Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Sidious, Darth Tyranus, Darth Vader and Darth Maul

Sakura Pigma Micron 03 (0.35mm) on 9 in. X 12 in. Strathmore Bristol

Vader looks a bit on the short side! He's meant to be enormous!
    HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      Vader looks a bit on the short side! He's meant to be enormous!
      I don't think he meant this to be a literal representation of the relative height of these characters. I mean, Palpatine is by far the shortest of them. I'm assuming they were arranged this way for compositional reasons (makes sense, since Palpatine is the mastermind behind the other 3, so placing him behind but above the rest seems appropriate).

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander_77 View Post
        I don't think he meant this to be a literal representation of the relative height of these characters. I mean, Palpatine is by far the shortest of them. I'm assuming they were arranged this way for compositional reasons (makes sense, since Palpatine is the mastermind behind the other 3, so placing him behind but above the rest seems appropriate).
        No shit sherlock. It's still a piece pf art, and it send a message, literal, figurative, whatever.

The current message is 'Vader's a shortarse'.
        HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

No shit sherlock. It's still a piece pf art, and it send a message, literal, figurative, whatever.

The current message is 'Vader's a shortarse'.

The sarcasm really wasn't necessary here, was it?

As for the art itself, "Vader's a shortarse" is one interpretation I suppose, albeit a very literal one. Another interpretation is that Vader is in the "front and center" position because he's the most significant and visible symbol of the Sith's power. Palpatine is above and behind since he's the master manipulator of the others, but more of a background figure...the one pulling the strings. The other two are less significant pieces of the puzzle...more side characters than anything. Hence their position off to either side.

Comment

Sarcasm? Seemed pretty plain to me. But whatever, be wrong, I literally don't care. Also not sarcasm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
            HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

I believe Vader should be the second from top, or maybe even the in the top behind Palpatine. He reads short to me like this.
              Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
              LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
              http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Maybe something more like this...
                Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
                LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
                http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander_77 View Post
                  It's probably better not to try and mind-read what RealMarioGarcia's intention was with his drawing. It makes more sense to me to let Jim give his crit/comment and let RMG respond to it, if he feels the need to do so.

I have to agree with Jim here. If it's a group shot, Vader either took a knee for it, or he's too short.
                  Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

Josem's example works really well
                    See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
                    DeviantArt

Comment

Sarcasm? Seemed pretty plain to me. But whatever, be wrong, I literally don't care. Also not sarcasm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                      The phrase "no shit, Sherlock" is absolutely a sarcastic expression, yes. There's no need for snarkiness when expressing a difference of opinion here.

Comment

Originally posted by Popninja View Post
                        It's probably better not to try and mind-read what RealMarioGarcia's intention was with his drawing. It makes more sense to me to let Jim give his crit/comment and let RMG respond to it, if he feels the need to do so.

I have to agree with Jim here. If it's a group shot, Vader either took a knee for it, or he's too short.

Fair enough. Just pointing out that there's more than one way of reading it. Personally I don't see it as a literal "group shot" with all these characters standing next to each other. More of 4 portraits floating in space, in which case their placement in the original could be seen as symbolic to their place in the Star Wars lore. But I don't know if that's what RealMarioGarcia intended or not. I'm definitely curious to hear what he had in mind, so hopefully he replies.

Comment

When I first viewed this, I felt like it was a compositional choice, not a static group pic. The Emperor is the Dark Lord of the Sith. Tops or center spot to him. That being said, the true bad ass of all the movies I love and grew up with IS Darth Vader. Sticking him at the bottom feels wrong. The others should be smaller due to the really minor parts that they played in the overall story line.

If the helmet was a little bigger I could see a Space Balls reference here.
                          OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
                          My Blog
                          My DeviantART Page
                          PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

This is all really helpful criticism. I genuinely feel that I've learned something about the lack of importance I place on my plotting before putting pen to paper and, additionally, the commitment to that plot. Thank you all for that.

The problem here is that while, initially, I wanted to draw the Sith Lords from the Star Wars films; unfortunately, that's about all I knew about what I wanted to do. I wanted it to be heavy on the black and I wanted to have the 4 faces. I thought of the Queen II album cover but didn't want it to become a parody of that. I got that far in my thoughts and then I started drawing Darth Tyranus. I realized that I had drawn his neck and chest area (mainly because I wanted to include his chain) and had transitioned from a more abstract "faces on black" look to a more realistic, literal image. I considered making Vader his appropriate height (which I believe is 4 inches taller than Tyranus) but realized that there would be no room for Palpatine. I even considered completely omitting Sidious for the sake of it but ignored that idea for two reasons: (1) I really, really wanted to draw Palpatine and (2) Vader would be taller than Tyranus and Maul and seem like he was their leader. A version with Sidious on the bottom and Vader on top would present the same issue to me (although, looking at Josem's edit, I realize it would've been far less distracting than making Vader, as Jim put it, a "shortarse").

Anyway, it didn't start out as a literal representation and then became one but not entirely and... Well, I guess it's one big schizophrenic mess that could've been avoided had I planned better and stuck to the plan.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X