• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My colors on Spiderman

Amazing Spiderman
    Penciller: Paulo Siqueira
    Inker: Rubén J. González
    Colors: Me

I would desaturate this a little. It's too bright right now.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Your light source is incredibly inconsistent. You have small hidden details highlighted while ignoring large surface planes that are directly facing your primary light source. You have soft edges where hard edges should be and hard where soft should be. How you choose to shade should describe the model and it's relative positioning to the light source. Also keep in mind that his body would cast shadows on parts of itself that are obscured from the light. You've added a LOT of clouds but you've chosen colors and brightness levels that do not indicate an overcast day. You have a building front covered in harsh flat shadows but the windows on those building fronts are perfectly lit as if they are emitting light. The values of the buildings in the background are the same as those in the foreground (except for the huge shadow on the foreground), the modeling on the smoke does not match the contours described by the inks. You've missed a chance to use a colorists best friend as a story device. You have a fire but there are no signs of it anywhere on these pages. In fact it looks like someone could've simply burned their dinner because all we see is smoke. Fire creates light. Light produces color. Color good!
      I already mentioned the muddiness in your other posting but it's there. The panel where Spidey is a tiny silo, I would have suggested a color hold for that one or if you were going with a dramatic fire lighting you could leave it as is and the reddish background would pop him off but instead he's lost in the rest of that. I would also suggest a color hold for the smoke and possibly even the webbing (I see that pretty often for spidey).

When you flat your colors, a trick I picked up from the Firchow Gnomon Workshop video is to use greys for your flatting so you can establish your values and depth instead of just slamming in whatever colors land in your color picker. You can then wand those and use Ctrl+U and colorize or do a color fill, or do your colors and allow the multiplied grey tone to shade your local colors.

Make sure if you're going to rim light things that you actually follow the contour of what you're rim lighting. His head in the first panel has an abrupt stop to the lighting.
      I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
      my sketchbook

Comment

@Veritas Thanks I can do that. @MLaw I could've done better on the smoke, and I was unsure of the best way to render the windows to get a glass effect. The way I picked is maybe a little inconsistent with the light source. I would have to take creative liberty to make a fire on this page as it doesn't have any drawn. The color holds are a good idea, perhaps coloring the inside of the windows orange.

Comment

Desaturated

Comment

Looks much better, Red.

Now if you go in and make the windows orange like you mentioned, they will pop better. You can also drop a little bit of highlights on Spidey to make him stand out in the last panel as well.
            OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
            My Blog
            My DeviantART Page
            PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

I will for sure

Comment

You can imply a lot without having to draw anything. The lighting alone would indicate a fire. If the building is burning from the inside as it appears to be, there would be a glow. Perhaps there is more fire behind the building.
                Look at the values on Spidey. That's a good indication of where he's receiving light from. If you're not familiar with values or color theory.. stop working on this right now and go watch the videos I told you about in my response to your PM.
                Also.. from personal experience. These early experiments like this.. just get some mileage under your belt and chock this up to part of learning. If you tweak and tweak and tweak on this page, you're still not going to magically get it to pro-coloring. You yourself will get there if you're persistent but don't try to get all the way there on this piece. It's really easy to get wrapped up in these trying to "fix" them. This early in your learning it's not the piece that needs to be fixed it's you. That's not meant as an insult it is just meant to say you need to finish more of these.. post them up, hear the feedback.. digest it.. adjust whatever you can.. but mostly OBSERVE. Then read or watch learning materials that deal with the subjects mentioned. Then do another page or pinup or whatever.. and repeat. Getting hung up and precious on pieces like this frustrated me and it wasn't really helping anything. I could see what people were talking about but trying to implement it without having an underlying understanding just builds disappointment and a sense of failure or perhaps helplessness. You should never have to feel like you're at the mercy of your art.
                Also.. study printed pages too! If you only study from the web you don't get the benefit of seeing how colors in ink are. Really study them. Get in there and compare a color wheel or pantone and figure out the values! (If you don't own and understand a color wheel go watch a video.. it's not as hard as it seems and it is extremely important). Visual Zen Advocacy and a ton of other places have youtube vids on this type of stuff.
                Lastly.. studies. Color studies, value studies, still life, anatomy from books, life drawing, gesture drawing.. All of these things.. hell even sculpting.. it all builds your understanding of form, function, light, etc.

For where you're at this is not a bad page but.. you will do better and I look forward to seeing it.
                I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
                my sketchbook

Comment

Here take a look at the actual colored page. Take notes (literally.. it'll help you organize your thoughts).
                  It's funny because I literally see almost everything I mentioned here. I'm not saying that to be a dick.. I want you to contemplate the thought process this colorist might have used. Learn to look at the page and see it as a canvas.
                  The background is a great example of how to show an evening sky without going muddy on it. They did a color hold on the smoke but they did it with a gradient to help imply fire. The light source coming from the burning building is being treated as a light source for everything.. but it's also part of the decision process for how to color the surrounding objects as well.

my deviantart
                  my sketchbook

Comment

Here's another example of how color can be used to establish mood and story-telling without having to alter the inks.

my deviantart
                    my sketchbook

Comment

@Mlaw Thanks a lot for the info both here and in the PM. You had a good point about not trying to systematically fix this particular picture, and honestly after seeing the real colored page I don't really feel like doing much more with it. Seeing it is like an answer key. I'll be sure to do more, perhaps not sequentials though. And I am checking out your helpful stuff link.

Comment

Try coloring some splash pages. Those are a great opportunity to focus on just form and mood.
                        David Yardin has some.. there are others of course. Just make sure you're crediting.
                        http://davidyardin.deviantart.com/gallery/

Jonathan Rector
                        http://jonathan-rector.deviantart.com/gallery/

Tim Townsend:
                        http://timtownsend.deviantart.com/gallery/

EDIT: Oh.. if you want to color anything I've done you're more than welcome but there are a ton of well-known pros out there to choose from.
                        Last edited by MLaw; 12-14-2014, 12:26 PM.

my deviantart
                        my sketchbook

Comment

Yardins pages are great! He's a one man army!

Comment

Hi MLaw, do you mind where the bigger size of the original colored image is?
                            I'd like to check it out as I read your pointers..

Comment

Humble, the one I posted was originally bigger.. that's weird.. I just did a google search of Spider-Man burning building.. that was one of the results.

my deviantart
                              my sketchbook

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X