Clear All
  • SeanE
    I colour stuff
    • Feb 2003

Thor

Pencils by Oliver Coipel
    Inks by - Mark Morales

Colour scheme based on the original by Laura Martin

This has been sitting flatted on my HDD for about 4 years now, and it's been a while since I did a Thor picture... so here it is!

I tried out some cloud/storm backgrounds but frankly they all just looked artificial, so I nuked everything I'd done with the radial zoom filter and laid it over a saturated blue gradient and ... ta-dahh!

cheers
    Sean
    Last edited by SeanE; 09-16-2013, 12:13 AM.
    I colour stuff...
  • BringerOfStorms
    4th Level Ranger
    [SUPPORTER]
    • Oct 2006

Works for me. Only minor addition might have been some light shining from behind him with so glow/blur effect around his shoulders.

Great as is though.

~BoS
    PUMMEL LHW: 16 wins | 13 losses | 1 tie | 12 ko's | 0 no shows

DA

Comment

• Jim
      Damn good coffee... and hot!
      • Mar 2013

That background came out really interesting, you have some PS skills there dude.
      HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

• jeffchris50
        • Jul 2013

Man, that's a beaut of a coloring job, Sean! I like how you even managed to get highlights/lowlights into his cape---really makes it pop! The skin tones on his face are perfect and the details you put into his helmet and his chest disks via color are outstanding! I really can't find anything you'd need to change on this, IMHO...

Comment

• zteulp
          • Mar 2011

Pretty nice copy / alter of someone else's work.

Comment

• mansloth
            • Oct 2008

I have seen enough of this guys work to believe that the work presented is wholly his own.
            There is not much worse than to accuse an artist of stealing or coping, so please back up your accusation with proof before laying out such a grievous statement.

Excellent job on the colouring.

Originally posted by zteulp View Post
            Pretty nice copy / alter of someone else's work.
            my Galleries

http://rcarey300.tumblr.com/

http://theartofmansloth.blogspot.com/

http://mansloth.deviantart.com/

http://mansloth.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

• Jim
              Damn good coffee... and hot!
              • Mar 2013

Quite clearly not the same color job, don't be so rude!

HW W1/L2/KO0Behance

Comment

• zteulp
                • Mar 2011

@mansloth - @jim

Yeah - "Clearly" not the same color job. Don't be so naive.

Kind of funny how it looks "almost" exactly the same with some "tweaks"

He was banned from another comic site for copying colors, modifying and then claiming as his?

Just wondering?

Not rude - just factual.

Comment

• battlewraith
                  • May 2013

It doesn't look "almost" exactly the same.
                  Certain things are similar because it's the same character. And the choice to have a radial blur effect is there in Sean's image as well. So perhaps you could say that choice is derivative of the first image.

Other than that, the tones are not the same. The specular highlight on the armor are not the same. There are directional white rim highlights on Thor's cloak and arm in Sean's version. The other has a halo around most of the body. Anyone actually paying attention can see that there were a lot of different choices made. That is a factual observation.

In my book, if you are going to call someone out for theft you damn well better make your case. I don't see that you have. So yes, you are rude and slanderous. This in light of the fact that you've got 5 posts on this site since 2011 and one of them is to discredit someone.
                  sketchbook thread

Comment

• MLaw
                    The Gozerian
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by zteulp View Post
                    @mansloth - @jim

Yeah - "Clearly" not the same color job. Don't be so naive.

Kind of funny how it looks "almost" exactly the same with some "tweaks"

He was banned from another comic site for copying colors, modifying and then claiming as his?

Just wondering?

