Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder Woman

For my latest pencil drawing, I took a stab at Wonder Woman:

P.S.~ Sorry for once again failing to entirely crop off the top of my scanned image!
    Last edited by Northside Comics; 10-27-2016, 06:42 PM. Reason: Broken image link.

Very nice rendering! Really like the brassier area. The shield seems like it's rim would be occupying the same space as her arm. Also the running motion is a little wonky. Overall, really beautiful!
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Thank you, yes I know what you mean. I had some issues with the arm/shield angle thing and repaired it from what I originally had but had to go with how it is now due to not wanting to keep erasing and redoing the same spot in fear of really messing it up. Also, I used a reference of a woman's body running from that angle and did the best I could with it. It was kind of an aggressive swishy type run, like sprinting from a soily, unstable patch of ground. Basically imagine taking off at someone at the beach who just kicked sand at you. I don't doubt however that something is off with it. Practice makes perfect! Thank you for the words of constructive criticism and encouragement!

Comment

No prob! Keep posting!
        OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
        My Blog
        My DeviantART Page
        PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Northside Comics View Post
          I had some issues with the arm/shield angle thing ...
          For all your shield slingin' needs try:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...in-Perspective

Posts 14 & 17 on page 2 address your specific task (I think I've fixed all my broken links from the server crash. If not let me know)
          PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Thanks so much for the link. I will check this out when I get some free time.

Comment

Lovely rendering. I tryied with smaller limbs, i believe the shield might be too close to the body. Anyways, hope you dont mind me playing with it. Keep posting.
              Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
              LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
              http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by Josem View Post
                ...i believe the shield might be too close to the body.
                This comes from you and North drawing backwards. You've both started with the aphid at the tip of a pine needle on the outside of a tree at the top of the earth and worked your way down to the earth's core. You have to start with the earth's core (the part of the drawing that can't be seen) and build up and out. If you don't nail the invisible stuff, nothing you place on top will work.

I tried my best to fit an arm under that shield and it simply can't be done. You have to draw the arm first and build out. The light blue box in which the forearm fits is as close as I can get. Once we have this box, it's midline (the X axis) projects back to the VP and becomes the minor axis of our ellipse. The major axis (the Y axis) hits the minor at 90ยบ. Now that we have both axes we whip out our ellipse guide and, bingo! The rim of the shield is now in it's proper place.

But... wait. If the rim is "proper" why does it look so odd? Two reasons.

One-A shield is not a flat coin, it's surface is curved. The "elbow" side of the curve requires a larger angle than the "fist" side. If we place a smaller interior ellipse of similar angle, moving it's major (Y) axis back towards the elbow, we'll create the illusion of a dome. The farther back we push the major axis, the greater swell the dome will appear to have.

Two-Because we used the ellipse guide method over perspective. While an ellipse and a circle in perspective have identical shapes, their midlines fall in two different places. Because we see the perspective of the box we expect the major axis to fall on the midpoint of the box. Had we used the circle in a square method, it would push the (Y axis) midline back toward the elbow.

PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Haha cool! When I first registered on this site I noticed a couple examples of someone assisting someone else and drawing over the original work and I gotta say I'm thrilled to have someone do it for me. I appreciate any guidance!
                  Here are a couple things that may be worth noting for this drawing: I have been working on expanding my comic art and realized after completing an 8 page dialogue-free sequential art series (which I will post soon in Sequential Art) that no character featured used weapons. Sheesh! So this was an exercise for me in drawing someone with weapons. I definitely struggled with the shield area and feel a lot better about it for the future. Secondly, this is sort of a companion piece to a drawing I did of Batman a couple of years ago. Batman's costume is based on his earliest appearances and iI t is titled "The Batman". In this drawing, Wonder Woman is modeled after original appearances. More muscular, curly hair, longer flowy skirt. Here is an example:

Comment

This too because she actually has the skirt I was referring to:

Comment

This too because she actually has the skirt I was referring to:
                      [email protected] feet!
                      My Facebook

Instant Hell Murder Crew reprazent!

Comment

Haha yeah I obviously didn't reference those! I still love it though, I love to see how characters were originally drawn by their creators.

Comment

For my latest pencil drawing, I took a stab at Wonder Woman:

P.S.~ Sorry for once again failing to entirely crop off the top of my scanned image!

I love it! It looks amazing! They covered the shield, so I'll mention the lower half of her leg right leg. Burne Hogarth has a way of foreshortening the shin that just looks immensely powerful. I think that would add some kick to your physique since her upper body looks so dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
                            For all your shield slingin' needs try:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...in-Perspective

Posts 14 & 17 on page 2 address your specific task (I think I've fixed all my broken links from the server crash. If not let me know)
                            Sorry to pester you, Smitty, but some of those images are broken. And that's a thread I keep going back to, so... pester pester.

Comment

Thank you for the Hogarth suggestion. I haven't looked at that stuff in a while! I think factoring in the stripe on the boot may have thrown be off a bit there. Loving all the helpful suggestions on this site.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X