The Undead Surfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Undead Surfer

My Pummel entry for this month with a mummy in a classic surfer dude pose with his board.
    Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute Book is free to download.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

I feel like the lighter contours around the rocks flatten them out too much. And the brush for the white parts of the wave I'm not feeling too much, I think it's a little too heavy-handed and almost too "uniform." if they were thinner in spots, or if you reduced the amount of splotches and used more of the bg color (like the top left,) it would help with that issue.

The surfer guy is fine and his rendering looks good, and the skulls on the wave is a nice idea pulled off pretty well.

Comment

As a mummy, I and see some sweet Egyptian symbols all over that board.
      OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
      My Blog
      My DeviantART Page
      PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Thanks Keith and Veritas71.

Comment

Yeah this piece had me thinking...

I had to give it to Jim for several reasons, most of them have been touched by keith already.
          The skulls are a great idea, but the white sprinkles could be executed more dynamicly and the plain grey sky is a missed opportunity to create some color contrast and make the mummy really pop off the background imo.
          Right now the mummy stands out because its rendered much more carefully than the rest.
          The rimlight is also kinda odd, because usually the wave would create a shadow, and without a clear light source the rimlight's much too hard for my eye.
          All in all, it looks like one or two more hours of careful touch-ups could push this piece over the edge.
          "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
          |LHW Bottomfeeder|
          PJ Sketchblog
          petethacreepofficial

Comment

Thanks Pete Tha Creep.

He's in front of the wave, so it would not cast a shadow on him.

Comment

Interesting idea, though, given Pete's critique and photo ref, I wonder if it wouldn't be a better image if you drew the mummy actually surfing.
              http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
              http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Helob View Post
                Interesting idea, though, given Pete's critique and photo ref, I wonder if it wouldn't be a better image if you drew the mummy actually surfing.

Standing with the board and surfing are both iconic surfing images. Neither is better than the other.

I didn't choose surfing as I would have had to make the figure smaller in order to include the full wave. And as Pete points out the surfer would be in the shadow of the wave.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X