Inks Sample - Supes + Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inks Sample - Supes + Batman

Pencils by fellow Spaniard Mikel Janin (who btw, used to post here and now works for DC! )
    Facebook - Twitter - DA - Blog

I kinda like the batman side a bit better. The Supes looks a bit over rendered. Especially on the face. I know you were trying to preserve some of those light pencils, but you might have just tried to loose some of those lines. (also you're gonna catch crap for the halo on batman, but I like halos)
    My Deviant Art Page
    My Pummel Matches
    P.U.M.M.E.L. Middle Weight - Stats - Wins 19 - Lose 6 - KO's 16 - Tie 2

Comment

Thanks man. I don't really mind halos if used only when needed so bring on the crap!

It's funny you say that about Supes, I guess his style isn't about lighting and shadows so I felt it looked a bit empty without those little lines. Overall I tried to have a very clean and perfect Superman half of the page and a rougher and darker one for Batman, not sure if that came across, though

Comment

I don't think the inks really brought much to the Superman piece, and in places (most noticeably around the hand nearest to us) the inks actually lose some of the weight and impact of the original pencils. The Batman side is much more successful at adding depth and weight to the pencils, but the halo was unnecessary. There are no real busy areas that would get confused, nor are there any heavy shadows that would cause it to lose form if the halo were omitted. Because of that, the halo really just serves to pull Batman out of the composition, almost like a cutout imposed over the background.

That said, your inks are really clean and smooth, and mostly avoid that feeling of just being darkened pencils that a lot of the current crop of inkers have. Overall it's nice work, but could benefit if you went more aggressive with the inks.
        it’s as if he figured that sheer repetition would wear them down, forcing them to submit to his strange, incompetent genius.

Pummel: W 11 | L 5 | KO 8

http://elamin.daportfolio.com/

Comment

I second aggressive inks...
          Juan I totally got the clean supes and gritty batman. Good stuff there man.
          As far as the cleanliness of this peice, my picks on supes 'over rendered' look really goes back to the pencils. I'm a big fan of really clean smooth looking lines. So most of my comments really just go back to my personal preference. really all my crits do.
          My Deviant Art Page
          My Pummel Matches
          P.U.M.M.E.L. Middle Weight - Stats - Wins 19 - Lose 6 - KO's 16 - Tie 2

Comment

Thanks guys, it´s great to see what others have to say, good or not-so-good. This piece has me confused, some have told me it´s their favorite among all the pieces they´ve seen from me and others like Solace aren´t crazy about it. The thing is I can see the point on both so I don´t know what to think.
            Mikel himself loves it but I think he does because I didn´t mess with his pencils too much, I tried to adapt to his style. Others push for being aggressive and adding my own stamp to the piece, which I can´t disagree with, so… I don´t know. I think I ´m hesitant about taking somebody´s pencils and make them mine a little too much and ruin what was a good page to start with and on the other hand I try to adapt to all kinds of penciling styles so I´m not seen as a one trick pony… so really, I don´t know.
            But anyway, enough rambling, thanks guys for the honest feedback

Comment

The art is boring...nothing you can do about that. But, your inks are top notch, my friend, so keep it up! I cant believe someone hasn't snatched you up yet. I'm routing for you, man!
              [email protected]

Instagram
              http://instagram.com/shannon_hall_art#

DA
              http://shameous.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

A lot of it comes down to how people view inking, it seems. My favorite inkers are people like Townsend, Williams, Banning, Buckingham and guys like that who make the art almost a collaborative piece. Townsend vs Buckingham vs Townsend over Bachelo for example give you three different flavors, while maintaining a look that is definitively Bachelo. Bachelo tends to do somewhat loose originals though (similar to people like Lee and other old school guys) and rely on the inker to take care of the rest. You can even go back to Klaus Janson over Frank Miller, as opposed to when Miller inks himself. Miller goes for a messier more aggressive style, while Janson tended to tighten him up with smoother strokes. To me that improves the work through additive skill, the same as a good colorist will.

Other pencillers (usually the ones who are very picky about their lineweights, shadows, and textures) like the inkers to just darken the piece and smooth out the lines and blacks. That's fine too, it's just a preference thing. Just learn and work with both, then communicate with the artist to see which they prefer. I'd be very interested in seeing you do two takes on a single piece, one like the ones above where you're very faithful to the originals, and another where you push it a bit.
                it’s as if he figured that sheer repetition would wear them down, forcing them to submit to his strange, incompetent genius.

Pummel: W 11 | L 5 | KO 8

http://elamin.daportfolio.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X