This is what happens when I stay up all night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what happens when I stay up all night

This is the sort of thing that happens when I stay up over 24 hours, and drink 3 or more mugs of espresso………

Ok so the face is probably the best thing I've seen you draw. Good angle and expression. My only nitpick is that the glasses look a bit asymmetrical--on the right hand side the lens looks rounder than on the left.

As you go down the composition, however, it gets progressively sloppier, which is unfortunate given the quality of the face. The M on the chest doesn't conform to the shape of his body. The linework on the arms is very blocky and crude. The angular lines on the torso look somewhere between shading and actual scratches. The ribs look too short. His right hand looks like it has three fingers and it sort of looks like he's groping himself. If you spent some time refining it, it would be a higher quality illustration overall.
    sketchbook thread

Comment

love the colour combination. Wish line quality was a bit more controlled in arms just like the face. This time you limited your shadow strokes than usual, but still the torso area's hatching is not necessary and makes it confusing, especially in this broad style.
      But me like it overall, minus the squid hand/forearm

Comment

The answer is clear. You need less sleep and more caffeine.
        PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
          The answer is clear. You need less sleep and more caffeine.
          Whoa.

THAT'S a surprise!

Considering Battewraith's comments, I'd dreaded reading what you posted………I expected to be torn apart by you on this.

This is me, pleasantly surprised………thanks, man (unless of course I've mis-interpreted your remark)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll say now, though, what I ALMOST admitted to when I originally posted this:
          The head/face is………(gulp!)…………a TRACING of the selfie-photo I took for reference for my "Sgt. Pepper" piece. Which is why it looks so good. I'd only acquired an older version of Manga Studio a couple of months ago, and this is only the third piece I've done using it (as a side-note…………not relevant to the point about me cheating by tracing)
          Last edited by yomark; 10-23-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

And if I DID mis-interpret, please interpolate

Comment

Tracing is not cheating as long as you learned from it. A lot of drawing is repetition, as are a lot of vocations. Draw something a hundred times, it will be easier and need less time and effort the 101st time.
              OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
              My Blog
              My DeviantART Page
              PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Originally posted by humble-tomato View Post
                love the colour combination. Wish line quality was a bit more controlled in arms just like the face. This time you limited your shadow strokes than usual, but still the torso area's hatching is not necessary and makes it confusing, especially in this broad style.
                But me like it overall, minus the squid hand/forearm

Thanks………I think. As I said above, the face was a tracing, where the body was a quick drawing of a body to put it on, based on another artist's drawing of Steve Rogers:

And before that, I'd tried these (also other artist's work, if that wasn't obvious):

Last edited by yomark; 10-23-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas71 View Post
                  Tracing is not cheating as long as you learned from it. A lot of drawing is repetition, as are a lot of vocations. Draw something a hundred times, it will be easier and need less time and effort the 101st time.

Thanks. And I didn't think it was a waste………it was just a spur-of-the-moment experiment, which I blew WAY out of proportion, as tend to do when I haven't slept. I just mention it because of Battelwraith's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by battlewraith View Post
                    …and it sort of looks like he's groping himself…
                    Ha! (I just re-read that, and it made me laugh)

Comment

How's THIS one, guys? (on the matter of more consistent line-work, that is):

(sorry if this violates the protocols for posting in this forum, but since we seem to be on reasonable terms, I was just curious)

Comment

Originally posted by yomark View Post
                        Whoa.

THAT'S a surprise!
                        Well, I'm a little less impressed knowing it's not just you drawing but, it's the simplification that strikes me. Cleaner and lacking the grotesque stylings we've come to view as yomarkisms.

Seems to me there was a David Bowie from you a while back that received similar reactions and it too was photo based so...

Less sleep, more caffeine and photoref. All Williamson, Alex Ross, Dan Brereton... all kinds of folks use photos.
                        PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
                          Well, I'm a little less impressed knowing it's not just you drawing but, it's the simplification that strikes me. Cleaner and lacking the grotesque stylings we've come to view as yomarkisms.

Seems to me there was a David Bowie from you a while back that received similar reactions and it too was photo based so...

Less sleep, more caffeine and photoref. All Williamson, Alex Ross, Dan Brereton... all kinds of folks use photos.

You know………I WISH I could just "like" your post, 'cause I don't have the energy right now to reply.

………hey…………wait-a-minnit…………………

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X