• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inkthinker
    Living in Canadian Paradise
    [SUPPORTER]
    • Nov 2001

Mistborn work again

Gearing up for some licensed visual development on the novels by Brandon Sanderson (actually for the RPG based on the novels), so I'll probably spend a good chunk at the end of the year on this sort of content. I haven't officially started the job yet, so until I have this is all "fan art", but I do prefer to work towards a purpose.

Amusingly enough, I've been drawing a lot of comics lately (not Mistborn but Fates work), but I'm not allowed to post any of 'em. So weak.

Anyhow, this is painted in B&W because I expect that's what I'll be doing (actually I expect to do a lot more linework, but I'm trying to push myself up a notch with paints. It's a painting of one of the main characters, and yes the sword is in proportion (it's taken from someone lit. twice her size, and she's using magic to bump her strength and resilience up to manage it. Trust me, it works within the context of the books).

But I since I had the values worked out, I thought I'd try putting a little color in there:

Mostly done by laying a flat color layer on Multiply over the greys, and then coming back for another pass to do the rim light and the details. Hit me back with your thoughts, let me know where I need to improve.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."
  • Telekinetic Ketchup
    • Dec 2008

God I love your work Ink I really really do.
    Sign your rep, What's a' matter Mcfly
    ...CHICKEN!?

MY COMIC!

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/

Comment

• PLOG
      • Mar 2002

Who doesn't like giganto-swords!? They're practically a staple nowadays.

I'd prefer to se a little more highlighting and such on her tassle cloak, to give it a tad more dimensionality, but it's a great piece anyways.

mice work, can't wait to see more.

mattPLOG
      It's only bad bacon, if it comes from a zombie pig...

PUMMEL:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...14YdVOeycvnGYA

DA http://mattplog.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Wo-Nellie
        VIP Member
        • Oct 2006

Mindnumblingly beautiful.

Comment

• Inkthinker
          [SUPPORTER]
          • Nov 2001

Thanks guys. I'll probably make a few edits to these before I'm done with 'em.
          ONLINE PORTFOLIO
          DevArt

Comment

• ThrashArt
            • Apr 2007

nice. was the costume design original?
            I couldn't think of a cool Sig...
            Now Available for commissions!!!
            Deviant Art: Http://Thrashart.deviantart.com

Comment

• Mr.Hades
              • Dec 2005

Cool. Very 'Sword Of The Berserk', and that's no bad thing!
              Big fan of yo stuff, Ink
              Check out the Vanguard web comic site.
              and here on Twitter

Comment

• Inkthinker
                [SUPPORTER]
                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by ThrashArt View Post
                nice. was the costume design original?
                In a manner of speaking. She's based on a novelization, and while Sanderson describes the clothing of the period from time to time, he often leaves the idea of what exactly someone is wearing (unless it's important) up to the reader.

I've been testing the image against the fans in his forum, and for the most part the response is very positive. If anything, they're more concerned about the size of the ash flakes than her outfit.

Fanbase forums are the most excellent resource for adaptation material. They will at least tell you if you're completely off-base with a design, and if you nail it they're your biggest supporters.
                ONLINE PORTFOLIO
                DevArt

Comment

• Breck
                  • Jun 2004

Very cool. Something about the sword seems off though. Looks like it's very thin all the way up to the top, where it becomes very fat. Meaning, if you were to view it from the side it would look like this:

/\
                  \/
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  |

Comment

• FIG
                    Tu mero padre
                    • Apr 2001

I like the second colored version. I already saw this at your deviantart but nice work.
                    Website
                    DeviantArt

Comment

• MaxRomaine
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by PLOG View Post
                      Who doesn't like giganto-swords!? They're practically a staple nowadays.
                      I wasn't going to say anything, but since you asked...
                      I, for one, DO NOT like "giganto-swords". Not at all. I think they look ridiculous. I don't care how strong someone is, no self-respecting warrior would want to use a sword twelve feet long that weighs as much as a small car. And if these things have become a staple, then I wish someone would yank it out.

There. I ranted. I'm done now.

~Max Romaine

Comment

• Inkthinker
                        [SUPPORTER]
                        • Nov 2001

Point 01 - I agree with you, with two exceptions: Berserk, where the creator went to pains to explain it in context and it's a unique character trait (i.e. everyone in that story agrees with your point of view), and Mistborn, where (see 2 & 3).

Point 02 - This particular scene only happens once that I can recall throughout the length of the trilogy. It's not a regular aspect, she doesn't carry these things around all the time.

Point 03 - She stole it from a monster that's 12 feet tall, and she's got the enhanced body (for a short while at least) to use it against an army of other monsters 12 feet tall. In that context, it works. In others, she wouldn't be doing it.

None of which would I expect someone to pick up from a single image, so it's understandable. I'd just hate for you to think the whole series of books is all about the giganto-swords. That's his next book.

And it's only 6 feet long (maybe 7 with the hilt if you're being picky). Good lord man, how tall do you think that girl is?
                        ONLINE PORTFOLIO
                        DevArt

Comment

• MaxRomaine
                          • Feb 2009

Of course a writer can come up with a million contrived reasons why the main character needs a sword that huge, but it definitely comes off contrived and still looks ridiculous. The main reason I think such a weapon is silly is that it would become virtually useless the moment you stepped indoors. You wouldn't have enough room to swing something that big around.

When I said twelve feet long I was exaggerating a bit. I measured her and the sword with a ruler and assuming she's of average height the sword looks to be approximately 7 1/2 feet long and 9 inches wide weighing (rough guess here) around 350-400 lbs. Still ridiculous. The blade must be made out of something far stronger than any Earthly material because, even if it were made of titanium steel, a sword that big would bend after a few hits.

But that's just my humble opinion.

~Max Romaine

Comment

• Breck
                            • Jun 2004

Who's to say the sword isn't made out of some alien metal so that it's more durable than steel yet only weighs 10 pounds? Who's to say the chick wielding it doesn't have superhuman strength?

Max, you're limiting yourself to real world physics. There's no fun in that.

Also:
                            Originally posted by MaxRomaine View Post
                            The main reason I think such a weapon is silly is that it would become virtually useless the moment you stepped indoors. You wouldn't have enough room to swing something that big around.
                            I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many action scenes with swords of any size take place in tiny, little rooms.
                            Last edited by Breck; 05-17-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• MaxRomaine
                              • Feb 2009

Breck: As I said, "Of course a writer can come up with a million contrived reasons why the main character needs a sword that huge." I like having fun as much as anyone, but I also like things to make sense. When you read fiction of any kind you always have to exercise a little suspension of disbelief, but some things, "giganto-swords" included, require more time in the gym than my disbelief-suspending muscles care to spend. Such things are so ridiculous-looking that I can't enjoy the story. I just end up laughing my ass off at how silly the characters look. Anyone who's seen the gravity-defying hair on Rob Liefeld's Bloodwulf can imagine the effect.

But, to each their own.

~Max Romaine

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X