Comic Figure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comic Figure

This is just a sketch I did for practice for this project I'm working on. It turned out good to be a sketch, so I finalized it. Let me know what you guys think.

-Anubis
    I don't bother making points, because there is no point.

My webcomic| Redux Deluxe

The shiny kind of effect you used makes his body look quite bulbous... though his face and neck look pretty flat and dull in comparison. Maybe a shadow under his chin/jaw would help?
    I am why we can't have nice things.
    dA|Tumblr

Comment

Some fine, controlled inking there Anubis! hats off to you on the pointillism for the smoke effect as well! My issues with this are the bulbousness celes mentioned which may be exaggerated by the fact that you have combined the muscle groups into distinct spherical shapes. In this pic

http://z.about.com/d/comicbooks/1/7/9/R/colossus.jpg

You can see that even though the muscle and tendon groups are abbreviated, there are a just a few more than you used and it makes a MUCH better figure. Also, the narrow hips. There is no evidence of the Illium or outer hip bone. In most super muscled people, it is implied with just a small bump near or above the waist, but here, the size difference btween the shoulders and waist makes it very noticeable that the Illium has not been rendered.

The hands are looking good, but the fingers are a tad long compared to the thumbs.

Overall, very strong and fun to look at!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion guys. And OldNoob, I never even realized that about the hip bone until you pointed it out.

Comment

Human Anatomy is a lifetime of study. It takes a long time to understand even the basics. Some great books are:

For abbreviation of things like hair and such
          Jack Hamm's Drawing the human Figure

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-F...8512215&sr=1-1

For Figures in highly foreshortened and energetic poses
          Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Figure...8512285&sr=1-1

All the books by Hogarth are amazing. The show highly exaggerated structure of figures so you see how things interlock in the extreme poses that comics people are likely to do, rather than the standard standing/seated poses most anatomy books show.

Comment

I just bought both those books, and I love them.

Hogarth is a master of knowing what to exaggerate so that you will remember muscle superposition clearly in your head. I can't quite figure out why some people say his books are no good.

Comment

I have this book too: "Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing".

I agree, it's a great book with plently of clear and concise drawings on the dominant masses. Great and easy to read! Mine is falling apart cause i read it so much.

Comment

Yeah...I'll definitely have to add that book to my collection then...

Comment

I like that one even more than your other post. This guy seems to be made out of chrome bubbles. I just think the hands don't go to well with that style (and the thumbs, in particular his left one, are a tad misplaced).
                  It really looks to me like something you would find in that Underground stuff from the late 60s/70s, so I wonder what your influences are?

Regards,
                  Sven

Comment

Not bad at all...probably turn out to be one hell of a villain. Am I right or wrong? Keep it up, dude! (We all need to keep it up).
                    Last edited by thebigone; 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM.
                    I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X