Circle logo in done in Illustrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle logo in done in Illustrator

This is a circle logo project for my Adobe Illustrator class, I had a heck of a time wrapping the word "comics" around the bottom of the circle properly, but I found a tutorial online that explained it well enough that I was able to get it right after a couple of tries. The teacher said we could make up our own company, so this is the comic book company I want to create:

I had trouble making the dog head symmetrical, if anyone here knows Illustrator CS5 and wants to give me some tips, I'd appreciate the help. My teacher said to erase half of the dog's head, then do something to duplicate the half that's still there, but I can't figure out how to erase half of the head. I have notes that describe how to duplicate half of the head, but I can't figure out how to erase half of the head.
    Last edited by Ace Corona; 04-06-2012, 03:50 AM.
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

The actual logo in itself (the circle, stars and text) look great. I just don't like the dog head. It's not just that it's unnsymmetrical, but I just don't like the style of dog you chose. Did you choose that look for a reason?

Comment

i will reply later when i am not on my phone.
      Light Heavy W-38 L-15 KO-18
      deviant art
      tumblr
      PJ blog

Comment

Originally posted by svonhershman View Post
        The actual logo in itself (the circle, stars and text) look great. I just don't like the dog head. It's not just that it's unnsymmetrical, but I just don't like the style of dog you chose. Did you choose that look for a reason?
        The dog is a character I came up with when I was a kid, he is based on my grandparent's dog back then. I made a lot of comics about him when I was age 10 through 12. (I'm 41 now.) I'm using him for sentimental reasons.
        The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

I like the concept a lot very clean just a few things that I see
          The word river dog the spacing is off ie r and I are touching and then with the e r d again you could have them all touch or keep them all spaced
          The dog is a cool but from a glance it seems like he has no lower jaw with just a few more lines you could fix this
          All in all solid concept!
          MIKEY LIKES IT!

Comment

you should take one side of the dog head and copy and flip it and then you would have a perfect dog head.
            "when there's no more room in hell...the dead will walk the earth."

my drawings
            my crazy music
            my facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MrMikey View Post
              I like the concept a lot very clean just a few things that I see
              The word river dog the spacing is off ie r and I are touching and then with the e r d again you could have them all touch or keep them all spaced
              The dog is a cool but from a glance it seems like he has no lower jaw with just a few more lines you could fix this
              All in all solid concept!
              Thanks for the advice, Mr. Mikey, I went and added more space between the lettering:

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by golgotha View Post
                you should take one side of the dog head and copy and flip it and then you would have a perfect dog head.
                The problem is, I don't know how to erase the half of the head I don't want, I need someone to walk me through it.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

I'm sorry Ace. You must go to the worst school. I would look into attending another after this semester. Some of your many questions are so basic they should be covered in the first week of class. As is the case with this question.

First, an instructor who says erase makes me suspect their knowledge of the program.
                  You should have been taught how to delete (not erase) a path and points the first day, if not the first week.

Okay enough of my bemused ranting.

Pull a guideline over to the middle of the dog.

Select the cutting/knife tool and cut on the paths that touch your guideline.

Select everything on the side you want to get rid of with your direct selection tool and delete it.

Select and group the remaining side. Keep it selected.

Then double click the reflect tool. The dialogue box will come up. Select Vertical and Angle should be 90. Click Copy.

Move the the copy into place.

Now a suggestion. All Adobe program tools work the same basically. Take the time to learn how one program really works and it will be much easier to learn the others.

Most of your confusion will be cleared up if you take a step back so you are not overwhelmed with information. You are trying to learn how to use the computer, drawing programs and many other art/drawing things at the same time. Take some baby steps after the semester is over and get yourself grounded in the basics one at a time.
                  Last edited by Symson; 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM.
                  Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute Book is free to download.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Comment

Thanks Symson, but how do I make a guideline? I wrote down your instructions, I just need to know how to make a guideline before I begin.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

ctrl R = rulers

ctrl V = solid arrow

go to vertical ruler on the side and drag your guide line to where u want it.
                      www.keithdustin.com

Ron Burgandy is down! and it is Baddd!

The worm has turned and it's packing an uzi!

Comment

Symson is right though ...worst teacher or school ever
                        www.keithdustin.com

Comment

these are older but almost all the shortcuts are the same as CS 3-5

http://www.keithdustin.com/Adobe_shr...llustrator.pdf

http://www.keithdustin.com/Adobe_shr..._photoshop.pdf

http://www.keithdustin.com/Adobe_shr...s_indesign.pdf
                          www.keithdustin.com

Comment

And there is a help function in all the programs. You have to take some responsibility yourself. A lot of info is at your fingertips. Typing in Guides or guidelines would yield some answers.

Even if you had a good teacher you can't expect to be spoon fed. You have to get into the program and play with it. You can't break it. Just try every tool and command just to see what it does. PLAY! And along the way you'll learn.
                            Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute Book is free to download.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Comment

Thanks for your help, DXDragon and Symson, I tried doing it a couple of different times and I managed to delete half of the dog head and copy it and move it into place, but when I tried using rulers at the beginning I think I did something wrong because there were guidelines in places where I didn't want them, and I couldn't make them go away. Also, the muzzle ended up looking too far to the left when I was done copying the half of the head.

I guess I'm just going to leave it like it is for now, the project is due Monday, I can try to re-do the logo during the summer, when I have more time. All I want is a passing grade in this class, I've been having a lot of difficulty, but I've turned in the major projects so far. It just seems like some of the time when the textbook tells me to do something, it doesn't work for me like it does in the book or for other people.

The teacher has a lot of students, so she doesn't always have a lot of time to spend with the slow learners like myself, and when she does show me how to do something, she doesn't explain how it's done, she just does it herself, then I'm left high and dry wondering how she did whatever it was that she did.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X