Martian Manhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martian Manhunter

So this is a piece I did a few months back just for fun. It's one of the first attempts I have ever made at drawing anything in space. I just really love this character and always like drawing him. Any who, would love any critiques you guys can give me. Thanks for your time and hope yall enjoy.

Cool piece, I really like the ink spatter stars and the Watchtower.

Manhunter's pose is another story. He looks like he's standing on something solid, rather than hovering in space, and he doesn't pop out from the rest of the composition. His foot touching the bottom of the panel, and the near-tangent with the planet and his leg really flatten and anchor him.

Another thing you want to watch out for is the ol' hidden arm. Having his back arm mostly obscured behind his body like that makes his pose look awkward. For a more dynamic pose, you should get his arms, especially his hands, away from his body, and think about the silhouette that your figure creates. If he were just a shadow, his form should be interesting and easy to read.

Conversely, for the pose you're going for here, his legs should be closer together, with less of a gap between his thighs and knees, and his feet facing downward in the same direction. For some great reference on this, I'd recommend looking at images of Magneto.
    Dino Nebitt
    LHW: 3W-1L-0KO
    SF: 1W-1L-1KO

Comment

I agree with everything Brandino says, and I also wanted to add some helpful advice.

I did a drawover to help illustrate my comments.

Right now, your main light source is not very well defined. There can be multiple light sources, but you should have one you call 'main'. This leads me to the shading on J'onn's body. You have black shadows on both sides of your arms, legs, head, and chest. It doesn't really help define his form. Plus, when lighting is used correctly, it can be very dramatic.

The first frame is just lineart (which takes a lot of what Brandino mentioned), without lighting.

The second frame shows a main light source and how it would 'hit' J'onn's body in red to help delineate the shadows formed from the light.

The 3rd frame removes the red and leaves you with the finished shadows.

The fourth frame shows a cape. The current cape doesn't read as a 'cape'. There are no folds, or fabric lines. I would also say, his loin cloth would be floating *ahem* as well. In this frame, don't forget to use the body to make the shadows more realistic.

I really hope this helps you in your future pieces.

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
      My Blog
      My DeviantART Page
      PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Wow, really great advice guys, thanks!

I uploaded this piece here because I felt strongly that something was really lacking from it. I knew it had something to do with him and I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'll definitely take what both of you said to heart and work on those issues in future projects. Heck, I might even redo this whole piece to see if I can improve on it.

Again, thanks for yalls time!

Comment

Originally posted by DinosaurAsylum View Post
          Wow, really great advice guys, thanks!

I uploaded this piece here because I felt strongly that something was really lacking from it. I knew it had something to do with him and I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'll definitely take what both of you said to heart and work on those issues in future projects. Heck, I might even redo this whole piece to see if I can improve on it.

Again, thanks for yalls time!
          That's the spirit! Can't wait to see your next one.
          Dino Nebitt
          LHW: 3W-1L-0KO
          SF: 1W-1L-1KO

Comment

Whatever problems the first drawing has, I find the feeling of it far more interesting and believable than the draw over. The original pose is contemplative, relaxed, weightless. The draw over, while better drawn, lit and recognizable (maybe Jon does wear a mask and dress these days, I wouldn't know) is schtick, stiff and reverses the originals feel for no apparent purpose

Who stands in that position? Other than soldiers at attention, no one. That's the pose of an embalmed corpse.

Why is every muscle in his body hyper flexed with clenched fists? There are emotions in comics other than rage and anger. He's left looking like a two year old that refuses to poop. "No! You can't make me. It's mine and you can't have it!"

Pick up your leg and check your foot. Does it point straight to the floor? No. Pointing it that way requires effort, holding it that way is uncomfortable and unnatural. Why such an affectation when no one is there to coo over his Martian powers of Super-Posing™? Unless you're in a diving/flying pose, do not point the toes, do not allow feet to be parallel. Stand at "attention" and go to "at-ease," check your feet. Their angle is nearly 90ยบ. Feet at an angle are natural, parallel feet are false.

I would argue the figure needs to be MORE relaxed and LESS straight and stiff. Keep the legs apart with feet going at different angles. Keep the half bent leg and apply that feel to the rest of the body. Look to swimmers in underwater photography and avoid the mortuary look. Get him away from the border and planet so we're not left wondering if you meant to have him standing on something but lacked the perspective skills to pull it off.

Veritas is spot on with his comments on lighting and drapery. The drawing is more solid but, all due respect, it's a stock pose that has no relation to what I perceive you're going for.
            PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X