Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inks on Jim Lee´s Superman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Smitty View Post
    Check out that Lopez image I sent you. Note the big, fat, juicy lines used around the ape's fist. These lines are not built up, they're single strokes made while bouncing the tip up and down. Compare to the fine lines of the ape's muzzle. Same tool (except for the chain outline, everything is a #5 brush.)
    That is some stunning inking. I love how much of the pencils you can see, and how rough and different they look compared to the slick as hell inks. Total inking masterclass.
    HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jim View Post
      That is some stunning inking. I love how much of the pencils you can see, and how rough and different they look compared to the slick as hell inks. Total inking masterclass.
      Thanks. You can see Lopez's original here.

      Note changes, for good or bad, in bringing Hawkman closer to my Kubert ideal. The heavy blacks in the legs, the cowl and it's wings. See also the ape's open hand. I'll stand by my removal of extra knuckles but I completely botched the brutish, gnarly look and ended up far too human. I've followed Lopez idea of fine lines in the cliff shadows but didn't actually follow any of his lines.

      As an inker, you're the guy they called to save the day (not that Lee or Lopez need me to save them from anything...) Bring your good stuff. The stuff only you can bring. That's why they called you.
      PaulMartinSmith

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Smitty View Post
        Thanks. You can see Lopez's original here.

        Note changes, for good or bad, in bringing Hawkman closer to my Kubert ideal. The heavy blacks in the legs, the cowl and it's wings. See also the ape's open hand. I'll stand by my removal of extra knuckles but I completely botched the brutish, gnarly look and ended up far too human. I've followed Lopez idea of fine lines in the cliff shadows but didn't actually follow any of his lines.

        As an inker, you're the guy they called to save the day (not that Lee or Lopez need me to save them from anything...) Bring your good stuff. The stuff only you can bring. That's why they called you.
        There aren't enough good inking books out there. Do one. Seriously. You should.
        HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

        Comment


        • #19
          Hi Smitty. Thanks for the advices... again. And, as Jim said, do a book my friend. We really need it.

          Comment


          • #20
            First, I'll echo Jim's comment about the Hawkman piece; really good stuff.

            Second, Martin, here's a pretty good book on inking you might want to give a look:

            http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Comic-.../dp/1593074050

            There are two editions, each have blue-line samples on bristol board by different pencilers that you can ink. The second edition is greatly expanded and has more of these samples.
            http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
            http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #21
              I have that book, I inked those samples. The Buscema was a hard one. I think I'm going to buy the second edition. Thanks.

              Comment


              • #22
                Do you have a lightbox, Martinho?
                http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
                http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

                Comment


                • #23
                  No, I don't.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Definitely snag one if you can, Martinho, they're useful for a number of different things, including---inking!!! If you're feeling industrious, you can build one (I'm sure there are likely instructions on how to do just that somewhere in this forum) or you can pick a good one up at your local art supply shop, or, if you want one on the cheap (like me!) you can pick up a Crayola Tracing Pad at Walmart for about $20. The only drawback to that one is you're kind of limited to 8.5 x 11 pieces, but it's better than nothing!
                    Last edited by jeffchris50; 06-11-2014, 09:29 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Good advice, Jeff. Thanks!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Helob View Post
                        First, I'll echo Jim's comment about the Hawkman piece; really good stuff.

                        Second, Martin, here's a pretty good book on inking you might want to give a look:

                        http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Comic-.../dp/1593074050

                        There are two editions, each have blue-line samples on bristol board by different pencilers that you can ink. The second edition is greatly expanded and has more of these samples.
                        Man, that book looks killer, Helob! Thanks for the heads-up about it! Going to order a pair of them myself just so I can get some practice time in!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          You're welcome, jeff! Yeah, it's a good book, though not much is said in it about inking with a crowquill.

                          I just realized the first edition only has one sample by Steve Rude; the second edition has 7 additional samples by different artists.
                          http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
                          http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Martinho Abreu View Post
                            No, I don't.
                            Sure you do. It's called a window. Work inside during the day, outside at night.

                            Another super-el-cheapo method is a sheet of translucent plastic (just like the lightboxes from the store use.) Use it like a lap board. First shot is the sheet propped up on my table with a 20watt CFL behind it. Second is a closeup.



                            PaulMartinSmith

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Smitty View Post
                              Sure you do. It's called a window. Work inside during the day, outside at night.

                              Another super-el-cheapo method is a sheet of translucent plastic (just like the lightboxes from the store use.) Use it like a lap board. First shot is the sheet propped up on my table with a 20watt CFL behind it. Second is a closeup.



                              Pretty ingenious ideas, good sir, and definitely inexpensive! Plus, it's cool to get a little behind the scenes peek at your creative processes!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I'm not so keen on the working on glass given InkThinker's horror stories.

                                However I have done the perspex sheet thing myself.

                                I purchased a lightbox made by fellow PJ'er Doomsmith (been meaning to do a review of that!)

                                The final cheapo idea though - glass coffee table / dining table. you can throw a lamp underneath and boom you're in business.
                                dA | PJ Sketchblog

                                I want to be the man who can draw so many things, so well and in so many different ways.

                                Comment

                                Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X