Inside the Keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside the Keep

Just finished a rather large concept painting, an interior environment for Lionskeep castle, which is a major setting in my CO book "Echo Callaway". I don't really consider environments a strength of mine, and this piece was challenging on a number of levels, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Larger version can be seen here.

Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

The environment looks good.

My crit is on the composition. You have basically crammed your characters into one corner which made you do some drastic cropping on them. On the opposite side, you have put a giant banner over potential detail at ground level. Also, the black haired girl seems out of place because of how close she is to us compared to the rest of the characters. Plus her hair is a solid color which makes it stand out and looks flat and the pins in her hair blend in to the lion.

I would take out the banner, bring the balcony around where the banner was, and move your cropped characters around to the right side balcony gazing down at the people below.....Something like this:

[email protected]

Instagram
    http://instagram.com/shannon_hall_art#

DA
    http://shameous.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

I agree with the comment above that would be the only crit.. With that beig said you did fantastic on capturing how massive this place is with the lighting and lower balconys. Putting the elephant in there really helps with the scale on the ground and the angle on the lion statues around the beam of light is incredible. This is insane and well done sir!
      MIKEY LIKES IT!

Comment

Thanks for the great drit, Shannon; and taking the time to do a great paint-over. I liked your solution a lot, but I ended up going in a different direction, mostly to avoid changing the design of the balconies. Still, I think it addresses your concerns, which were very valid.

Mike, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it. It definitely took its toll in sheer hours, so I'm glad the sanse of massive scale came across.

new version:

Last edited by Adam Masterman; 04-01-2012, 06:16 PM.
        Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X