3pt BG plus... some ppl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3pt BG plus... some ppl.

So, I really need to fall in love with doing backgrounds. Figured I'd take some time and do this city scape up. After it was done though I realized a few things - 1) man, those buildings get tedious! lol, and 2) it was fairly easy just to add a few characters into it after and, well... here it is.

Venom really isn't all that special here, I know. But I think gwen turned out ok.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Nice work man, buildings looked awesome.

Two things that would help, move Gwen to the right a bit so her foot isn't forming a tangent with the building. Venom gets lost. Particularly his head. If he was more in the open against the backdrop of the lighter buildings, he'd pop more.
    See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
    DeviantArt

Comment

Thanks for the solid tips, man. Tried to change it up a bit to match your suggestions. Moved SG, and lightened up V.

Also added in some reflections.
      My Deviant Art page
      My PUMMEL stats

Comment

Hi Juggertha, nice image!

Sorry in advance if this critique is out of line. I'm still trying to find my bearings on this wonderful forum.

Some notes:

1) The horizon seems to be in view, which distorts the image as the third vanishing point is relatively close to the image. And the two vanishing points on the horizon are too close to the image, and they are equal distance removed from the pane.

2) The side lines of the building lead to the top left and right corners. Not a problem in this case, but be careful with that, these points tend to draw attention and lead the eye out of the page.

3) For the second version, you still have a tangent at her right foot foot as the tip of her foot is close enough to the building that if you see the image as a thumbnail they still touch.

4) The poses of the characters are really expressive and their silhouettes read well. However, you broke that a bit with Venom as his legs blend into the black tar road on the ground and the black curve on the building looks like his cape and his hand doesn't stand apart from the building that much. His silhouette has become hard to read due to the background you placed behind him. It happens a little with spider gwen too at her left hip, which touches a dark pane of a building, and her right arm, which has a dark patch and a dark pane of a building to the other side of her arm, making it harder to read that arm. Use contrast of tone, color, warmth, saturation or texture to make elements stand out against each other some more, it creates more sense of depth (which is something you are also going for in this image I think) and makes the image easier to read. Also, her top torso is light, you could have placed the entire dark building behind her so she stood out against it. And her lower is dark, you could have placed that entirely against the light background behind her.

5) It is kind of weird to have these incredibly tall buildings behind them and to then have no other building behind them that is anywhere near as high. But this may be an aspect of the 'world' they inhabit, these buildings represent the head quarters of the bad guy? I don't read American comics that much so I may have this wrong.

6) Rotate the buildings a bit. Now, they are all connected to the same two vanishing points on the horizon.

I think you can fix these problems early in the design process, while drawing several quick throwaway thumbnails of the scene.

Nice drawing though!

I thought I'd try my take on it, more for my own practice really, see image below. Also the abstract design elements tell a story: together with Venom (which is dark) the dark left building and that dark pointy part in the background visually push Spider Gwen into the dark building on the right. However, she towers over him, suggesting she's the stronger one in this situation. The busy little diamonds formed by the buildings in the background help give a restless feel.

You can see the effect it has on the clarity of the image, the readability. The characters don't disappear into their backgrounds as much, they pop against their backgrounds, their silhouette remains readable. In this case I used tonal contrast (and color a bit) to make them contrast against their background.

The buildings in the background should have drawn with less contrast so they suggest depth more. Anyway, it's just a quick design sketch and not as carefully rendered as your image.

I probably got the perspective wrong also, but the abstract tonal composition does work I think, even as a thumbnail:

Any way, sorry if this not meant to be a thread for critiques... And I hope it makes sense, I'm still learning this stuff myself...
        Last edited by ayalpinkus; 05-14-2017, 06:07 AM.
        https://www.ayalpinkus.nl/

Comment

Ayalpinkus, thanks so much for taking the time to break that down. Some amazing points - the strongest of which, to me, what how the thumbs read. Your thumbnails read far clearer, especially when taking into account tonal contrasts!! Venom against the light, and SpiderGwen against light/dark would have been soooo much better!!

If i had an excuse it'd be that this was a background exercise, and I just wanted to throw some characters onto it - but apparently, that really shows! I didn't do any thumbs or plot it out, and it hurts the piece a lot.

Again, crits are very welcome AND appreciated!!
          My Deviant Art page
          My PUMMEL stats

Comment

Nice drawing - the background looks really good to me. I agree with much of the advice, like making the other buildings closer in size to the two really big ones - but the first impression is really strong.

I only wish the two figures had more detail - the background is full of nice things while the figures are a bit contoured/stylized. I understand you just added them as an extra, but with a bit more details, it'd really make it even more dynamic.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X