Not rude - just factual.
                    WTF dude.. he doesn't have color holds or a halo.. his "streaks" aren't the same at all, his blues are lighting the cape from beneath instead of above, his metallics are way better, and in general his colors aren't as over-saturated.
                    EDIT: more difference - sean's cloth is weaker than the original (sorry man you've got some weird folds that seem strange), the lighting on the cape is way different, the way the armor on the arms is done is COMPLETELY different (legs too).. the original highlighted the squares except for the edges and cut in super-bright grads while sean only hit the edges with highlights, sean's Mjolnir isn't blown out with ugly glows but it's a little more flat, the chest on the original is a softer grad.
                    Just because they share similarities in color, that doesn't mean it's exactly the same. It sounds like you need to develop your critical eye and spend more time examining what's actually in front of you instead of spouting nonsense.
                    Last edited by MLaw; 09-15-2013, 10:36 PM.
                    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
                    my sketchbook

Comment

• zteulp
                      • Mar 2011

@battlewraith

Did you not see the link? So he was banned for producing "original" artwork? Wow, those guys must be really harsh over there.

Far to many similarities to not give credit to the original artist (Laura Martin). She should have been cited as the reference.

The number of posts I have is irrelevant to the statement made and the reference link provided.

If a person used a piece of artwork for reference, then it should be cited.

Comment

• battlewraith
                        • May 2013

I saw your link and I went there. The image that he supposedly ripped off was no longer in the thread--I'm not going to go digging further on some other website to prove your case. I have no experience with that other site--they may be harsh, who knows? I don't really care, to be honest. It doesn't seem to relate to this instance. I can see the current two images myself. I don't agree with your assessment.

There is one similar thing similar between the two: the radial lighting in the background. Is this a trademark effect that she originated? I don't believe so. I've used similar effects in some of my work and I've never heard of her before. Beyond that, he's got deeper values in his and he did a better job with the reflections of the cape on the metal. Your claim isn't convincing.
                        sketchbook thread

Comment

• SeanE
                          I colour stuff
                          • Feb 2003

Fine. To save further hassles I've edited the original post to cite Laura Martin. Personally, I of course think mine is distinctive enough in overall appearance not to confuse the two

Yes of course I've seen the original before. It's not hard to miss considering the original is at least 10 years old and a simple google search brings it up without any problem. Did I know Laura did it? No. She never put a sig on the original shown here in a follow up post so how am I to guess that? I don't read comics, I just do the colours for fun, a monthly zenescope cover gig when they give me one, and the occasional one off con poster/print, in that order...

If anyone still has doubts I can upload my master layered photoshop file - but be warned, it's about 300mb all up. Additionally I can do this for almost every picture I've ever coloured as they are all backed up on my external HHD's ( I've lost maybe a dozen or so over the years due to disk crashes etc)

For those who care, here's the link to the highres inks on mark morales DA gallery --> http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs28/f/20...arkMorales.jpg

Sean
                          Last edited by SeanE; 09-16-2013, 08:48 AM.
                          I colour stuff...

Comment

• Krosis
                            Ever in pursuit of the "Crimson Short"
                            • Jun 2002

I personally would love to see such a beast.. not b/c I have any doubts.. More just to see how someone puts it all together so I can look at it and go "oh... OK... *that's* how that's done"

but... don't send it though.. 300mb's too much for my inbox. (make one avail for a short time as a DL on your site maybe?)

(edit to add)

If you put both of these in PS.. Sean's at 100% and the other at 38.4%.. then click back and forth between the 2.. You can clearly see the differences between them.
                            Last edited by Krosis; 09-16-2013, 03:20 AM.
                            I do not have a.. "designation". My name.. is Krosis
                            There and black again.. An Inker's Tale.
                            My deviantart gallery

Comment

• Carl_Shinyama
                              • Jun 2012

It most certainly was not a copy and/or alter of an original coloring job. To say so exposes one's own laziness and/or ignorance.

Seems to me that Zteulp just did a cursory glance and called it a copy without really studying the differences between the two, of which there were quite a good deal of. Are there similarities? Yes. Is it a copy? No. Are there enough differences to tell the two apart? Abso-effin'-lutely.

Yes, Zteulp, I read that link that you posted, and I looked any and all colors of that Captain Britain/Psylocke piece by Mark Brooks, including one that was colored by Brooks himself, and in no instance was Sean's piece similar enough to be considered a copy or altered version of another's work.

It also seems really silly that Sean got banned from the other site because people could not tell the differences between his work and others'.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/CarlShinyama

Windsurfer Twitter: https://twitter.com/WindsurferComic

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/WindsurferComic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X