• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miho

Pencils by Paolo Pantalena
    Inks by James Goodwin
    Colour by me

Hmmm... How to colour a picture that is, for all purposes, meant to be entirely in black and white as per the film?... And, just to rub it in, make it a character that dresses all in black, and then because the poor colourist hasn't suffered enough, let's make it at night!

Colour it as normal, and then desaturate the heck out of it!!

Btw for those who speak Japanese, I hope I got the bit above her blue belt correct. (The stuff on the bottom part is just gibberish though...)
    I colour stuff...

Hmmm. I got no sense of it being night time.

Can I ask why you chose not to make the sky darker?
    Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

Mate, that is the brightest night I've ever seen.
      dA | PJ Sketchblog

I want to be the man who can draw so many things, so well and in so many different ways.

Comment

Yeah, I understand the risk.. but not sure it payed off.
        My Deviant Art page
        My PUMMEL stats
        PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
        2 Time Heavyweight Champion
        Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

Because you simply can't see her against a darker background.
          I colour stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by SeanE View Post
            Rim lighting?

Great lighting for dark backgrounds.

Photography in the moonlight has some great ideas you can work with too.

Push yourself to make it happen. You've got a great big moon there, and you've got light sources from the buildings surrounding her. Plus she's on a rooftop, probably the edge, and there's going to be a bunch of light coming from the street below.

You can do this dark, with adequate lighting to make her pop out of the image.
            New and improved for 1996!
            Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Originally posted by SeanE View Post
              OK, well, you haven't made it look like night time then.

It just isn't working as it is.

Comment

There's nothing but moon in that background anyway, so of course it's super bright. That moon is about to hit the earth.
                Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

That's just a few block colours, gradients and some colour holds. Don't feel any sense of lighting or time of day.

Remember skin doesn't have to be pink all the time, certainly not at night. They look flesh coloured through context, but colour swatch them, and you'll see they're really not.

HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

Originally posted by Popninja View Post
                    There's nothing but moon in that background anyway, so of course it's super bright. That moon is about to hit the earth.
                    Yep. The fact that it breaks the upper border line means that it's closer to us than some of the buildings!

Not Sean's fault (as the colourist) - but an glaring annoyance nonetheless.

Comment

I'm no colorist, but maybe with some blues and purples would feel more like night?
                      Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
                      LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
                      http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Ok, while that paintover works to some extent it also proves my point to a degree. She's hard to see against the dark background.

Let's all put literal interpretation aside and think outside the box for a moment...

Here we have a picture that is very stylised in its layout. Yes the moon is unnaturally huge. The city is also very crowded and curved which isn't how cities are normally. Plus, this is a well known movie for which being black and white was one of it's key features. Finally, I have a mostly dressed in black character set in a night scene.

So what's it matter if I don't colour it true to life?...

In my mind I was trying to evoke the feel of the movie (black and white) while at the same time make sure you can actually see the girl and that she'd "pop" in the picture. So I did her in a desaturated colour and did the city as a stylised white. It can still be read as a night scene through the use of symbology (the moon) while being able to see the girl and associate it with the movie of Sin City.

That's why I chose to colour it the way I did. You're welcome to disagree all you like and offer a different POV. That's fine by me. But at the end of the day it's *my* colours on this picture and I did it the way I wanted to. Did it work? I think it does, though like I said you can have your own opinion.

You're all also welcome to colour it for yourselves and show me a better way if you like. Here's the link to the highres --> http://devgear.deviantart.com/art/Miho-564682760

Have at it, and show me what else can be done.

cheers
                        Sean
                        I colour stuff...

Comment

You post on Penciljack - you get feedback.

It's very simple.

Comment

Yep, that's fine
                            I colour stuff...

Comment

I get what you were going for... I just don't think it worked. That's fine. Things don't always play out as planned.

If this was for a project, I'd submit my idea, plus a standard fallback. Rim lighting for the win.
                              My Deviant Art page
                              My PUMMEL stats
                              PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
                              2 Time Heavyweight Champion
                              Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X