• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diesel
    Not quitting his day job yet...
    [SUPPORTER]
    • Mar 2009

"Classic" Anime Collage - Pummel

Here is my entry for pummel this month. I really pushed myself on some aspects and I'm quite proud of how it turned out. I do see a few little things, but would love some c & c.

I know that her hands are a little small and that the first Akira guy's (on the left of the vehicle) forearm is a little long. A few people have made comments about her face (and particularly her mouth) being off, but I don't see what they are talking about. Help, please? Anything else...?

Thank you!
    My Site!!
    My DeviantART Profile!!
    Pummel: Middleweight
    Stats: Wins: 15 | Losses: 16 | KOs: 9
  • ReggieR3mote
    [SUPPORTER]
    • Mar 2011

With the girl there's a lot of her top teeth showing and it's kinda hard to tell whats goin with the relationship between her bottom teeth and bottom lip. But ya you have alot of nice things goin on the folds in speed racers cloths are cool and everything is consistent and clean.
    http://xedg3x.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Pummel: MiddleWeight
    Wins: 22 Losses: 28 KO:8
    History

Comment

• ssss6eight1
      • Oct 2010

Sailor Moon looks like a cross-dresser. Use some photo-ref of a pretty asian girl (if you don't become dependent on it, it's alright to use some photo-reference). And her hair's supposed to be like two big ribbons, not a bunch of little ones (or that's how everyone thinks of her, at least... I don't know). Sailor Moon's supposed to be so hot you've forgotten she's 13.

Everything else is pretty cool. I think it'd be better if you added more characters to it, though. That white space behind Speed Racer seems like it's begging to be filled with more stuff (it is a collage, after all... throw in some DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin, or some Nausicaa and Lupin the IIIrd, or whatever else you're into).
      Crying over never-made sequels to underrated movies. All day, every day.

DA
      PJ
      Tumblr
      Twitter

Comment

• Diesel
        Not quitting his day job yet...
        [SUPPORTER]
        • Mar 2009

Thanks for the comments, Reggie and sssss6eight1.

I'm still a bit confused...

For her face I used various photos for reference (I googled "woman laughing"). One of the primary ones I looked at was this:
        Find a rich selection of royalty-free, stock photos on Depositphotos. Buy high-quality images at affordable prices. Download pictures for commercial use and more.

Note that there are no bottom teeth showing....

I know very little about these characters - basically what I picked up skimming wikipedia (sorry - never really gotten into manga). I saw that Sailor Moon was supposed to be like 13 or 14, but I thought maybe that was just at the start of that comic/series since she is usually drawn with a mature figure. So I thought she was supposed to be more like 18-21... I did use photo ref (as noted above; in addition I took photos of my wife and one of her friends to use for the figure). (On a side note - she is blond with blue eyes... why would I use photo reference of an asian girl?) When I looked at the result of a google image search for Sailor Moon I found these pics much more interesting in how they treated her hair:

... and there seemed to be enough of them that I didn't think the image of her with strands of hair and not ribbons would be jarring to fans (obviously I was wrong).

I think I definitely could have given her a softer and rounder jawline to make her look more feminine. It also seems that I should have stuck more closely to the standard interpretation of Sailor Moon (at least for the fans that know her).

I did consider adding more characters (and tried sketching in Godzilla to the left of Speed), but it seemed pretty busy; and when I looked at it cropping out the big block of white space it also seemed pretty busy so I decided some negative space wasn't such a bad thing. (Again - I could be wrong).

Thanks again for the comments. (Keep 'em coming!) I've gotta figure out where things didn't work here so I don't make those mistake again!
        My Site!!
        My DeviantART Profile!!
        Pummel: Middleweight
        Stats: Wins: 15 | Losses: 16 | KOs: 9

Comment

• dxdragon
          • Jul 2002

That's not woman,.....

If you can't see that she looks like a dude....then I dunno how to help you!
          www.keithdustin.com

Ron Burgandy is down! and it is Baddd!

The worm has turned and it's packing an uzi!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X