Looking for constructive critiques~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for constructive critiques~

I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, this piece needs some feedback so I can understand what I need to do to move forward.

It was for a drawoff and the subject was "Kick-Ass", not my favorite subject but a challenge to make it fun for me, which is why it took me some time to finish. Coloring is not my strength but I try to use it whenever I get a chance. I tried to make this as gory as the comic, not familiar with guts and brains flying out so I winged it.

Republican Batman is just a random thought I used to get this moving.

https://www.facebook.com/MorganzaX

I think the main issues come from the colors. There is a disconnect in the light source, and aside from the red character, the colors are coming off flat. It also seems like you were going for a foggy or smokey atmosphere, but the colors on the characters are too saturated which kills it. I think if you had gone with a blue-ish tint to the background and gone darker with it, it would have given more depth and mood. And if you had gone bolder with using the gunfire as a lightsource, it would have made it a more dramatic scene.
    See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
    DeviantArt

Comment

I think if you are going to go with colors, you should maybe look at how colors were handled over alot of Barry Windsor Smith pieces. Because it seems like you completely abandon one of the most beautiful aspects about your work when you color. That being the linework and hatch work that I think you've mastered. I'd try to find a coloring style and method that adds to that rather than doing away with it.
      DeviantArt

Comment

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4163/bwswppr.jpg

Something more along the lines of this.
        DeviantArt

Comment

That image is cool. I think from now on I'm going to keep my cross hatching B&W and not even worry about coloring. But I will experiment, the colors in that image made me realize something else.

Thanks Again Dave!

Comment

- Alrik
            Last edited by alrik; 06-15-2012, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alrik View Post
              Hey bud. I think there are several problems. The coloring is really distracting in some parts, especially on the cape. The anatomy of the guy in red is confusing a little bit. His left leg, the way it connects to his pelvis, it looks disjointed. His head, at the very least should be higher. As a matter of fact, if you took his head, raised it and tilted it, the whole image would come together, IMHO.
              Yeah the left leg is too high, I'd have to see the head raised and tilted to know how that would work. Thanks for the crits.

Comment

Originally posted by BPS Morganza View Post
                That image is cool. I think from now on I'm going to keep my cross hatching B&W and not even worry about coloring. But I will experiment, the colors in that image made me realize something else.

Thanks Again Dave!
                No problem man.

I'm curious what you realized?
                DeviantArt

Comment

I agree that the coloring flattens out the piece in general. It's using all local color without thought to how the atmosphere you created would effect the colors. The color also isn't used in relation to the narrative at all. For instance, if you wanted to focus on the gore, perhaps the red of the blood would be the only saturated color and everything else should be duller. Red is one of my absolute favorite colors to use in narrative. You can really control the flow of a piece by judicious use of red.

Color is really tricky, and it's taken me a few years to get really comfortable with it. I don't know if this would help, but try a very limited palette. Choose your colors before starting your digital coloring, and stick to them, resisting temptation to use the color slider. I didn't get any good at color until I started using limited earth or mud palettes. Now I can use a full palette without going bananas.
                  Website
                  Facebook

PUMMEL: Heavyweight W: 15 L: 5 KO: 11
                  LHW Champ: 1

Comment

Thats a great suggestion Wassy, thanks.

Dave, I don't even remember, It was probably something not related to art. My brain is full of useless information.

Comment

Morg was it that you realized that you (like me) are secretly in love with BWS?
                      Light Heavy W-38 L-15 KO-18
                      deviant art
                      tumblr
                      PJ blog

Comment

That could be, I hardly ever see his work, and that conan page is totally brilliant.

Comment

Morgan, I gave some feedback on the other thread, and I think that many have touched on some good points here, but let, e ask you a question - do you feel this is your best work...or even close?

I've seen your stuff before, and you're a Heavy in pummel, but if this piece weighed in, where would it land?

I'm all for experimentation in your art, and I encourage you to try new things, but don't get too fazed if not every piece is a home run. Sometimes, some pieces are just for learning.
                          My Deviant Art page
                          My PUMMEL stats
                          PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
                          2 Time Heavyweight Champion
                          Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

Definitely not a bad piece. I think it may have been better off either WITHOUT the colors or if there was a bit more contrast/depth to them. I like the light coming off the gunshot but I think if you set an imaginary light source behind or over them all and worked your lights and shadows around that, it would make it stronger as a whole. Still though, good work man!

Comment

I agree with you Arrington, I should have just kept it simple and concentrated on penciling. Now that I'm in pummel I can take each pic to completion within a month, so that'll be fun.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X