Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smitty
    replied
    You continue to work outside in rather than inside out; All surface no structure.

Everything fits in a box. The human face fits a box approx 2x3. While physiognomy may be bunk science, it's great storytelling. Kal's face is based on "ideal" proportions.

Below, at left, if we accept your spacing between brow and nose as correct we can then project the box (blue) in which his face should fit. At middle we accept the length of his head as true and, again, project the box in which his face will fit. Note neither head fit's inside it's respective box.

Before drawing anything, start with the box in which your drawing must fit (top right). Divide the box accordingly and now features can be placed accurately and in proportion. For 3/4 view (lower right) start with a 3D box drawn in 3pt perspective. Divide accordingly and place features.

Leave a comment:

• spidey976
    replied
    Originally posted by bastian View Post
    Thanks Spidey, your model has more of a heroic look for sure. I printed it out and kept it b my desk.
    [IMG]image hosting sites[/IMG]
    If you look at the proportions on the heads I showed, and then look at your portrait you will notice that yours is just a hair wide and the jaw is just a little wide as well. The issue isn't that it is terribly off, but it is enough. Also, don't worry about rendering it until you have the proportions ironed out. Get the layout right and the rest will come. Maybe try to nail the portrait on some scratch paper. Honestly, Supes' portrait is one of the hardest to nail, but he is one of the most rewarding.

Leave a comment:

• humble-tomato
    replied
    I think you suffer from foreshortening just as I did for a long time. I suggest getting something like Figma archetype. Theses posable toys really helped me understand... Google up

Leave a comment:

• bastian
    replied
    Thanks Spidey, your model has more of a heroic look for sure. I printed it out and kept it b my desk.
    [IMG]image hosting sites[/IMG]
    Last edited by bastian; 09-30-2016, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• spidey976
    replied
    Alrighty Bastia. I am going to say this new head looks like a bit of a step back, and it suffers from the kind of square head issue your Superman crushing a middleman piece does. The issue is that the headshape doesn't meet the proportions of a hero really. More a villain or a henchmen. I will also say that the hair shape still doesn't wrap around the skull properly. Here are a couple of heroic shapes I have been working on, including a hairsculpt that I think shows how the hair should wrap around.

It just shows the shapes a little bit more.

Leave a comment:

• bastian
    replied
    My update on this...

[IMG]picture host[/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• bastian
    replied
    Thanks Veritas. I tried imageshack, but my 745kb image would not upload.

Thanks for the notes Smitty, I will keep the dynamic of the pose in mind more so when I draw him in flight again. It is who he is.

I would move his left arm down to fix his clavicle issue. Of course I thought of having his hand point forward, he does not do kung fu. I like trying new things.

When it comes to Superman, I understand people know him well and fans just want to view him one way. Which is why I do like drawing him.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty
    replied
    You're drawing from the outside in (all surface, no structure) You want to draw from the inside out. Learn basic construction and principles of locomotion.

Press your chin to your chest and you'll see it hits right at the hollow where the collar bones hit the breast bone. Your head is either growing out of the chest or he is using Mr Fantastic's stretching powers.

Kal is not a traffic cop or Iron Man using repulsers. His hand will follow the line of his arm.

Human locomotion sez: opposite limbs forward.

Break a lead

Leave a comment:

• Veritas71
    replied

Here is a quick run down on how to post images on PencilJack.

First, go to the image hosting site (DevArt, Photobucket, ImageShack, etc) and RIGHT CLICK on the image you want to post.

Next, select 'COPY IMAGE URL' or 'COPY IMAGE ADDRESS' and then return to PencilJack. Last, in the Quick Reply section, select INSERT IMAGE icon at the top (3rd from the right) and PASTE the URL into the box that pops up.

Done.

Leave a comment:

• bastian
    started a topic Superman pencil

Superman pencil

My latest..a pencil only of Superman. 2H on Strathmore.

https://goo.gl/photos/HSXgWmaJRduvonZf6

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X