galaxian colored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• galaxian colored

this took me forever to color. i think it looks good, though.

The sky definitely needs some work its just a big grayish square with some white at the bottom. Also I'd add some sort of effect to indicate that the orange guy is the one causing the havoc because I always assumed it was mr universe who was lifting the ground in protection from nothing.
    Sign your rep, What's a' matter Mcfly
    ...CHICKEN!?

MY COMIC!

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/

Comment

Hi. It looks good!
      Just a little things. It looks too dark to me. I think that you have used too much black in the image. It's imposible to see the lineart in some places. Another detail, it's day light, isn't it? There is a rule: obejct that are very far away appear to be lighter and less intense than those objects that are close to us.
      So you can do some color hold to the buildings in the background to separate background and foreground.
      I wish my comment helps.
      Sorry my english!!! May be you don't understand anything because I am really bad writing.
      I did a little overpaint with my crits, if you want to see it tell me and I can upload it.
      Good work!
      My last post. Take a look!
      Mauro Barbosa - Colorist, flatter and caricaturist.

Comment

thanks, guys. rancez, i am not sure how to "color hold". i want to see your overpaint. thanks.

Comment

Hi. A color hold is when you change the color of the lineart.
          Here is the overpaint. Obviously that it's just my opinion and just to show you some points like the black color, planes, etc. It's just a help. May be it's not the feeling that you are finding.

Comment

that does look much better. so, i should change the black line art of the buildings to a lighter shade of gray? and the fire line art to orange? i like the waves around the wooden idol. thanks for the tips. when i get home tonight i will work on it some more.

Comment

Hey Delaney,
              nice start, but I agree with Rancez that it needs work. I think you should focus on using your colors to separate the picture into planes- foreground, midground and background. The paintover you got shows that principle at work and it makes a great difference.

Also, a lot of your rendering looks pretty mushy. Did you use the airbrush tool in Photoshop for your colors? I think you might want to try using more solid blocks of color to define shapes in your art- it makes you think of each object in the picture as a 3D shape.
              Just a couple thoughts.
              –Steve
              Downer IllustrationTumblrTwitterDeviantArtDracula The Unconquered

Comment

You are welcome.
                Originally posted by delaneyclark View Post
                i should change the black line art of the buildings to a lighter shade of gray?
                YEah, or a bluish-grey. Usually, it depends of the background color, for instance, if your sky is orange, then the building could be warm-grey, etc.

Originally posted by delaneyclark View Post
                and the fire line art to orange?
                I think that it would be great.

when i get home tonight i will work on it some more.
                Yeah! That's the way to learn. I have learned a lot reading this an other forums.
                I'll be waiting your update.

Comment

well, i spent 3 hours on it. i think it looks better. now my eyes are hurting from staring at this screen.

Last edited by delaneyclark; 02-14-2009, 10:42 PM. Reason: updated pic

Comment

Hey delaneyclark! You have followed the crits pretty good! It looks much better to me.
                    Congrats!
                    Remember that far away objects are more desaturated, so the blue cars need to be less vibrants. And I think the color of the galaxy in his chest doesn't much. His clothes are bluish-white, red and grey; may be is better to choose one of them.
                    Well done!!

Comment

thanks. what effect did you use to make that orange glow around the wooden idol? i like the way that looks.

Comment

Hi! Sorry my late reply! I was on the beach for 2 days.

This is one way, there are infinite ways to do something like that.
                        This is what I have done:
                        1- I did 2 layers on the top, set the 2 layers to screen.
                        2- on the layer on the top I painted the orange lines around the guy
                        3- clic on Fx button in the layer's panel, option outer glow
                        4- change the color to the same color of the line (or similar)
                        5- play a little with the spread, size and range options until you have 2 smooth lines
                        6- press ok
                        7- merge down, you will have your old layers and one layer on the top with the orange glow
                        8- I changed the opacity because it's too much visible
                        9- I used some smudge tool.

That's all.
                        Any doubt just tell me.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X