Sometime people need a lil D.P. in their life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometime people need a lil D.P. in their life

In honor of Ryan Reynolds and all he does as this character, I decided to give it a go. Still gotta practice, but trying to get better with more dynamic poses, anatomy, perspective...EVERYTHING basically lol. Let me know what you guys think.

My style? You could call it the art of drawing.......without drawing.

The sections of the limbs need overlap to help sell the foreshortening. Watch some videos on using the coil method, look at some reference if you can find similar angles and try to use the contours of the muscles, joints, straps, etc to sell the angles.
    The straps also are flattening it out. If you do a coil drawing of the quads at the angle that section of the leg is supposed to be at, you'll see a better representation of how the arcs on those should be presented for the look you're going for.
    I think his left leg should probably be down and to the left a bit more with a slightly less pronounced angle. At that angle it looks like his left hip is protruding from his left oblique. I'm sure at some point this has likely happened to DP but that's probably not the look you were going for.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Comment

Maybe this will help
      I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
      my sketchbook

Comment

I was just about to ask if you would Recommend Sycra. Think I remember seeing this video. Crazy thing is I actually did have his back leg in more, and i moved it because I thought it would look like he was off balance.

Comment

sycra is usually pretty good but I would take every one of his videos as suggestions and general guidelines. I mean.. a technique is a technique.. Coil drawing is coil drawing, hatching is hatching, etc. When it gets to stylistic specific or shortcut type techniques, that's all relative. So for something like coil technique or one point perspective or shading a ball.. yeah.. he's as good as any and he is usually easy to understand and follow.

It's okay for him to look off balance. When I studied animation, they constantly harped on center of gravity and balance and all of that.. In comics and illustrations, you sometimes want to push farther than you would if you were animating since:
          A: You don't have a keyframe following the drawing so you don't have to worry about how natural of an arc the motion creates
          B: You want to capture anticipation or follow through. In doing so, you want to push the pose to the bending point and build the drama.
          C: It has to be interesting and look impossible (in a good way). That's the key to heroic poses. I've previously been timid in my posing and it has almost constantly resulted in feedback that indicated as much.

Try thumbnailing with stick figures before going to the full sized drawing. Then after you get some poses that are interesting.. Push those poses (still in stick) and see how far they can be tweaked before looking ridiculous... then take them a hair further. Take that up to page size and coil in your volumes and proportions, then tighten it up.

Following a workflow like that for a few drawings will help you nail a lot of issues before you get to the late game and end up having to redo your polished lines and details and all that.

Disclaimer: This is a process that has helped me grow. It's not the way everyone works and doesn't work for everyone.. but I think anyone could benefit from giving it a shot

my deviantart
          my sketchbook

Comment

I'll check that out. The good thing about this is that it was done in manga studio, so all the lines can still be edited and played with a bit. Not gonna do that though lol. I'll play around with some other drawings i have in mind for that.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X