Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeanE
    replied
    Less than what you want and more than the client is willing to pay...

Basically I work it on "Can you get more per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds?" If that answer is yes, then go and flip the burgers

Currently I get $US120.00 for cover colouring work with Zenescope, and will charge $75 flatted and $85 unflatted for interior pages. I base everything else around that depending on complexity, time and deadlines. Since I have a tenured teaching job that pays $90k+ I can afford to be choosy and somewhat inflexible on those numbers.

Leave a comment:

• sirandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Pencilero View Post
    Jaimevalle check out this twitter feed.

They used to have a website with a regularly updated list of prices by artist, but I can no longer locate it.

It's an interesting idea.

I'd like to give it a shot, and maybe I will. I'm not making a profit attending cons as is.

How did you structure it?
    I have a friend who is a huge proponent of it and he sells books and everything like that. Basically I just put a sign up that said "pay what you want"

When people asked me what that meant I said, "it means you can pay what you want."

Some people did ask about what was the "regular" or "normal" or "what did other people pay" prices. LOL

I didn't end up giving anything away for free.

Leave a comment:

• jaimevalle
    replied
    awesome really helpful pencilero

Leave a comment:

• Pencilero
    replied
    Jaimevalle check out this twitter feed.

They used to have a website with a regularly updated list of prices by artist, but I can no longer locate it.

Originally posted by sirandal View Post
    Have you ever considered "pay what you want?" I did it at the last con I went to and made way more than what I was charging with a fixed price.
    It's an interesting idea.

I'd like to give it a shot, and maybe I will. I'm not making a profit attending cons as is.

How did you structure it?
    Last edited by Pencilero; 11-14-2015, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sirandal
    replied
    Have you ever considered "pay what you want?" I did it at the last con I went to and made way more than what I was charging with a fixed price.

Leave a comment:

• jaimevalle
    replied
    thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• rmharris
    replied
    I've read it's best to aim for an hourly rate you think you're currently worth as an artist, but quote it as a single price per image, dependent on how many layers of ink/colour/detail you do. This involves timing several of your drawings and finished pictures, to find out how long it actually takes to draw something. Definitely don't go under 8-10 bucks an hour! (Or whatever minimum wage is in your area.) A number of established, popular commission selling folk aim for the vicinity of $25/hour, since that gives leeway for their mistakes and redos. But you have to also take into account your own experience and skill level, and also the subject matter -- a lot of commission artists can churn out character sketches in a heartbeat, so they can choose to charge a little less for those without colour or backgrounds, or even ink. So like Beastie said, how much do you think you're worth? Do a Google image search for "art commission rates" and you'll get a good sampling of the internet/deviantart standard, just for starters.
    Last edited by rmharris; 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Beastie
    replied
    What do you think you should charge?

Leave a comment:

• jaimevalle
    replied
    hey guys iv been getting request for commissions ..i usually go by an hourly rate when it comes to my graphic design.. but as for my comic stuff im in the dark..i tried googling it but i get mixed answers . any help would be greatly appreciated

Leave a comment:

• jaimevalle
    started a topic how much are commissions these days?

how much are commissions these days?

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X