Supergirl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supergirl

Here is the line art for my Supergirl. My goal was to give her a natural looking stance. Everybody want to do action scenes, but heroes do stand around sometimes. Also, I really need to do more cityscapes. Get some variety back there...

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Man, that looks nice, fellow Chris. It's when you can portray a sense of power and presence from a character when they are doing nothing that you know you've captured their essence. Great work!

Comment

Pretty cool!

Comment

Thanks guys!
        OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
        My Blog
        My DeviantART Page

Comment

You could use some bolder lines on Supergirl. Just in the black & white art the lines are kind of similar in weight. If you color it up, color holds on the buildings would push her forward.

Call me crazy, but her arms feel a bit long, or her legs a bit short.

I love this design. After all, she is wearing thigh boots - the official footwear of superheroing! (Captain Britain, Killraven - all the best heroes wear them)
          New and improved for 1996!
          Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Looks cool man, the ankle bones look the other way arround, inside one seats higher then the outside one, i think.
            Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
            LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
            http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

I like it! Great work on the cape.

Comment

Cool work, man!!

A couple things- her neck looks weird, like it's either too thin, too long or not connecting in the right place.

Minor tangent between her left arm and her belt where it wraps around her left hip. Looks a little like it wraps around her arm too. :-)

Her skirt feels a little flat. I think you might need to cheat the bottom edge a little to wrap it around the left side of her figure more convincingly.

Solid lines and otherwise I really love the pose.
                Downer IllustrationTumblrTwitterDeviantArtDracula The Unconquered

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilero View Post
                  You could use some bolder lines on Supergirl. Just in the black & white art the lines are kind of similar in weight. If you color it up, color holds on the buildings would push her forward.

Call me crazy, but her arms feel a bit long, or her legs a bit short.

I love this design. After all, she is wearing thigh boots - the official footwear of superheroing! (Captain Britain, Killraven - all the best heroes wear them)
                  Yeah, I was looking through all the google pics, and I liked this one the best. The belt version just looked tacky, and I agree, thigh highs are definitely the way to go.

Originally posted by Josem View Post
                  Looks cool man, the ankle bones look the other way arround, inside one seats higher then the outside one, i think.
                  You are totally correct. I thought with high heels, it might change, but nope. Thanks for the catch, Jose!

Originally posted by sdowner View Post
                  Cool work, man!!

A couple things- her neck looks weird, like it's either too thin, too long or not connecting in the right place.

Minor tangent between her left arm and her belt where it wraps around her left hip. Looks a little like it wraps around her arm too. :-)

Her skirt feels a little flat. I think you might need to cheat the bottom edge a little to wrap it around the left side of her figure more convincingly.

Solid lines and otherwise I really love the pose.
                  Thanks, Stephen! I did bring her head down a bit, and I decided to add the cast shadows to help sell the volume under the chin and around the skirt area. Tangent got lost in the cast shadow. Fixed the skirt, just made it simpler.

Appreciate the crits, everyone!

Last edited by Veritas71; 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM.
                  OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
                  My Blog
                  My DeviantART Page

Comment

Looks much better with the revisions

Comment

It looks cooler with shadows and other revisions.. Two small things from me is I think the screen left foot should be lower to be planted properly, and her face could be a bit more appealing.. But good work!

Comment

The shadows in the latest version help the figure pop from the BG but the BG could still stand being knocked back, lightened up and less detailed.

There's a disconnect between figure and BG. The figure displays a degree of verisimilitude while the BG is pure Toontown (this from someone who spent the first 24 years of his life becoming an animator so I don't use toon as a slam) You need more Bugs Bunny in the figure or less Bugs Bunny in the buildings.

Often, the more we define something, the less like that thing it becomes. With definitive statements, statements must be correct or an aura of falseness takes over. With suggestions, we can be vague or "off" and not only get away with it but, by making greater demands on the reader's imagination and making them fill-in-the-details, achieve a greater sense of believability.

Think thinner lines, fewer lines, broken lines... The building on our left; rather than 7 lines per shape (all 4 sides of a rectangle plus 3 for depth) 2 lines will do just fine to suggest the exact same shape. Less is more.

Watch your scale. Buildings that tall are not that skinny... The building on our right you've given the facade a width of 4 panes when it should be closer to 20.

Watch your structure. When stacking sections of buildings, each with a smaller footprint than the one below, make sure they line up.

PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Originally posted by humble-tomato View Post
                          ... I think the screen left foot should be lower to be planted properly...
                          You need to think in perspective and construction.

IF Kara's weight is thrown out over the left leg AND her right leg is angled out to the side, THEN the sole of her right boot cannot sit flat to the ground without unnatural effort and her heel, most likely, will not touch the ground at all.
                          PaulMartinSmith

Comment

I came in to say what Smitty said: the background is really distracting with how less realistic it looks than Supergirl herself. It looks like it's out of a colouring book.

Supergirl looks great, though!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X