entry...so if someone could please tell me if I just need to post it there or if I need to PM someone that would be really appreciated. Thanks !

P.S. took me about 2 and a half hours to finish...I really need to work on my speed.

Yeah I know I spelled Mandarin wrong in the title...whoops ?
    Last edited by TropicalPencil; 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM.
    my deviantart page

You've pretty much critiqued yourself haha. Great job on your first time out with Iron Man, he looks great! His armor looks great too.
    Gorilla Mouth Blog
    Gorilla Mouth Shop
    Twitter
    R.O.M.B.I.E.

Comment

Looks pretty good, only thing is the forshortening on the mandarins arm is a little extreme. As far as speed, don't worry too much Get good before you get fast, then you can learn shortcuts or ways to be quicker. no sweat.
      My Deviant Art gallery http://the-standard.deviantart.com/
      Check out my website:http://capitumini.com/
      Twitter:capitumini
      Facebook: Dan Capitumini
      Commission? just ask!

Comment

hmm mandarin's arm you say....well I guess it looks that way indeed...I really should have put more emphasis on mandarin ...damn....I was just so anxious to draw an Iron Man hehehehe. Thanks though !
        my deviantart page

Comment

Ok the first one had some problems with Iron Man's left arm so I hopefully fixed that and changed the direction of Mandarin's clothes and also got rid of the debris that comes from nowhere....so here it is ...

However I'm going to radically redesign this piece for the Draw Off but I want to know if I already posted in the Draw Off thread can I still upload something new ? or does it have to be exactly what I had in that thread...I'd really appreciate a response on this. Thanks.

my deviantart page

Comment

You have till the deadline to post whatever it is to be.
            My Deviant Page

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalPencil View Post
              However I'm going to radically redesign this piece for the Draw Off but I want to know if I already posted in the Draw Off thread can I still upload something new ? or does it have to be exactly what I had in that thread...I'd really appreciate a response on this. Thanks.
              You can edit you post to put the revised one in, or you can make another post and put it in and say "this is the new one", but I would still delete the old so there is no confusion.

There really isn't much wrong with the hands. The problem is, you used yourself as reference, and you are not built like a super hero. Generally hands are just slightly bigger in comics than in real life. Also because they are coming out towards the viewer they could be exaggerated bigger than what they would look like in real life. Usually, thickening the lines around forms that are close to the viewer will help this too.

I do understand what you're going for with this piece, so take my advice for what it's worth. It's a nice, clean piece. I'd like to see it finnished.
              my deviantart
              SKETCHUMS
              Wins: 29 (34%)
              Losses: 56
              ~end transmisson.

Comment

Nice action here! I'm wondering if maybe the Mandarang's (I like this spelling best) face should be turned towards the camera if he's getthin hit. Actually, if he's getting punched by ol' shellhead, you wouldn't think he'd have much of a face at all. It looks like his punch missed though, so maybe you should disregard the previous two sentences. Cool pic!
                http://nickbachman.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey all, updated my entry for the iron man draw off. It's not 100%...more like 95% but unless I get some serious time slowing mutant ability it'll have to do. Here it is, C&C welcome.

my deviantart page

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X