Pummel: Duham.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pummel: Duham.

I'm not feeling the creatures back arm and placement of it's head. Something off about the color. I am generally discontent with the stuff I've been creating purely in photoshop...so I'm thinking the coloring process needs to change.

Anyway,This was fun to do despite my problems with it.

Oh Dunham is the robot.

Pummel: Wins: 35|Losses: 9|Knockouts: 26|Months Champion:7

https://www.instagram.com/teratophile.art/

Actually the thing that stands out to me isn't the stuff you mentioned, it's Dunham the robot. I feel like you could have pushed the depth more with him, pushed him more into the foreground. What don't you like about the colors?
    HW / 37-6 / 18 KOs

PUMMEL Record

My Sketchbook

Deviant Art

Comment

I really can't place my finger on it. It's not just the colors. it's the line work too. It's creating pictures on PS period. Something feels off. When I'm working on it in PS, things seem nice. The values...I try to push them to get depth. The lines are not that pronounced. In PS things are pretty much how I want.

Then as soon as I post, it seems like all the value has been sucked out, things seem flatter and more cartoony then when I was working in PS.

Comment

Well now that is strange. What background color do you use in PS? Maybe it's creating a different contrast visually than when you see it here surrounded by white. You're working in RGB right? Also, what if you download your posted pic and open that in PS, does it look better again?
        HW / 37-6 / 18 KOs

PUMMEL Record

My Sketchbook

Deviant Art

Comment

I have to try it out...i'll try at when I'm at home.

This is the background color I was using.

Comment

Oh i just meant the background color OF Photoshop, like if it's really dark or really light, it can affect how you perceive your image.
            HW / 37-6 / 18 KOs

PUMMEL Record

My Sketchbook

Deviant Art

Comment

derp. Black.

Comment

Well then it makes sense to me that you'd perceive a greater range of values in PS against that black b/g, and then have some of them washed out by the brightness of the internetz.
                HW / 37-6 / 18 KOs

PUMMEL Record

My Sketchbook

Deviant Art

Comment

You are the doctor. That's probably it.

Comment

This is why I went to medical school.
                    HW / 37-6 / 18 KOs

PUMMEL Record

My Sketchbook

Deviant Art

Comment

The robot is your Pummel avatar???????????????????

LoL.

I wanted to suggest, that the compression to jpeg definitely takes away from colors, especially gradients, so that's another possible source of your probs.

I've seen the bit about the back arm too, but it's something that you can let slide easily, since there are a lot of possible postures in real life, that look just impossible or wrong, but simply aren't. If anything I would change the torso and shoulder, giving a little more twist, the position of the arm is fine, gives just the right dynamics. All in all I think it's one of your better pieces, and definitely worthy of UST championship! Glad you didn't slack out, as you announced
                      "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
                      |LHW Bottomfeeder|
                      PJ Sketchblog
                      petethacreepofficial

Comment

That's why I try not to use gradients too much anymore. Thanks Pete.

The Robot is NOT my pummel avatar. If I have time for Ouch, the character I use there will be. lol

The initial sketch for this in my blog...it's a little different. There's a little more motion IMO. The motion got sucked out of the piece more I worked on it.

Comment

For the colors… darkening the lower sky/mountains and then upping the light splash from the blast would increase the drama, I think. Really pump the light in-between the two characters. I interoperated that as a pretty lethal blow, though. That might be overkill if it's merely a flesh wound!

I like the palette!

Comment

Like Pete said. I was going to suggest maybe saving it as a PNG file...

?

Comment

jpeg compression has a really negligible effect on colours. Most people wouldn't notice it. I'd put big money on it being the move from a dark surrounding (in photoshop) to a web page.
                              HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X