JEAN GREY (Claremont/Byrne inspired)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEAN GREY (Claremont/Byrne inspired)

I was inspired from reading the Claremont/Byrne days of Uncanny X-men, and wanted to do a quick drawing of Jean Grey/Phoenix during that period.

I am hoping for some guidance on Jean.

I'm happy with the proportions of the figure, but the color doesn't seem to do any justice. I was going for a cel-shading style, but ultimately feel like it flopped.

Perhaps also my line weights are playing it too "safe"..
    Last edited by rdatzko; 12-18-2016, 05:38 PM.

why is her hand missing. it would look better with the hand visible.
    "when there's no more room in hell...the dead will walk the earth."

my drawings
    my crazy music
    my facebook

Comment

@golgotha I had it tucked behind her.. You mean resting on her hip?

Comment

Yeah unless there is a contextual ( is that a word ? ) reason, it is not a good idea to hide extremities. it looks a) unnatural and 2) like your trying to avoid drawing the hand.

Comment

why would someone tuck their hand behind their butt? it makes no sense. is she hiding a gift?
          "when there's no more room in hell...the dead will walk the earth."

my drawings
          my crazy music
          my facebook

Comment

The BG looks kinda boring. Maybe spruce it up a little or remove it entirely?

Comment

Originally posted by golgotha View Post
              why would someone tuck their hand behind their butt? it makes no sense. is she hiding a gift?
              There are billions and billions of reasons to place an arm behind the back. However, I side with BeeCo. Without a storytelling reason it looks like an admission of inability on the artist. Missing hands and feet are one of the first things editors scout for.

Figure is too short below the waist. Perspective is screwed. The flame as a light source is directly contradicted by coloring in several areas. If there's a VP above, theres one below. Because she's below the horizon it's a down shot but, you're not looking down on her which means she's actually leaning backwards.
              PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Thank you for the tips! This is very helpful! I will continue to work on perspective

Comment

Because Jean Grey/Phoenix is one of my all time favorite characters, I'm feeling the urge to chime in here. I agree with everyone above regarding the mysterious missing right hand; it makes the figure look awkward and unfinished.

The face and the hair actually both look pretty good IMHO because I've seen more than a few professional pencillers who simply, for whatever reason, cannot render this character with the right hair/face combo, so a thumbs up there.

Her body is good for a starting point and looks like what a normally proportioned woman Jean's age would look like in a skintight green outfit. But you've gotta remember, this is the world of superheroines; henceforth normal proportions, by and large, are right out the window. Go back and look at pretty much any issue of X-MEN that Byrne and Austin did that featured Jean Grey/Phoenix and study the anatomy they gave her. Big, but not bodacious, boobs, a narrow waist and then really curvy hips. Granted, I've never seen a woman, super model or otherwise, built the way Byrne (or most other comics artists) drew Phoenix, but he really managed to drive home her femininity while keeping her figure one that said, in very big letters, POWER.

Her legs ARE a little short, but more importantly, her left leg in particular looks very funky from the knee down, almost as if she's turning it two different ways at the same time.

Finally the background. I agree with Always Drawing; it's a bit on the mundane side. I'm guessing it's supposed to be perhaps a wall in the Danger Room, but, and I gotta be honest with you here, it actually comes across as a wall of stalls in a ladies' restroom. Maybe if you added some doodads, gizmos and thingamajigs (Kirby was the king of all three; Byrne and Perez come in right behind him) to dress that wall up and add some different levels and shadowing, it would look more Danger Roomey and less restroomey.

Overall, I applaud you sharing your art with us and hope to see more from you in the future...
                  Last edited by jeffchris50; 10-29-2015, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I very much value each of these critiques, but this one most of all. I appreciate you pointing out the areas where I definitely could use some refining. Loved the bathroom stall comment! Lol I didn't see it until now, but it's totally true.

I'll be taking some time to work on my weaknesses, but mark my words.. I'll be back! :-)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X