X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Taco

Got around to coloring my July Pummel entry:

sketchbook thread

Nice stuff. I was wondering, what color method do you use for your grey tone work? I'm going to start using the gradient map method that Artgerm likes to use. It seems faster.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

I use gradient maps a lot, as well as photofilters and things like adjusting the curves. I also use a technique where I take color I've laid down and simplify it using the filter noise:median. Then I apply unsharp mask, which exaggerates the edges and tonal variation. Then I apply that altered color layer back on the picture using a mask to control how much it's applied to different areas.

Using gradient maps to convert greyscale to color is a fast way to get started, but you need to keep in mind that value gradiation will generally result in tonal variation--but not always. So there will be areas of skin for instance that will have a consistent value across a surface but will vary in saturation and color due to sun exposure or redness from blood flow near the surface of the skin.
      The gradient map is a global value that you put on the entire surface of the skin and then you directly paint the variation where it's needed or apply other filters and masks.
      sketchbook thread

Comment

Yeah, I figure there will be some over painting to do after the base Gradient map. Stanley Lau has a really good youtube vid on how to really control the color output that the gradient map will apply. The other techniques you mentioned sound interesting too.

Thanks man!
        OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
        My Blog
        My DeviantART Page
        PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X