30 minute sketch covers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 minute sketch covers.

Free Comic Book Day is coming up, and chances are I'll be sketching for charity at my local comic shop again. Last year was my first time doing sketches, and it was a learning experience. What tools to use, what tools to eliminate to expedite the process. What to draw, what not to draw.

Last year I was there until 4AM sketching to raise money for the Hero Initiative. I want to avoid spending that much time this year, just to be courteous to my shop owner and staff. They're great people, but I was the last idiot left sketching when most artists tapped out around 2AM.

So this year I've decided to stick to busts, and I'm using a Boxing Timer app for Android set to ten minute intervals. Trying to get the rough pencils in under ten minutes (check for symmetry, and costume detail) then spend the remaining 20 minute embellishing with Sharpie fine point and normal markers.

I resorted to Sharpie last year because of the terrible paper on a lot of the Marvel sketch variants, which was akin to low grade wax paper. No "good" tools (stuff I prefer to use) play nice with them. Fortunately Marvel and DC have stepped up their sketch cover paper game, so I can use nicer pens this year.

Anyhow, here's the first two passes at 30 minute busts using said Sharpies, a Sharpie Magnum for large black areas, and a white out pen. I noodled on both of these a bit longer than 30 minutes. I think I spent 5 more minutes on Bane, because I forgot this is the decent paper stock so I could use a Kaimei brush pen. Ultron got about an additional minute to spot blacks.

I'm going to keep hacking away at this format until I get better results in 30 minutes, or less.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Those are damn good results for 30 minutes. Very cool movie Bane.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

Yeah very nice for 30 minutes!
      sketchbook thread

Comment

I spoke to a professional inker about sharpies and he told me not to use them because they turn yellow after about a decade. So whoever gets your art is gonna be pissed when his drawing turns yellow

Comment

Originally posted by Deth View Post
          I spoke to a professional inker about sharpies and he told me not to use them because they turn yellow after about a decade. So whoever gets your art is gonna be pissed when his drawing turns yellow
          I've also talked to an inker or two...the Comic Thinking...anything goes...what ever suite's your style....I do see sticking to the traditional ink ( did it for years ) but Brush pens..and art ink pens make things way handy and low maintenance.
          I believe these are quick study's.." And Well Done " Maybe the yellowing will make it be worth more...
          Again..Well Done!
          Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Got the all clear to do sketches on both days. Looking forward to the hand cramps. It's always fun to think on your feet when somebody requests a character you're not familiar with.

Originally posted by Deth View Post
            They can be pissed at Marvel for using terrible paper stock on their early sketch covers. I would absolutely use better tools (Pentel Pocket brush pen, Copic markers) if the end result wasn't terrible on that paper stock. It's like low grade wax paper.

However if somebody brings me the more recent Marvel/DC sketch covers (they're closer to bristol board and work well with multiple mediums) I'll gladly use the better tools in my portable art kit.

You absolutely don't have to take my word for it, you can take Leinil Yu's instead.

Comment

Those are both pretty cool, but I can never look at the Bane movie version without his lame ass voice popping in my head....so thanks for that.
              www.keithdustin.com

Ron Burgandy is down! and it is Baddd!

The worm has turned and it's packing an uzi!

Comment

Originally posted by dxdragon View Post
                Those are both pretty cool, but I can never look at the Bane movie version without his lame ass voice popping in my head....so thanks for that.
                Haha yeah. I've never been a fan of Bane in the comics, and I don't care for his movie look; but boy - those movies. . . it's like Nolan was trying to correct for the ridiculous Batman black metal voice, so he went in the complete opposite direction with Bane. He sounds like what a Pringles can might sound like if it could speak.

Last edited by Pencilero; 04-01-2014, 01:04 AM. Reason: Needed to find the right Bane video. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilero View Post
                  He sounds like what a Pringles can might sound like if it could speak.
                  LOL.

Nice work, btw.
                  http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
                  http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X