X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Quinn

Howdy,

Thanks for looking.

Frag ,the rendering looks very good,but there are some issues with the hands.

Main problem tho is in the composition itself. Need to think of every angle or element that points ( eyes,gun ,etc) as a invisible arrow.

Every time you let the eye escape the page it is like giving the viewer an exit sign for your artwork.

As artists we can trick people's eyes into focusing a very long time on any piece of art. Your favorite artists will be extremely good at that if you break down there compositions.

To start off,the smooth contour of your composition should be given less room on the page then the more complicated contour (outline). You did a pretty good job on that,but you may want to move the figure more to the right and give the more complicated side more room to breathe

Just did a quick arrow blueprint in MS paint. The red arrows are where you are leading the eye around while still keeping it on the page. The purple arrows are where you are allowing your viewer to move there eye off the page.

Now remember you could use alot of elements in your drawing,not just the contour to make those invisible arrows. Such as the Diamonds on her suit,the way you light the figure etc.

Anyway great job man
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Comment

Her hands don't look as good as the rest of the pic . I love the rendering on the pistol .

Comment

I don't see this whole invisible-arrows-leading-the-eye-away business.

The only thing about the composition that leads the eye away from the figure is the large white space above the arms combined with the arms pointing down and away from the body towards this giant gun. The result is your eye wants to drift to the gun and it steals the emphasis. Also, the gun angle is off and her head is too far down and to the left.

Basically, shorten the arms, pull the gun angle down so it's more parallel with the leg, and push the head up and back. You can also use the floppy things on her head to help balance the pull toward the gun.

Here's a scribbly overlay of what I'm talking about. (I suck at keeping smooth lines with a mouse)

Comment

I don't see this whole invisible-arrows-leading-the-eye-away business.
          It's a basic design principle used in every art composition book ever written,and works on a subconscious level.
          Same thing applies with crossing angles being dynamic,and parallel lines appearing boring.

Any strong angle directs your eye like an arrow. Any strong element ,like where the eyes are looking does the same thing.

It is used heavily in graphic arts and especially in comics to move your eye from one panel to the next or to keep your eye going around in circles in a single illustration.

The understructure of your drawing is more important then your final render.

For instance in your Correction you have drasticly changed the compostion. Now the active side is on her right side where before it was on her left side. Even in the correction there are strong indicators of the eye being pulled off the page,such as the left side of her hat pointing directly to the right without any strong element to bring it back into the page. You always need to balence any piece of artwork out.
          Last edited by 50%grey; 03-13-2009, 06:16 PM.
          “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Comment

I understand the concept, I just don't think your arrows are very accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Breck View Post
              I understand the concept, I just don't think your arrows are very accurate.
              Please explain.

Gun is leading the eye off the page without another strong element to bring it back in = 1st set of arrows

Eyes are looking directly to the right compounded with the angle of the hat = equals another exit for the eye

Strong angles on the legs combined with diamonds on leg that even look like arrows pointing completely down.

Any strong element of your drawing that leads that eye off must be balanced with something to lead it back in on a single illustration.

Unless you want people to just look at something else. /shrug

Comment

Good stuff but here are some tweaks
                SOVEREIGN: The Return vol. 1 is now live on kickstarter. Please support or spread the word https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...raphic-novel-0

Comment

Originally posted by 50%grey View Post
                  Gun is leading the eye off the page without another strong element to bring it back in = 1st set of arrows
                  Correct.

Eyes are looking directly to the right compounded with the angle of the hat = equals another exit for the eye
                  The eyes appear to be looking directly at the viewer to me. I don't get the feeling they are leading the eye off the page at all.

Strong angles on the legs combined with diamonds on leg that even look like arrows pointing completely down.
                  I don't get this at all. What "strong angles?" It's just legs. Those are how legs are shaped. The only thing about the legs that is leading the eye off the page is the fact that the rest of them is literally off the page. You could make a case about not cropping at that point on the legs, but people do it all the time. It's a pretty standard framing technique. And seriously, the diamonds? It's part of the costume and there's nothing about them leading the eye anywhere. They are just diamonds.

Any strong element of your drawing that leads that eye off must be balanced with something to lead it back in on a single illustration.
                  If that was true then everything anyone ever draws should be in the shape of a circle or spiral. You make it out like every single line on the page has to somehow point back to the center. It's unavoidable to have lines that lead off the page. It doesn't mean your eye will sit there and subconsciously try to follow all of them out your window and down the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Huerta View Post
                    Good stuff but here are some tweaks
                    Hahaha did you really have to go there with the fart?

Comment

If that was true then everything anyone ever draws should be in the shape of a circle or spiral. You make it out like every single line on the page has to somehow point back to the center. It's unavoidable to have lines that lead off the page. It doesn't mean your eye will sit there and subconsciously try to follow all of them out your window and down the street.
                      Lines that lead off the page are fine,but if it is a strong element of the drawing then it needs to be balanced with another strong element to bring it back in.

Just break down any of your favorite artists and you will see that they almost never allow you're eye to leave that page unless they want you to.

I don't understand the center thing you can lead a person's eye around in every shape possible (can even do shapes within shapes). Point is to never leave the page completely ( this is only for single ilusstrations, in comics you want them to move to the next panel)

The eyes appear to be looking directly at the viewer to me. I don't get the feeling they are leading the eye off the page at all.
                      We will just have to disagree on that. My gut feeling when I forced myself up there due to the massive pull down was she is looking off camera.The basis of that inital reaction was the pupils combined with the hat movement to the right.

I don't get this at all. What "strong angles?" It's just legs. Those are how legs are shaped. The only thing about the legs that is leading the eye off the page is the fact that the rest of them is literally off the page. You could make a case about not cropping at that point on the legs, but people do it all the time. It's a pretty standard framing technique. And seriously, the diamonds? It's part of the costume and there's nothing about them leading the eye anywhere. They are just diamonds.

Breck, composition and design is the basis of all artwork.
                      It is not what you see it is what you don't see that makes the most difference.

Legs are made up of shapes,those shapes can be made to emphasize elements in your composition. When you are composing a picture you are thinking of how all those pieces fit together. You are to worried about the surface,and not enough on the underneath. That's why some artists take days just putting down there inital blueprints.

If diamonds are part of the costume you need to take that in to consideration when posing that leg. The original illustration has an amazing amount of weight that is pulling you down already due to the gun,the legs are just another section that helps you exit that drawing.
                      Last edited by 50%grey; 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

There's no point for us to keep butting heads in this guy's thread. We can take any further discussion to PMs.

Comment

Yep what they said. I like the layout though. All that stuff they both said is true in varing degrees. I too feel the eyes are looking at the viewer. I find the hands and the head the major distraction for me, more than the flow of the eye movement. With the shoulder that high on the face you need to pull the arms up a bit. I do like the rendering

Comment

Yep what they said. I like the layout though. All that stuff they both said is true in varing degrees. I too feel the eyes are looking at the viewer. I find the hands and the head the major distraction for me, more than the flow of the eye movement. With the shoulder that high on the face you need to pull the arms up a bit. I do like the rendering

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X