X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titus: Heroic Failure #1 cover - inks

Pencils:
    CORKTOWN #1-2 on Comixology

This is one of the rare moments where I think the inks really add to the picture (I have no idea why, but I just love pencils and most of the time when I see them next to the inks, I feel that so much got lost in the inking, I'd always vote for the pencils).

These are really nice clean lines with good lineweight and great shading. Are these done digitally? About the fingers, the lacking ones are actually less disturbing to me than the little odd looking ones, but that is just a nitpick.

Regards,
    Sven

Comment

Originally posted by Kopone View Post
      This is one of the rare moments where I think the inks really add to the picture (I have no idea why, but I just love pencils and most of the time when I see them next to the inks, I feel that so much got lost in the inking, I'd always vote for the pencils)
      disagree 10000000000000000000000%

nice inks, scott!
      DON'T CLICK
      http://nickguy0320.deviantart.com/
      http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...php?71084-Doom
      I miss when we all drew like Joe MAD and argued about the Matrix

Comment

I agree that the inks add a tremendous amount to the picture. You're a really strong inker and I enjoy seeing your finished pieces.

A few nitpicks.

I do think you should have increased the size of his torso in the first picture, cause right now (and maybe it's just me), but my eyes are drawn to his crotch, not his abs.

The other thing that sort of gets to me is that if this is a teen bop magazine spoof, you didn't go far enough with the stars and inlets. Three seems like such a small amount. I would have expected you to push that further or at least make the stars bigger. Right now it seems so tame. And maybe that was an intentional choice, but for me, you spoofing looses some of its bite.

Lastly, the the way you finished the lines on the left leg seem strange. The way they seem to wisp away from underneath him make him actually seem like a ghost more then a person. It breaks my illusion that hes got weight on it.

Anywhoo, I'm nitpicking you on most of this cause you've got a strong image. Just somethings that might be able to help you in the future.

Hope this helps.

--Brian
        Visit my blog - http://eldrawingbriano.wordpress.com/

Comment

These are really nice clean lines with good lineweight and great shading. Are these done digitally? About the fingers, the lacking ones are actually less disturbing to me than the little odd looking ones, but that is just a nitpick.

Regards,
          Sven
          This was inked with a brush and Speedball ink. What lacking fingers are you talking about?

Originally posted by NickGuy View Post
          nice inks, scott!
          Thanks.

Originally posted by shoryukenmaster View Post
          The other thing that sort of gets to me is that if this is a teen bop magazine spoof, you didn't go far enough with the stars and inlets. Three seems like such a small amount. I would have expected you to push that further or at least make the stars bigger. Right now it seems so tame. And maybe that was an intentional choice, but for me, you spoofing looses some of its bite.
          Most of the space on this will be taken up by text. The cover is very text-heavy so I had to leave a lot of room for that. The stars were as big as I could make them without them being cut off the cover.

Lastly, the the way you finished the lines on the left leg seem strange. The way they seem to wisp away from underneath him make him actually seem like a ghost more then a person. It breaks my illusion that hes got weight on it.
          This is a full bleed cover and you're seeing parts that will be cut off when it prints. I didn't ink his legs all the way to the edge of the paper because you're not going to see it when it prints.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Comment

I agree with Kopone. I always love a pencilled piece over an inked one. But, in this instance, the inks really bring a lot to this. Super-clean and great weights.
            I really like the face in this.
            As for nitpicks... I think his left shoulder is pushed off way to the side. Bringing in that entire bicep line would help. Also, in that 3/4 angle, the forearm wouldn't cross over the upper arm that much. You could probably do away with that line completely.
            Quick edit. Hope you don't mind:

And I'd like to have seen the back line of his right leg. It looks like that line will get cropped off anyway, but right now, without it, that leg appears insanely thick.
            Sorry if I'm being super-critical.
            The style of the image is really cool and the quality of the inkwork is great.
            "I'm a guy, dammit!"

deviantart
            myspace

Comment

Originally posted by babycakes View Post
              Quick edit. Hope you don't mind:
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../titusedit.jpg
              And I'd like to have seen the back line of his right leg. It looks like that line will get cropped off anyway, but right now, without it, that leg appears insanely thick.
              Sorry if I'm being super-critical.
              The style of the image is really cool and the quality of the inkwork is great.
              Thanks a lot. I see your points and I'll make those changes. I'm coloring it right now, hopefully I'll be able to post the flats soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottEwen View Post
                This was inked with a brush and Speedball ink. What lacking fingers are you talking about?
                Amazing. This is so clean, I'd bet vital body parts it was digital Glad I did not, haha.
                I'm talking about the missing fingers in the pencils. I did not notice at all, but when the inked fingers kinda bugged me, I wanted to compare to the pencils and there they were...not.

Regards,
                Sven

Comment

Amazing. This is so clean, I'd bet vital body parts it was digital Glad I did not, haha.
                  I'm talking about the missing fingers in the pencils. I did not notice at all, but when the inked fingers kinda bugged me, I wanted to compare to the pencils and there they were...not.

Regards,
                  Sven
                  Ah, okay. I thought you meant Titus was missing a finger or two. I accidentally posted the first version of the pencils instead of the second version I did, although in the second version his fingers were still too small, so I made 'em bigger before inking:

Comment

Very nice clean inkwork. I would have sworn too it had to have been done in Manga Studio.

Other than the anatomical issues that have been pointed out, there is something incredibly hard about doing an arms crossed pose. I have no idea why, but I have tremendous problems when trying to draw it (specially in 3/4 perspective). My biggest problem when trying to do this is usually the hands on the opposing biceps.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X