Pummel: Duham.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    jpeg compression has a really negligible effect on colours. Most people wouldn't notice it. I'd put big money on it being the move from a dark surrounding (in photoshop) to a web page.
    erm, while I agree that the problem for teratophile here is most likely the black working environment, this statement is not true at all.
    The colors can get raped by heavy compression as it is used by pic-hosters like photobucket. I've had exactly this issue with my batman pummel piece in december and had to use another host instead of photobucket, and it looks a thousand times better. Period!!!!
    It differs for different colors, so one piece can look similar, but another might not. It's only natural, compression means loss of information.

Jpeg onPhotobucket:

Png on imgbox:
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

Comment

Off topic, sorry. I totally agree about photobucket. I'll post sketches from photobucket, but all the pummel pieces come from DevArt. It looks so much BETTER.
      OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
      My Blog
      My DeviantART Page
      PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

(With apologies to Teratophile)

Sorry, of course heavy jpeg compression can affect a picture/colours -- I don't use photobucket and didn't realise it added extra compression to an image. I just meant that a jpeg with minimal compression is almost impossible to distinguish from the same image with zero compression.
        HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

It's a very good piece, Teratophile. I do like it, but I liked your preliminary rough artwork more because you had more energy in the drawing at that stage. Along the way to the finish, some of the life and energy got lost. Sometimes little changes here and there can make all the difference. Your end product lacks some of the impact that your original sketch had going for it. I think I know why this happened. All those bits of armor on the body takes away a lot of the figures natural flow, diminishing the energy and power in the figure itself. The flow is important, so you need to find a way to keep as much of that as you can in the final drawing. Your digital coloring is great here--your coloring is always great-- but both figures need a little more spontaneity. A little more life and zest. Know what I mean?

If it seems that I'm going out of my way to razz you about this particular drawing, I am. You better believe I am. You're one of my favorite artists on PJ, and I want you to succeed. That means I have to pick on you. It's just my nature. Seriously speaking, you've got the goods, and I want you to live up to your abilities. Do it! I'm going to have to demand that you do that. Pummel smummel. You owe it to yourself to push the envelope more. I recommend that you work on getting more energy in your line work, and I suggest that you follow your own initial instincts a little more. I think you were on 100% on track in your first sketch. It was right on the money. Somehow this piece lost some life in the final, so compare the sketch and the finished version to see where things deviated.

Find your courage. Use your heart. Do it for the children, if not for humanity as a whole. The world is counting on you. DO. NOT. FAIL.
          Last edited by Bruce Lee; 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM.
          http://www.lostonwallace.com
          http://lostonwallace.deviantart.com

I HAVE A NEW WEBSITE NOW!! FINALLY!! SHOW ME SOME LOVE, & CHECK IT OUT:
          http://www.lostonwallace.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Lee View Post
            It's a very good piece, Teratophile. I do like it, but I liked your preliminary rough artwork more because you had more energy in the drawing at that stage. Along the way to the finish, some of the life and energy got lost. Sometimes little changes here and there can make all the difference. Your end product lacks some of the impact that your original sketch had going for it. I think I know why this happened. All those bits of armor on the body takes away a lot of the figures natural flow, diminishing the energy and power in the figure itself. Your digital coloring is great here--your coloring is always great-- but the drawing just needs a little more spontaneity. A little more life. Know what I mean?

If it seems that I'm going out of my way to razz you about this particular drawing, I am. You better believe I am. You're one of my favorite artists on PJ, and I want you to succeed. That means I have to pick on you. It's just my nature. Seriously speaking, you've got the goods, and I want you to live up to your abilities. Do it! I'm going to have to demand that you do that. Pummel smummel. You owe it to yourself to push the envelope more. I recommend that you work on getting more energy in your line work, and I suggest that you follow your own initial instincts a little more. I think you were on 100% on track in your first sketch. It was right on the money. Somehow this piece lost some life in the final, so compare the sketch and the finished version to see where things deviated.

Find your courage. Use your heart. Do it for the children, if not for humanity as a whole. The world is counting on you. DO. NOT. FAIL.

Ditto

musthavetencharacters
            My Deviant Page

Comment

Loston - You know while working on this I mentioned to keith that I sensed the image was loosing all the energy of the sketch. He suggested doing an overlay to figure out where I went wrong. Doing that I spotted a lot of the issues, but at that point I had a choice, to try go backwards with the line art or keep going. I kept going because I feared that I wouldn't have enough time in the day to finish.

Truthfully, I love that you go out of your way to Razz. Its the stuff you and a few others say that makes me want to do better.
              Pummel: Wins: 35|Losses: 9|Knockouts: 26|Months Champion:7

https://www.instagram.com/teratophile.art/

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Tha Creep View Post
                erm, while I agree that the problem for teratophile here is most likely the black working environment, this statement is not true at all.
                The colors can get raped by heavy compression as it is used by pic-hosters like photobucket. I've had exactly this issue with my batman pummel piece in december and had to use another host instead of photobucket, and it looks a thousand times better. Period!!!!
                It differs for different colors, so one piece can look similar, but another might not. It's only natural, compression means loss of information.

Jpeg onPhotobucket:

Png on imgbox:
                That's crazy! Do PNG files get affected the same way on Photobucket though?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Lee View Post
                  It's a very good piece, Teratophile. I do like it, but I liked your preliminary rough artwork more because you had more energy in the drawing at that stage. Along the way to the finish, some of the life and energy got lost. Sometimes little changes here and there can make all the difference. Your end product lacks some of the impact that your original sketch had going for it. I think I know why this happened. All those bits of armor on the body takes away a lot of the figures natural flow, diminishing the energy and power in the figure itself. The flow is important, so you need to find a way to keep as much of that as you can in the final drawing. Your digital coloring is great here--your coloring is always great-- but both figures need a little more spontaneity. A little more life and zest. Know what I mean?

Can you post the sketch Tera? I want to see what Loston is talking about.

Comment

Heres the one I had saved.

Pummel: Wins: 35|Losses: 9|Knockouts: 26|Months Champion:7

https://www.instagram.com/teratophile.art/

Comment

You absolutely lost motion when working on the final. There's a few things that really show that:

1) the creature's body language. In the original, his torso is pretty significantly twisted to the left. The arm is still f'd in the sketch, but the twist helps a bit and adds a lot dynamics. Plus it looks like he's winding up the swing. The twist also makes it look like he's swiping across with that right claw, whereas in the final, there's a bit of ambiguity as to whether or not he's actually making contact. He's also rearing back more on his hind legs, stretching out the body, making him look more aggressive. Pretty sure that as a result, he's also looking down more at the robot.

2) I also think there's some problems with Dunham's body language. He looks a bit like he's reclining in the final. Partly, that's the overlap between his arm and the creature's tail. That's not there in the rough. Also, the legs are super rough in the sketch, which means you probably hadn't totally settled on the pose yet (I know what that's like). In the end, his lower torso sort of disappeared, and his right leg is too obscured to really sell the fall.

Anyway, not trying to pick it apart, just trying to pinpoint some things that jumped out at me and it sounded like you were looking for answers. Feel free to put me in my place. It's a strong piece, it's dynamic, and I freaking love that creature. I always lose energy when finishing an image and it bugs the hell out of me. Part of it is translating those rough lines to clean ones. Another part might be your colors (which I think are fantastic). Maybe experiment with some looser coloring or rougher brush textures?
                      Artblog!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X