Monstrous Brute Dishes Out a Near Smack Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monstrous Brute Dishes Out a Near Smack Down

Whenever I sit down to draw I’m challenged.

As I think through and navigate the obstacles that pop up, a lesson is always learned. That’s what allows you to level up in whatever skill you’re striving to harness.

In fact, those improvements can be seen in every new drawing I create. The next drawing will literally be better than the last, just in the act of creating it.

Sometimes I find myself almost trying to tone down those leaps in learning to keep some consistency from drawing to drawing. But consistency is never worth stunting your growth.

And I often look at the work of Marc Silvestri, a huge inspiration of mine, and how his style has transformed throughout the years from a constant effort to evolve. That helps me make peace with the fact that progression will constantly change the look of my style.

What was most challenging about this piece? Head on over to How to Draw Comics . NET and read all about it right here! - http://www.howtodrawcomics.net/singl...tro---Slide-27

You know how to load a page up with tons of super-detailed rendering, that's for sure. You need to work on line weights, though, because as it is, you have to really look to see the girl in the first panel. She blends in with the fist and the floor.

Also, I'll let it slide this one time, but please don't use the learning labs to link to other sites.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

Awesome work, Clay! I saw it up on Facebook, too. Line weights are a little problematic here. Check out some of Jonathan Rector's recent YouTube videos to see how he treats line weights. He essentially gives the art different outline weights, based on how close they are to the viewer, then goes in and touches things up a bit to keep the art from looking too mechanical.

Comment

Originally posted by Popninja View Post
        You know how to load a page up with tons of super-detailed rendering, that's for sure. You need to work on line weights, though, because as it is, you have to really look to see the girl in the first panel. She blends in with the fist and the floor.

Also, I'll let it slide this one time, but please don't use the learning labs to link to other sites.
        Thanks for the feedback man! Appreciate it. You’re spot on too. Getting the girl to stand out was a problem. I was hesitant on outlining her with heavier line weights initially, just because I wasn’t sure how thick I could make them before it stuck out too much. But – in saying that, I didn’t try it, so I’ll go ahead and see what happens. The difference in contrast is there to achieve that distinction somewhat, but it’s not doing the job as well as I’d hoped.

As a rule of thumb would you say that heavier line weights are usually the way to go in these situations?

In regards to the link – no problem. I know that this kind of thing can be abused and used in the wrong way. Without he rules and guidelines you've set up here it would be impossible to monitor. It feels like a waste in this context though. The only reason I mention that is because the external site link is to educational resources that would benefit more than a few of us here.

Originally posted by kevphil View Post
        Awesome work, Clay! I saw it up on Facebook, too. Line weights are a little problematic here. Check out some of Jonathan Rector's recent YouTube videos to see how he treats line weights. He essentially gives the art different outline weights, based on how close they are to the viewer, then goes in and touches things up a bit to keep the art from looking too mechanical.
        Thanks for passing that on Kev! It’s great to catch you here on PJ too! I’ll be sure to jump on it straight away. Jonathan has a lot of stellar advice on his channel. I should really be checking out his stuff more often.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X