Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butchered Book Covers

Prepare for a fun story, guys!
    So a guy contacted me to illustrate two book covers for him. I did one for him in the past and he's kind of a friend of a friend so I thought I'd do them for a fair price..
    Here they are:

He already sold quite a few copies of the first book with a different cover art and because he liked my cover for the second book so much, he wanted me to do a new cover for the first one, so I did the one with the Orcas..
    He then found a new publisher who didn't like the covers.
    I'm aware that my illustrations could have been better and aren't like book covers you would find on bookshelves in a bookstore but what they did to my illustrations is ridiculous...
    First I was really angry when I saw what they did to them but now I just find it funny...
    They want to put my name in the books.. I think I'll have to prevent that somehow
    Have a laugh:

EDIT: that font.... I have no words...
    Last edited by Bozzilla; 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM.
    my tumblr

facebook

That font! Woo how will you compete with that FONT!? It's top notch there! Lol I'm kinda find of the shark work. I could see some improvements but hey that's everyone lol I like how you do the detail. Something about the style. Now if you were only as good as that font!
    Light-Heavy Weight
    Pummel- W:2/L:1/D:0
    SF-W:0/L:1/D:0
    http://demonplague.deviantart.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/SINFINID
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...64575026977727

Comment

I take it your friend is not THE Paul Rudd or hopefully he'd've had a bit more sway with the publishers to let them keep your original typeface and layout. Coming from a graphic design background, I can only say that evidently the publishers gave your artwork to some first-year, greenhorn design major who doesn't really know s**t from shinola and thinks that warping either Arial or Helvetica in Illustrator (maybe) equals cool. I feel your pain on this, bro. The two other designers and I at my place of employment are always being forced to water down our cool design work to appease the more pedestrian tastes of the clients and even the owner of the company (who still thinks that Publisher is cool)...

Comment

In terms of design, covers, and whatnot your versions are way better. But looking at how they mangled it, I think there is a valid critique underlying their changes.

Everything in your version is within a relatively narrow range of values. If you imagine it on a shelf with a ton of other brightly colored books, its going to recede within the overall visual noise. If Paul Rudd's name is going to draw a buyer's attention, it SHOULD stand out. The title as well. If someone has trouble reading or spotting it from a distance they are much less likely to purchase it. You could easily fix this in photoshop just by playing with the levels.
        sketchbook thread

Comment

Thanks guys :-D

battlewraith: Valid point! They could have asked for the PSD's and do it themselves, or take the title and name out and put in their own shitty font but they didn't even contact me. Instead they just went with chopping up the jpg's...
          my tumblr

facebook

Comment

While I really love your illustrations, and fully agree that their type treatment, and addition of the water texture is heinous and looks terrible, I can't say I'm a massive fan of your initial typography either.
            HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

Originally posted by Bozzilla View Post
              They want to put my name in the books.. I think I'll have to prevent that somehow
              Illustrator and designer are two completely separate functions. Assuming you like your work and have no shame in being associated with the story, take the credit. Now you have distinct, easily found, printed, incontrovertible proof that the logo is NOT YOURS!!! How much is that worth?
              PaulMartinSmith

Comment

That hurts!! I offer my sincerest condolences!
                "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
                |LHW Bottomfeeder|
                PJ Sketchblog
                petethacreepofficial

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X